liller nic card vs pic nic card do they both offload work-

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
liller nic card vs pci nic card do they both offload work from the cpu? the killer nic card says it does? then wouldnt a pci card do the same? what then is the difference between the onboard nic

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
The Killer NIC is just marketing for suckers. $300? They know most extreme gamers know nothing about networking and just go out and buy the fastest, most expensive gear they see in ads. The only instance it may be worth it is if you have it in a LAN server for local matches. In which case it's dedicated anyway and you wouldn't have it also downloading music and email during gaming. The Killer NIC can't do anything about incoming packets from your ISP. They arrive in whatever order they arrive in. A better performance increase can be found in adding RAM, faster video, or faster disk.

As for a NIC card vs. onboard, if you have a CPU faster than 2.0Ghz it isn't going to be the least bit stressed by the network interface. The onboard has a controller chip and driver, just as the PCI NIC card. And the new Gig onboard ports are still limited by your 10/100 router, which is further limited by the 6MB ISP connection.

So use the onboard if you have one, otherwise any brand name $35 ethernet adapter will give you all the performance you'll ever need at home.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Thanks, I do have the asus onboard nic (p5wd2-e) but i was looking at it to strickly offload work from the cpu the little that may be , even though I have PD's past 4ghz. I want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the d805 since i just use it for benchmarking/gaming.
I would not buy that $300 card i was just trying to figure out if an add in pci nic card would offload work more then the onboard nic.