Sign in with
Your question

need some advice for my E6600 overclocking..

Last response: in Overclocking
September 22, 2006 10:15:54 AM

hello.. i'm newbie here.. i wanna to ask something.

this is my spec :

Intel C2D Conroe E6600
Gigabyte GA965P-DQ6
Corsair XMS2 1GBx2 675Mhz CL4
XFX Geforce 7950GX2
Enermax Liberty 620Watts PSU
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Casing

this is my overclocking results :

vCore in bios = 1.425v
Memory multiplier = 2
vDimm = +0.3v
MCH Voltage = +0.2v
FSB Voltage = +0.2V

on this setting in bios, i have prime stable for 16hours.. idle 40C, load 55C.

here are my questions:

1. Are this setting is ok or need to decrease/increase somewhere..?

2. I have overclocked to 3.4Ghz and i can boot and log on windows. But when i run prime2004 test, after about 1 minutes, my system is reboot.
what can i do to make my system stable at 3.4Ghz..? do i need to increase/decrease somewhere in bios..?
September 22, 2006 11:17:43 AM

Well, the DQ6 can reach >400Mhz FSB speeds pretty easily, so I'd say your overclock can definately be improved. Did you know there's a C2D overclocking guide on this forum? It gives step-by-step instructions to get the most out of your OC. Check there. Also, make sure you're running the latest MB bios, should be F4 for you, though F5 betas are also available. What heatsink/fan combo are you using? How are your temps at 3.4? 40/55C, while well within the thermal envelope for this cpu, is still a tad high. Also, are you running a ton of HDDs/fans in this system?
September 22, 2006 12:32:34 PM

i have read he C2D overclocking guide before and i followed the guide to overclock my E6600 to 3.2Ghz..
but when i want to set it to 3.4Ghz, my system is not stable..

i'm using the F4 bios.
my temp at 3.4Ghz is idle (40C) and load (55C)..
i'm using thermaltake tsunami dream casing that have 120mm fan infront, 120mm back and 92mm side panel..
i'm using stock cooling..

please someone help me..
i love to be 3.4Ghz for my E6600..
Related resources
September 22, 2006 4:05:57 PM

Well, something is obviously causing you to become unstable, let's see here.

1. The memory you listed should be fine for overclocking, so I don't think that's where the instability is coming from. Play with the timings and your ratios though.

2. The F4 bios is pretty darn stable from everything I've heard, maybe someone else has heard of conflicts with it?

3. Your heatsink/Fan. Ok, if I were you, and wanted a big overclock, I'd ditch the stock intel crap and get a good air cooler. Thermaltake typhoon, tuniq tower, something along those lines. It'll set you back roughly $50 regardless, but it's a darn good investment and will prolong the lifespan of your OC'd cpu, as well as helping to keep your in-case temps under control.

Basically, put your vDimm up to +0.4V, and play with your mem/fsb ratios. If it means slowing down your memory to get a bigger cpu OC, oh well, guess which will give you the bigger boost? You could try inching your vCore up .025 or .050 as well, but that'll increase your thermal dissipation, so I'd get the new HSF first.
September 22, 2006 5:01:33 PM

For shiz and giggles try setting these to normal
MCH Voltage = +0.2v
FSB Voltage = +0.2V

And see if your still prime stable.

Less voltage = Less heat = More OC

Youll need a better HSF if you wanna get every drop out of it. I recommend the thermalright ultra 120. It outperformed the Ninja and the infinity. Youll need to pick up a 120mm fan tho.
September 23, 2006 5:46:19 PM

now, after i followed all the way that both of you gave, i can run prime stable for a long time.. but, when i run super pi 32mb in the same time, my pc was display "blue screen" an restart after that..

this is my setting in bios :

fsb = 378x9
ram multiplier = 2
ram timing = 4-4-4-12
ram voltage = +0.45
MCH voltage = normal
FSB voltage = normal
vCore = 1.475

what i need to do..? i have replace my stock cooler with thermaltake big thyphoon..

1. do i need to set the ram timing to 5-5-5-15..?
2. if i up the vCore to 1.5v and above, my pc can't boot..
September 23, 2006 8:56:35 PM

Ok, you replaced the HSF, good deal. How do your temps look now? You can try loosening the timings to 5-5-5-15, but first play with your ram multiplier. Try setting it to 1.5 and see if you can get your FSB up higher. Go back to + 0.1 or 0.2V on your MCH and FSB. Your RAM volts should be high enough, I wouldn't push them much higher, same with your vCore.
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2006 12:15:40 AM

find the source of the issue - lower the ram speed and slacken the timings and see if thats the source of the issues

and yeah otherwise the stock cooling wont do miracles

Quote:
Well, something is obviously causing you to become unstable, let's see here.

1. The memory you listed should be fine for overclocking, so I don't think that's where the instability is coming from. Play with the timings and your ratios though.

2. The F4 bios is pretty darn stable from everything I've heard, maybe someone else has heard of conflicts with it?

3. Your heatsink/Fan. Ok, if I were you, and wanted a big overclock, I'd ditch the stock intel crap and get a good air cooler. Thermaltake typhoon, tuniq tower, something along those lines. It'll set you back roughly $50 regardless, but it's a darn good investment and will prolong the lifespan of your OC'd cpu, as well as helping to keep your in-case temps under control.

Basically, put your vDimm up to +0.4V, and play with your mem/fsb ratios. If it means slowing down your memory to get a bigger cpu OC, oh well, guess which will give you the bigger boost? You could try inching your vCore up .025 or .050 as well, but that'll increase your thermal dissipation, so I'd get the new HSF first.
September 24, 2006 5:39:03 AM

i have followed all the ways above, but my pc cannot boot..

this is my setting :

fsb = 378x9
pci express freq = 100
memory multiplier = 2 (2 is the lowest in bios)
ram timing = 4-5-4-12
memory performance enhance = turbo
dimm overvoltage control = +0.4v
MCH overvoltage control = +2v (i also tried normal and +1.5v)
FSB overvoltage control = +2v (i also tried normal)
cpu voltage control = 1.475
September 24, 2006 8:54:48 AM

Quote:
memory performance enhance = turbo

I suppose there's isn't timing option in BIOS called 'tFRC' is there?
Set it to 'Optimal'.

i cannot find where is 'tFRC' in the bios..
memory performance enhance, normal@fast@turbo
September 24, 2006 9:17:45 AM

Well, kick that setting down to normal and try it out.
September 24, 2006 10:58:14 AM

ok.. now i can boot and log on windows..
after that i run the prime, and its stable..

then i run super pi 32mb in the same time, the error appear..

1st, "Not exact in round"..
after that i run super pi 32mb again, and "Not Convergent in SQR05"
what thats mean and what i need to do..?

this is my setting in bios..

fsb = 378x9
pci express freq = 100
ram timing = 4-4-4-12
memory performance enhance = normal
MCH overvoltage control = +1.5v
FSB overvoltage control = normal
cpu voltage control = 1.475v
September 24, 2006 12:47:55 PM

You are trying to do everything at once so its very hard to see what is holding you back.

Any speed enhancement things should be disabled as Wusy says.

I'd try loosening the RAM as far as I could - 5-5-5-20 or so, and reducing it to the minimum speed I could, which may be 1:1 anyway.

Then see how high you can get your CPU, and then slowly speed up your RAM again.

If you raise everything at once its very hard to see where your point of failure is.
September 25, 2006 6:21:51 PM

Quote:

fsb = 378x9
pci express freq = 100
ram timing = 4-4-4-12
memory performance enhance = normal
MCH overvoltage control = +1.5v
FSB overvoltage control = normal
cpu voltage control = 1.475v

umm i could be wrong, but if the DQ6 is anything like its little brother the DS3 then PCI-E Frequency should be "Auto"

wusy would know for sure, if its supposed to be auto then thats prolly whats holding you back.
October 9, 2006 9:47:32 AM

Sry my english bad.
Mine 400x9 1.475v with MCHv and FSBv auto, temps idle 32 celcius load 50 celcius. Prime95 only 5 hour due no patience to wait using my new rig. :) 
I use zalman cnps9500 with artic silver 5, kingston ddr2-675 cl.4 @800 cl.5, thermaltake tsunami.
Had try >400 but fail, is this my memory limit or what else?
October 9, 2006 3:33:18 PM

After reading the whole thread - I still think your memory is way out of spec... You are running with 675MHz CL4 memory at 756MHz CL4, and complaining you are getting errors... Change that memory to CL5!!!

Wusy told you about this in his guide already, see below...

When 1FSB:1RAM is overclocked above the rated frequency of your RAM use the following values
Timing: 5-5-5-15
vDIMM: 2.2V
October 9, 2006 4:30:39 PM

I think you will find its the volts on the E6600 holding you back, but i wouldnt like to take it to high though if your getting 55C load now
!