Sign in with
Your question

Installing new SATAII Drive on first PC build! Help!

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2006 9:03:58 AM

Hello people,I am in the process of building my own PC and have just purchased a 160gb Western Digital SATAII drive. When building the system I know I have to press F6 on the installation of windows XP Pro to install the SATA drivers. Just wondered if someone could explain the different types of RAID to me and what it is for? When installing these drivers do I need to choose a type of RAID etc? My motherboard is one of the latest AM2 ASUS motherboards, my other Main system specs are AM2 Dual Core 4200 Processor, Nvidia Geforce 7600GT, 1024 DDR2 533MHZ Ram. Im in work at the moment so until I get home I can’t produce a detailed specification.
Any help would be appreciated Many Thanks.
September 22, 2006 2:47:19 PM

Raid types differ. Most common I think is Raid 0 - which takes two drives and basically sees them at one. Data is written half on one and half on the other. Obviously, if one fails, then all data is lost because they only contain half the bits each. The other types of raid are like duplicates of the drives you had and crap, you can read the wikipedia link to find out.
So since you have 1 hd, raid isn't possible of course. So nevermind any of that.
Related resources
!