metalweenis

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I just bought a new 400w Fortron Sparkle PSU and a X1600Pro 256mb, and seem to be having problems with it.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17076&vpn=ATX-400-PN-B&manufacture=Fortron%20Source

When I installed the PSU I first took my old one out, then put the one in replacement of the old. I'm pretty sure its hooked up correctly, I hooked the 24pin connector to the MB, and the other 4 pin on the otherside of the MB, not sure what its called, but I know its hooked in right. I connected my HD, DVD drive and a case fan with the molex connectors from the PSU. At first I tried to boot up WITHOUT the X1600Pro in just so see if it worked. I hit the power button on the computer about 10 times and there was no go, so I switched the PSU off, then back on. I hit the power button and it worked fine. I then put my X1600Pro in for the first time. It also worked great and I went on to install the ATI drivers and play BF2 and UT2K4 at actually suprisingly good framerates compared to what review sites say. So I shut my computer off and go to bed. So I woke up this morning and press the button on the PC expecting it to turn on. NOPE, nothing. So I switched the PSU off and back on hoping for it to work again, it didn't. So I hooked my old 300w psu back in without the videocard installed (because that would probably blow it up) and it worked like a charm, the thing is, WHY?!?
I reconnected my brand new 400w and tried to boot up, nothing. So I switched the PSU off and on, off and on, off and on, off and on. Then finally I figured out that if I switch the PSU on and press the button at an exact moment that it boots up fine, but WTF? Thats how i'm posting right now, i'm running with the 400w and playing games and EVERYTHING IS FINE, until I try to turn on my computer again, it always does it and I have to use the PSU switch/botton technique. Can anyone figure out why in hell it does this? I have ideas, but nothing to comfirm them. Is it the way its setup? Not connected properly? Motherboard jumper settings? PSU just defective, although it works? LOL I just DONT KNOW!!!

Please help if you have any ideas!!

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey Metal,
I read your post, and from what I can read ....it's a hinky PSU. Then I went to the link you provided and my suspicions were right. Dude, NEVER skimp on a PSU for cost...or any componant for that matter. I mean you don't have to buy the best, but you can get a middle road PSU instead.
But one VALUABLE piece of info is your specs bro :(
all you say is your gpu. NEED more info, but I am sure I can tell you that PSU you have does NOT have 18 amp DUAL 12v rails.

Tell you what.... use that PSU for a paper weight, go out an get an ENERMAX, or a SeaSonic, or ANTEC, to name a few. There others that are very reputable and will give ya the juice you need. I just can't think of any more at the moment but I am sure some of the other guys will suggest.
Hope this helps bro

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 G HDD / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w

metalweenis

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
That PSU powers much more powerful systems than mine does and got good reviews everywhere, I dont get it. My system is THAT powerful lol. I will check the rails and such, but they are supposed to good. BRB!

TRENDING THREADS