Missing Control Panel Item

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

WIN XP HE
Hi,
I could swear that I use to have an item in Control Panel called "Internet
Options". It seems to have disappeared....
Could this be?
If so, How do get it back in there as it was pretty convenient....
Tx,

"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> WIN XP HE
> Hi,
> I could swear that I use to have an item in Control Panel called "Internet
> Options". It seems to have disappeared....
> Could this be?
> If so, How do get it back in there as it was pretty convenient....
> Tx,

Try switching to the classic view or in the category view you will find it
under network and Internet connections> change Internet settings.

gls858

Hi,
It is not in te Classic View--at all.
In the category view, it must be Network and Internet Connections|Set up or
change your internet connection--is that right?

> Hi,
> It is not in te Classic View--at all.
> In the category view, it must be Network and Internet Connections|Set up
> or
> change your internet connection--is that right?
>
> gls858 wrote:
>> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> WIN XP HE
>>> Hi,
>>> I could swear that I use to have an item in Control Panel called
>>> "Internet Options". It seems to have disappeared....
>>> Could this be?
>>> If so, How do get it back in there as it was pretty convenient....
>>> Tx,
>>>

>> Try switching to the classic view or in the category view you will find
>> it
>> under network and Internet connections> change Internet settings.
>>
>> gls858

That's right, but it was also in my classic view. Sure it's not
just out of view? Do an arrange icons by name in the detail view.

gls858

"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> WIN XP HE
> Hi,
> I could swear that I use to have an item in Control Panel called "Internet
> Options". It seems to have disappeared....
> Could this be?
> If so, How do get it back in there as it was pretty convenient....
> Tx,

You can reach the same Control Panel applet by launching Microsoft Internet
Explorer. From the MSIE menu bar, select | Tools | Internet Options |.

If the applet still won't launch, then it may have been modified to prevent
the applet from being launched. The actual applet filename for Internet
Options is "inetcpl.cpl" (no typing errors). "cpl" occurs twice in the
filename. If you can locate the file, double-clicking on the file should
launch the Control Panel applet.

The Control Panel applets (*.cpl) are in the c:\windows\system32 folder. In
some cases, administrators rename the applets to prevent end-users from
launching the applet. Or, the applet(s) may have been deleted or moved
without realizing their purpose.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Good link--I like those tweaks...
I am not sure if my personal "don't load" subkey is normal.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load
Default Reg_SZ (value not set)
Inetcpl.cpl Reg_SZ
Inetcpll.cpl Reg_SZ
Ncpa.cpl Reg_SZ No
Netcpl.cpl Reg_SZ
obdccp32.cpl Reg_SZ No

Where there is nothing after Reg_SZ it is blank in my registry
Is there anything weird there?

The Unknown P wrote:
> try line 225 or\and line 268. Post back if you need more help.

Have you tried System Restore?

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
saturnin02 wrote:
> WIN XP HE
> Hi,
> I could swear that I use to have an item in Control Panel called "Internet
> Options". It seems to have disappeared....
> Could this be?
> If so, How do get it back in there as it was pretty convenient....
> Tx,

TRENDING THREADS