939 pcie motherboard - cheap

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I have a spare 939 3200+ any suggestions for a cheap motherboard and gpu that can play new games on atleast med at 1024 x768.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
what you do is go to this magic site called 'newegg'(im assuming you're from america) and click on search it...like this:

Link

since you didnt give anymore details on what you need from the motherboard(a gazillion usb ports, firewire, sata-e etc) i've just given you the list of all 939 boards on newegg.

i agree with mpilchfamily^^ for saying 7600(should have added GS or GT) but dont agree with the x1600. If you can afford it then go for a 7600GT around $130, if not then a 7600GS arounds $90 i think.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
get a dfi infinity or someting like that those are best for amd

DFI Lanparty actually. It wont come as cheap as the lowest end but given the overclocking capabilities I would say its worth it.
The 7600GT is an amazing value right now.

Biostar TForce 6100/939. Has onboard video and will play games like medal of honor and lesser games. Has one pci-e slot. Will overclock quite easily if you do that sort of thing. Had one for a year and a half or 2 and a half, can't remember, but it's still going strong. About 70 bucks right now.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
IF you need good USB peformance then do not use motherboards with the ATI Xpress 200 chipset. Other than USB performance this chipset is fine. On reviews the ULi chipset for the Athlon 64 CPUs came out well when reviewed.

Rob Murphy

baladorr

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I have a spare a64 3200+ which i would like to use. Is the geforce 6150 any good? how does it compare to a x600 mobility?

It all depends on which games do you want to play. I usually tell people to save their money and go for a 7 series Nvidia card if you really want good price/performance. I personally use a 7800 GT and, with certain games, I find that even that performance isn't what I would prefer.

neocristi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
ASUS A8N-E is a very good cheap 939 mobo.

I would buy one any time. The performance is similar to A8N-SLI but without the sli feature.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
The Asrock one you linked to uses the ULi chipset and should be OK for basic use. It has an AGP slot so if you have an AGP card available it would make sense.

Check out some of the other motherboards with the ULi chipset, if you do not want a top end board with dual graphics then thay make sense.

There are some cheap motherboards with the ATI xpress 200 chipset, but the USB performance is poor. If slower data transfer over USB 2 is not a problem then this is a good chipset if you can find it on a cheap board. Some of the boards using this come with integrated ATI graphics, but I do not think they would be much good for gaming.

just my 2p worth.

Rob Murphy

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
The Asrock one you linked to uses the ULi chipset and should be OK for basic use. It has an AGP slot so if you have an AGP card available it would make sense.

Check out some of the other motherboards with the ULi chipset, if you do not want a top end board with dual graphics then thay make sense.

There are some cheap motherboards with the ATI xpress 200 chipset, but the USB performance is poor. If slower data transfer over USB 2 is not a problem then this is a good chipset if you can find it on a cheap board. Some of the boards using this come with integrated ATI graphics, but I do not think they would be much good for gaming.

just my 2p worth.

Rob Murphy
what do you mean? thin link goes to a ASUS A8N-VM nVidia 6100 MicroATX 939 DDR400 Dual Channel SATA II PCI-E is it good?

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
DO NOT pair Asus with AMD. Nor with ANY Nvidia chipset, Every AMD product they make can be outperform by anotherboard. s939

Get a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D. It features much better and stable overclocking.
That board is a bit expencive. i don't plan on overclocking. I ave never had any problem with asus or nvidia. whats a good sub $60-$80 board. It desn't need to have sli or any fancy overclocking features, but I want pcie.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
DO NOT pair Asus with AMD. Nor with ANY Nvidia chipset, Every AMD product they make can be outperform by anotherboard. s939

Get a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D. It features much better and stable overclocking.

I've had great luck with AMD and Asus boards. With that said, the latest machine I built is using the epox board. I think it's a bit harsh to say DO NOT pair something with something else, unless the combination will just flat out explode or cause birth defects, and lets face it, there is more to it than just performance, especially when you may only be talking about a few percentage points difference in performance.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Im not talking about a few percentages in performance. At stock speeds everything will perfom the same because its meant tobe the same. But potential, thats what really matters. There are much better boards with much more potential in the AM2 arena for me to recommend something like the M2N-E wich was a complete dissater at OCing. The better (and more stable) something overclocks, the more solid performance itll provide at stock speeds.

The only board that midly OCs stable is the Asus Crosshair, but given its many bells and whistles its highly overpriced for the performance it offers and many of the "ROG features" are useless IMO.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
EPoX 9NPA series, more solid than any mid/high-end S939 board ASUS made in history.
$75

That board paired with a 7600GT will play anything you want at 12x7.
The powercolor X800GTO would be cheaper but the 7600GT performs ~50% better so its worth the bucks.

Thanks but the epox boards don't seem to be avalible in nz, here are the boards i could get, http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_6.html#g174
which $100-$150 would you recomend?

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
so the board with the intergrated geforce 6100 is quite a bit slower than the nforce 4 ultra or nforce 4x is it? I have a a8ne on my current system and it a great board.