X2 4800+ 2,4GHz 2x1MB 65nm 65W AM2 December
X2 4400+ 2,2GHz 2x1MB 65nm 65W AM2 December
X2 4000+ 2,0GHz 2x1MB 65nm 65W AM2 December
Sempron 3800+ 2,2GHz 256KB 90nm 62W AM2 Oktober
Sempron 3500+ 2,0GHz 128KB 90nm 35W AM2 Oktober

this should help a little in catching tem pesky conroes

More about : amd roadmap 65nm 4x4

September 22, 2006 9:14:26 AM

WTF are the FX-7X series? And why are they for socket 1207?
September 22, 2006 9:20:49 AM

To clear up a few things:

The FX-7X series are presumed to be the processors for the 4x4 platform, they are indeed socket F processors and are going to be sold in pairs.

'Voor Kerst' means that they are going to be available before Christmass...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 22, 2006 9:21:31 AM

4x4 systems are socket 1207
September 22, 2006 9:26:36 AM

Quote:
'Voor Kerst' means that they are going to be available before Christmass...

thanks
September 22, 2006 9:50:07 AM

I was under the impression that they were going to be using the AM2 socket for 4X4. Looks like they're not even trying to hide the fact that this 4X4 is nothing more than a 2P opteron puter.
September 22, 2006 10:22:16 AM

is there a link to a trusted site that can confirm this anouncement?
September 22, 2006 10:37:32 AM

4x4 isnt just Co-Processors or quad cores... it is bigger future then most people think. you have many things involed... you have direct access through HT between 2 processors... now some people think that this crap compare to intel's C2D processors which will be linked. this will open the duel processor motherboards to home users for one, really to high end market like gamers. also you have new technology like the "Torrenza" platform (Article here).

Quote:
the technology will allow third party hardware developer to integrate their own silicon into a spare socket on a Torrenza motherboard and combine their technology with an AMD Opteron or Athlon CPU. Conceivably, this socket could house co-processors - so-called "accelerators" - that focus on specialized applications such as physics, floating-point calculations, storage or graphics.

this will be the NEW future to EVERYONE. now for thoses at did forget AMD and ATI did merge... can you say specialized applications like GRAPHICS, maybe even a graphic CPU, not to mention developers can intergrate their OWN technology. will there be CPU based DirX and OpenGL type CPU extentions? i am sure ATI will take the multi core CPU technhology and advance their GPU cards. alot of companies are seeing the bigger picture and they are liking it. Dell, IBM, Cray, and Sun just to name a few companies. also will microsoft's new operating system also be able to take advanage of this... microsoft was included in the private 4x4 conference. remember quantium computers was the only ones able to high end physics. intel can NOT copy this even with intel / amd trade agreement for extentions. this is a plateform and AMDs alone. intel will try to compete in this but will they develop something in time. but this is just speculation from known facts from past articles to wonder what is AMD/ATI is really upto. ATI did mention laptop graphics restriction due to screen savers, power savers, and other display actions that cant be controlled by GPU but form the CPU, is something like specilized CPU fix this?

i think personally AMD/ATI is on the right track. specilized CPUs intergrated with developer technology and through HT. pertty much in a centeral area... more intergration in the CPU area.
September 22, 2006 10:44:16 AM

Quote:
I was under the impression that they were going to be using the AM2 socket for 4X4. Looks like they're not even trying to hide the fact that this 4X4 is nothing more than a 2P opteron puter.

It's been open knowledge that the 4x4 would be socket 1207 for months now, where have you been!
September 22, 2006 11:22:20 AM

These are good news unless they retain FX-62 prices or worse;
1-FX series migrating to a new socket
2-AMD officially over the 3 GHz wall.
September 22, 2006 11:49:53 AM

Quote:
Taken from http://tweakers.net/nieuws/44504/AMD...cket-1207.html

Model Klok Cache Procéde TDP Socket Intro
FX-74 3,0GHz 2x1MB 90nm 125W 1207 before Christmas
FX-72 2,8GHz 2x1MB 90nm 125W 1207 before Christmas
FX-70 2,6GHz 2x1MB 90nm 125W 1207 before Christmas
X2 6000+ 3,0GHz 2x1MB 90nm 125W AM2 November
X2 5600+ 2,8GHz 2x1MB 90nm 98W AM2 November
X2 5400+ 2,8GHz 2x512KB 90nm 98W AM2 November
X2 5000+ 2,6GHz 2x512KB 65nm 65W AM2 December

I have a feeling that FX series 4x4 AM2 Boards will be produced until begining of next year: to give the owners or potential FX buyers a change to use AMD 4x4 AM2 and They might be migrating to socket 1207 To give them a boost in every thing to fit in some stuff they are planning or have planned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_4x4_chipset

Says that AMD 4x4 Only for AM2 but i have a feeling that it won't be like that for long, This might only be a 2-3 Month relationship to board production of AM2 and then they might tie them selfs to another socket as this german site shown
September 22, 2006 12:02:24 PM

Quote:

I have a feeling that FX series 4x4 AM2 Boards will be produced until begining of next year: to give the owners or potential FX buyers a change to use AMD 4x4 AM2 and They might be migrating to socket 1207 To give them a boost in every thing to fit in some stuff they are planning or have planned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_4x4_chipset

Says that AMD 4x4 Only for AM2 but i have a feeling that it won't be like that for long, This might only be a 2-3 Month relationship to board production of AM2 and then they might tie them selfs to another socket as this german site shown

There will NEVER be an AM2 based 4x4 system, it's simple really as the AM2 socket can only have 1 HT link, to have a duel CPU AM2 system would require this link to talk to the other CPU, thus you would have to forgo things like hard disks, graphics cards, IO, network, keyboards, mouse etc to have the second CPU... Does not sound like a useable system to me..

LOL at the wiki page tbh - it's just sooo wrong!
September 22, 2006 12:04:16 PM

German?... It all looks a bit Dutch to me! :?
September 22, 2006 12:14:44 PM

Isn't it netherlands? Either way, it's close to afrikaans which is my home language. Gotta go home now before more customers come.
September 22, 2006 12:16:42 PM

Quote:
4x4 isnt just Co-Processors or quad cores... it is bigger future then most people think. you have many things involed... you have direct access through HT between 2 processors... now some people think that this crap compare to intel's C2D processors which will be linked. this will open the duel processor motherboards to home users for one, really to high end market like gamers. also you have new technology like the "Torrenza" platform (Article here).

the technology will allow third party hardware developer to integrate their own silicon into a spare socket on a Torrenza motherboard and combine their technology with an AMD Opteron or Athlon CPU. Conceivably, this socket could house co-processors - so-called "accelerators" - that focus on specialized applications such as physics, floating-point calculations, storage or graphics.

this will be the NEW future to EVERYONE. now for thoses at did forget AMD and ATI did merge... can you say specialized applications like GRAPHICS, maybe even a graphic CPU, not to mention developers can intergrate their OWN technology. will there be CPU based DirX and OpenGL type CPU extentions? i am sure ATI will take the multi core CPU technhology and advance their GPU cards. alot of companies are seeing the bigger picture and they are liking it. Dell, IBM, Cray, and Sun just to name a few companies. also will microsoft's new operating system also be able to take advanage of this... microsoft was included in the private 4x4 conference. remember quantium computers was the only ones able to high end physics. intel can NOT copy this even with intel / amd trade agreement for extentions. this is a plateform and AMDs alone. intel will try to compete in this but will they develop something in time. but this is just speculation from known facts from past articles to wonder what is AMD/ATI is really upto. ATI did mention laptop graphics restriction due to screen savers, power savers, and other display actions that cant be controlled by GPU but form the CPU, is something like specilized CPU fix this?

i think personally AMD/ATI is on the right track. specilized CPUs intergrated with developer technology and through HT. pertty much in a centeral area... more intergration in the CPU area.

You getting payed for this?
September 22, 2006 12:19:42 PM

If you have the time, why not? He did put this in it's own thread as well.
September 22, 2006 12:35:32 PM

I freakin hate Shills.
September 22, 2006 12:46:10 PM

I am kinda confused, so is AM2 going to be a short run? 939 seemed to stay around forever. If so, it sucks for people with AM2 right now. If this is the case, I'm selling my AM2 board and going to conroe.
September 22, 2006 1:14:31 PM

Quote:
I am kinda confused, so is AM2 going to be a short run? 939 seemed to stay around forever. If so, it sucks for people with AM2 right now. If this is the case, I'm selling my AM2 board and going to conroe.

AM2 will stick around for some time to come yet - don't expect AM3 until 2008 - but multi CPU, aka 4x4 will be socket 1207.
September 22, 2006 1:22:14 PM

I am going intel next simply because I hate how often AMD switches sockets on me.

Disgruntaled AMD socket 754 early adopter
-Jeff
September 22, 2006 1:25:40 PM

Quote:

It's been open knowledge that the 4x4 would be socket 1207 for months now, where have you been!

Open knowledge??? I must of missed it...link please. Well it still sucks that they are advertising this as something new when in fact it is already out. People today can buy a 2p opteron motherboard, so what is different about this 4X4 jig? Different memory? Different HT? Different MC? Different PCI-e? I 'm not sure but can you buy a 2p opteron MB that supports Sli/CrsFire...hmm maybe that is what they are selling. Who knows, who cares I can't afford one anyways. :roll:
September 22, 2006 1:51:01 PM

AM2 is basically the second generation S754. It was launched initially and will stay around for a while for the entry level. But whats better about AM2 than S754 is that it will accept an AM3 processor, just wont be as high speed as the AM3 so performance will be reduced some what.
September 22, 2006 2:06:54 PM

If my imagination serves me correctly

I am thinking the 2nd socket could be utilized as a 2nd CPU or as a GPU or Physics "Co-Processor"

This will not catch on IMHO unless they share with Intel...

Thanks for the socket clearafication boom boom
-Jeff
September 22, 2006 2:07:03 PM

Quote:

Open knowledge??? I must of missed it...link please. Well it still sucks that they are advertising this as something new when in fact it is already out. People today can buy a 2p opteron motherboard, so what is different about this 4X4 jig? Different memory? Different HT? Different MC? Different PCI-e? I 'm not sure but can you buy a 2p opteron MB that supports Sli/CrsFire...hmm maybe that is what they are selling. Who knows, who cares I can't afford one anyways. :roll:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&...
September 22, 2006 2:11:00 PM

wow... how long has intel been using LGA775 now? AMD does change Sockets too much
September 22, 2006 2:14:39 PM

I don't care if AMD or INTEL releases new sockets.

I do care if they don't support each socket (with new) products for that platform for at least 3 years.

Remember Socket A (AMD) and Socket 478 (Intel)

They were around for along time with new products constantly available.

-Jeff
September 22, 2006 2:19:17 PM

Quote:
wow... how long has intel been using LGA775 now? AMD does change Sockets too much

So you are saying that every LGA775 mobo made will support Core2
September 22, 2006 3:00:05 PM

The LG775 boards that support Core 2 can be seen as a revision. You know kinda like the socket formerly known as K8L.
2008 is way too soon to be releasing another socket to the market. The people that bought AM2 were basically ripped becasue of the lack of really performace gains in the switch beween 939 and 940. You'd need to have real high performance RAM to register the difference.
They'll probably still support AM2 like they're still supporting 939 now but, to me this is terrible market strategy.
September 22, 2006 3:10:02 PM

Quote:

You know what, this is all a running game. At one point one company is dominating (Intel now) and then the other gets first (AMD next year maybe depending on Kentsfield performances). You got to remember in the short term that you'll need 2 cpu (so probably 80% more expensive) instead of 1 for Intel. So AMD might win the performance race, but the price-performance one will hard to win.

It only shows tough that AMD is taking the direction I was hoping CPU manufacturer were gonna take. This is opening the road to specialized coprocessor with direct access to memory. Be it one for AI, one for video encoding or whatever.

I'd like to open something new. I wonder if Intel is already preparing something like that for upcoming NEHALEM. I hope for them they do or they might found their honeymoon with C2D was short lived...
September 22, 2006 3:15:27 PM

Quote:
The LG775 boards that support Core 2 can be seen as a revision. You know kinda like the socket formerly known as K8L.

Whatever gets you to sleep at night :roll: It still requires a new motherboard, which isn't any different than a socket change.

That said, I don't really see any improvement in this list over what they already have out, other than the 4x4 being the only FX processors for the future. They're just renaming the FX-62 and adding a 3 GHz model, which I'm sure won't be worth the money.
September 22, 2006 3:29:05 PM

Quote:

Whatever gets you to sleep at night :roll: It still requires a new motherboard, which isn't any different than a socket change.

That said, I don't really see any improvement in this list over what they already have out, other than the 4x4 being the only FX processors for the future. They're just renaming the FX-62 and adding a 3 GHz model, which I'm sure won't be worth the money.

Yes but in terms of strategy, having a board that supports the entire line up of LGA775 chips and having earlier boards that don't support the newest hotness, is actually good for business. Is it underhanded? Yes. Is it sneaky? Most definetly. Did I waste $150 on a board that wouldn't support Core 2 months before it came out. You damn skippy. But such is the case with a market driven by capitalism.
The real difference between the way that AMD and Intel are doing this is that Intel has a chip that whups AMDs ass. Period. End of story. So people will be more willing to go and get what is the new hotness. New and cheap hotness.
I'm still sticking with my 939 FX 55 for a long while. Probably as long as I've kept my P2. Soon enough the prices of the higher end AMD chips (I'm not talking the FX's cause that'll never come down) will drop so that I can get a reall kick ass system to burn the hell out of with a monster overclock.
a c 99 à CPUs
September 22, 2006 3:35:16 PM

Two questions:

1. What is the difference between a dual Opteron 22xx box and the 4x4?
2. If I was getting a workstation, why would I get a dual Opteron 22xx if the 4x4 was less expensive?
September 22, 2006 6:01:43 PM

If the details posted by the OP’s link are accurate and AMD stick to the line that you will be able to buy two 4x4 CPUs for substantially less than $1000 then the CPU’s will be a lot cheaper.
Opteron 2218 = 2.6GHz = $873 RRP per CPU. If the FX-70 (2.6GHz) turns out to be the CPUs that cost less than $1000 a pair, then there’s a big saving straight away.
Add in the fact that they can use cheaper non-Registered RAM and that the motherboards could also potentially be cheaper and you start to see a large price difference for the overall platform.
September 22, 2006 7:10:05 PM

Quote:
I am going intel next simply because I hate how often AMD switches sockets on me.

Disgruntaled AMD socket 754 early adopter
-Jeff

What a baby. :roll: Early adopter? 754 came out a whiiile ago. Decent new motherboards (aka: a new socket) are less than $80.

People (not necessarily you because I don't know what video card you have) that will dish out $500+ for a new card but complain about a socket change (cheap new motherboard) really get on my nerves.
September 22, 2006 8:54:08 PM

Well I guess this dispeals the notion that 4x4 was "AMD's plan all along". Clearly isn't basically a modified Opteron server platform. I wonder if the use of Socket F means that people will have to use registered memory. That would essentially kill it for gamers because of the increased latencies and decreased bandwidth, and will make it unlikely for mainstream users because of the extra cost.

This also means that people won't be able to use cheap AM2s especially the energy efficient models. 4x4 is obviously going to be a power sucker. And people thought Intel's 120W Kentsfield TDP was a disappointing return to the old days.
September 22, 2006 9:12:09 PM

Oh No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x
BaronBS allready bought two sAM2 X2 5000+ and he was waiting for the 4x4 mainboard to enable the Reverse Hyper Threading! 8O
It is unfair! :cry: 
Looks like none of his dreams will become true. Poor BaronBS, looks like you'll have to stick at mophing the floors. AMD don't like your idea 4x4!
September 23, 2006 1:55:40 AM

Quote:
Well I guess this dispeals the notion that 4x4 was "AMD's plan all along". Clearly isn't basically a modified Opteron server platform. I wonder if the use of Socket F means that people will have to use registered memory. That would essentially kill it for gamers because of the increased latencies and decreased bandwidth, and will make it unlikely for mainstream users because of the extra cost.

This also means that people won't be able to use cheap AM2s especially the energy efficient models. 4x4 is obviously going to be a power sucker. And people thought Intel's 120W Kentsfield TDP was a disappointing return to the old days.

Though rarely wrong LCDR Data, I am afraid in this case you are incorrect. In this case, we all know that 4x4 was Baron Matrixs plan, not AMDs. :wink:
September 23, 2006 2:52:14 AM

Quote:

NO, i am not getting payed for it. but i am a AMD fan. and a little tired of intel fans bashing AMD stuff. plus i have been following AMD articles lately.

Quote:

so what that i put it on this own thread my post did stray away form some 4x4 topics. so why not make it's own post about it.

Quote:
You know what, this is all a running game. At one point one company is dominating (Intel now) and then the other gets first (AMD next year maybe depending on Kentsfield performances). You got to remember in the short term that you'll need 2 cpu (so probably 80% more expensive) instead of 1 for Intel. So AMD might win the performance race, but the price-performance one will hard to win.

It only shows tough that AMD is taking the direction I was hoping CPU manufacturer were gonna take. This is opening the road to specialized coprocessor with direct access to memory. Be it one for AI, one for video encoding or whatever.

I'd like to open something new. I wonder if Intel is already preparing something like that for upcoming NEHALEM. I hope for them they do or they might found their honeymoon with C2D was short lived...

i agree it will boil down to preformance verse cost of this setup. sure there is duel CPU mobos out for workstations and servers but most of them dont have the good chipsets that the single processors have. but i still think this is in the right step in the long run.. maybe not in the short run.

i find this rather funny that intel fans come out. Intel after 2 years finally comes out with something that is equal to OR better, in this case better then AMD and everyone is back on the INTEL band wagon. considering that AMD makes more then just CPUS but stuff that is in your cellphones, TV recievers, and other electronics. but intel fans never mention that intel that mainly focus on CPUs took 2 years to beat AMD and had to advertise too have people look at them as the better brand. just remember it is Advance Micro Devices not Advance Micro Processors
September 23, 2006 3:34:03 AM

is the 1207 a new socket that is coming out??first i've heard of it,and i do a lot of reading.anyways i will check the link you gave and see what's up.later.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
September 23, 2006 3:41:49 AM

Socket F (1207 Pin Land Grid Array)

The socket was released by AMD as a successor to Socket 940 about a month ago I'd say. The only CPUs that currently use it are Santa Rosa core Opterons. Since it's a server socket, it uses ECC memory (Or was it FB-DIMMs?). Anyway, the idea that this will be the 4x4 socket is new news to me. They'll have to make some new chipsets for it to support standard DDR-2, as I can't see anyone spending the money for FB-DIMMs to power this monster otherwise. Only the most diehard AMD fans would use it then.
September 23, 2006 7:11:52 AM

Quote:

NO, i am not getting payed for it. but i am a AMD fan. and a little tired of intel fans bashing AMD stuff. plus i have been following AMD articles lately.

Quote:

so what that i put it on this own thread my post did stray away form some 4x4 topics. so why not make it's own post about it.

Quote:

i agree it will boil down to preformance verse cost of this setup. sure there is duel CPU mobos out for workstations and servers but most of them dont have the good chipsets that the single processors have. but i still think this is in the right step in the long run.. maybe not in the short run.

i find this rather funny that intel fans come out. Intel after 2 years finally comes out with something that is equal to OR better, in this case better then AMD and everyone is back on the INTEL band wagon. considering that AMD makes more then just CPUS but stuff that is in your cellphones, TV recievers, and other electronics. but intel fans never mention that intel that mainly focus on CPUs took 2 years to beat AMD and had to advertise too have people look at them as the better brand. just remember it is Advance Micro Devices not Advance Micro Processors

Well the thing is, its not equal or better, its better, ungodly so. Intel makes things other than processors, in fact they recently sold a cellphone devision off. AMD mainly focuses on CPUs to, and if I remember correctly it took them a while to get K8 out the door as well.
September 23, 2006 3:37:31 PM

Quote:
If the details posted by the OP’s link are accurate and AMD stick to the line that you will be able to buy two 4x4 CPUs for substantially less than $1000 then the CPU’s will be a lot cheaper.
Opteron 2218 = 2.6GHz = $873 RRP per CPU. If the FX-70 (2.6GHz) turns out to be the CPUs that cost less than $1000 a pair, then there’s a big saving straight away.
Add in the fact that they can use cheaper non-Registered RAM and that the motherboards could also potentially be cheaper and you start to see a large price difference for the overall platform.

Good points. Also, it will lower the price to remove PCI-X, SCSI 320, SODIMMs, and go with 2 PCIe x16 and SATA RAID and onboard Azalia.

I figure the mobos will be a max of $200 and a min of $125 depending upon options. This may even be a good time to intro HTX slots on the desktop. That would allow PhysX an order of magnitude more bandwidth over PCI - and a direct CPU connection.
September 23, 2006 3:41:46 PM

Quote:
Oh No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x
BaronBS allready bought two sAM2 X2 5000+ and he was waiting for the 4x4 mainboard to enable the Reverse Hyper Threading! 8O
It is unfair! :cry: 
Looks like none of his dreams will become true. Poor BaronBS, looks like you'll have to stick at mophing the floors. AMD don't like your idea 4x4!

Not you again. DO you notice who always sullies a post with name calling? I think it's you. I would never buy chips without a mobo. I may buy a Dell 4x4 system as they are said to be releasing them.
September 23, 2006 3:45:50 PM

Quote:
Two questions:

1. What is the difference between a dual Opteron 22xx box and the 4x4?
2. If I was getting a workstation, why would I get a dual Opteron 22xx if the 4x4 was less expensive?

Most wksta apps are better run on SCSI320 and PCI-X. Only with nVidia nForce Pro do you even get PCIe x16. If I were buying wkstas for LucasArts, I would go with Opteron. If I were buying for .Net developers, I would go with 4x4.
September 23, 2006 8:30:58 PM

Quote:

Since when a 200MHz increase in clock speed translates into a 400MHz increase in P-rating? :roll:
That's lame..
September 23, 2006 8:36:27 PM

Quote:

Good points. Also, it will lower the price to remove PCI-X, SCSI 320, SODIMMs, and go with 2 PCIe x16 and SATA RAID and onboard Azalia.
I figure the mobos will be a max of $200 and a min of $125 depending upon options. This may even be a good time to intro HTX slots on the desktop. That would allow PhysX an order of magnitude more bandwidth over PCI - and a direct CPU connection.
I figure the motherboards will cost at least as much as 975X boards, so at launch I see them as being in the £150-200 range. They will be relatively low volume which usually leads to high prices.
SODIMMs for workstation boards! Not sure what you mean there?
September 23, 2006 8:56:33 PM

Easy! When the marketing department thinks that if you have a clock speed gain of 200MHz and you have two cores, their performance increases by 400MHz :roll:

If that were the case, a 965EE would be a 14.92GHz chip!
September 23, 2006 9:06:20 PM

I see :lol: 
but in fact they create a discontinuity with the current system adopted for X2s, where a 200MHz in P-rating comes alternating from a 200MHz real clock boost or from the extra cache.
These inflated P-ratings seem like a rather desperate move from AMD to confuse their customers into thinking that a 6000+ is significantly faster than a 5000+, while the truth is a lot different.
September 23, 2006 9:08:26 PM

Quote:

Since when a 200MHz increase in clock speed translates into a 400MHz increase in P-rating? :roll:
That's lame..

It used to be worst in the K7 days, online review sites complained about it and AMD changed the so call "formula".
September 23, 2006 10:24:13 PM

Quote:

That's lame..
Em. I'm not sure what you are talking about. The system is 200MHz increase in clock speed equals 400 points at the same cache level and doubling cache equals 200 points at the same clock speed. That is why going from a X2 3800+ to a X2 4200+ is 400 points for the 200MHz increase in clock speeds at 2x512k L2 while going from X2 4200+ to X2 4400+ indicates 2x1MB L2 at the same 2.2GHz clock speed.

The gap between X2 6000+ and the X2 5600+ is for a 3GHz 2x512k X2 5800+. The gap between the X2 5400+ and the X2 5000+ is for a 2.6GHz 1x1MB X2 5200+. It's completely consistant with there current naming scheme. The only complaint really is that they aren't properly differentiating 65nm versions from their 90nm predecessors. You'd think they'd want to market their 65nm processors as being superior, but I guess they are just relying on the 65W TDP to sell themselves.
!