Sign in with
Your question

1 SATA2 drive still need F6 during windows installation?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • NAS / RAID
  • Hard Drives
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in Motherboards
September 22, 2006 10:17:48 AM

Hi all,

Just got my Gigabyte DQ6 yesterday and a western digital 250G hdd,

Question is, if I only use one hard drive and do not want to use any RAID in the future, do I still need to install those SATA RAID drivers (either Gigabyte SATA2 RAID or Intel ICH8R RAID) by pressing F6 during windows installation? Do I also need to use Intel ICH8R bootup disk by pressing F6?

Thanks so much for you help!

More about : sata2 drive windows installation

September 23, 2006 7:34:25 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Just got my Gigabyte DQ6 yesterday and a western digital 250G hdd,

Question is, if I only use one hard drive and do not want to use any RAID in the future, do I still need to install those SATA RAID drivers (either Gigabyte SATA2 RAID or Intel ICH8R RAID) by pressing F6 during windows installation? Do I also need to use Intel ICH8R bootup disk by pressing F6?

Thanks so much for you help!

According to the Intel site at the url below, you have to install the AHCI driver for a single SATA drive on which you are installing the OS via the F6 method if you want to run the drive in AHCI mode (which you should). You don't have to install the RAID driver - instead choose the AHCI driver from the list that appears when you F6 and insert the floppy.

In your case because your board has a ICH8R bridge, you'd select the 'Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller' from the list.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager Info

Others on this forum have recommended using the Intel drivers from off their site rather than the CD ones, as these are newer.
Related resources
!