Microsoft Scoops Up Home Automation Startup Before Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"a home entertainment tech startup with no products on the market save for an Android app called R2 Control for Crestron for controlling heating and lighting systems"

So, why did MS, Google, and Apple have interest in that company? Is because of the patents?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Microsoft: saving the day from another patent troll attempt.

My guess is Microsoft is going to make a Windows Phone 8 port for it and maybe use it as leverage to get what they want from Google and Youtube. Most likely Microsoft will pick up alot of popular android app developers to do this.

G

I wonder, out of the companies Microsoft acquired over the years, how many created a meaningful use and earned a profit over the cost of acquisition?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]I wonder, out of the companies Microsoft acquired over the years, how many created a meaningful use and earned a profit over the cost of acquisition?[/citation]
A few did but not always in obvious ways. PowerPoint and Visio were acquisitions. Often companies buy other companies for access to potential customers or their developers, not specific products. They've probably done better with acquisitions than they have with R&D:
http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-huge-r-d-budget-useless-best-ideas-194130737.html

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]infernocy[/nom]so paterns is a legal way to make money now ?[/citation]

Considering the fact that the patent troll industry is pulling an ever increasing revenue from hounding small inventors/entrepreneurs, sadly, yes.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
can't wait for the XBOX 360's successor. Hope it includes the ability to install a M CableCard and supports Multi-Room DVR. That would hurt the competition.

largg

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
[citation][nom]jonjonjon[/nom]i hope to god they didn't name the next xbox the xbox infinity. how lame. wtf is wrong with ms? i used to like them.[/citation]

This is what I want. TiVo combined with XBox/PS4/WiiU in one unit. And a higher end unit with the home automation stuff in it. If it meshed well I would be all over it.

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
"tech startup with no products on the market save for an Android app called R2 Control for Crestron for controlling heating and lighting systems. "

I certainly hope they have something more compelling than THAT pathetic offering!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jonjonjon[/nom]i hope to god they didn't name the next xbox the xbox infinity. how lame. wtf is wrong with ms? i used to like them.[/citation]I agree that sounds dumb. Xbox 720 sounds better.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Uhh you do realize this is not google, its Microsoft right? Google does the spyware and snooping. Microsoft makes private browsing standard and asks permission if you want to send them error reports.

[citation][nom]kellybean[/nom]Like I would want MS software/spyware running my house. One reason I won't buy a Ford besides the UAW.[/citation]
MS does not snoop. period. end of story. That is the realm of Google and Apple. Google sells stuff cheap, and makes their money off of data mining the hell out of everything you do (and I say this as a proud Google Chrome user). MS charges more of their stuff, but once you own it, it is yours, and they do not feel the need to track what you are doing.

As for Ford... ya, they are not that great, but they are not terrible either. I have to respect them for not taking gov't bailouts, or bundling their cars with craptastic tracking systems like OnStar. Their only problem is the UAW, which makes their cars too expensive. But if their cars were a little cheaper I would be all over them.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]So, why did MS, Google, and Apple have interest in that company? Is because of the patents?[/citation]

Probably. They probably have a patent on the idea of controlling certain devices remotely, even though patents on ideas are not supposed to be legal.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I can imagine that MS has a plan for the next Xbox to become the 'control centre' if you like for the house.

It lets you control the media, grocery ordering, set the temperature, close your curtains, adjust the lights when you play a movie etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.