GAIT SIM in GSM phone - confusion

Last response: in Network Providers
November 15, 2004 10:01:39 PM

Ok,
I have read quite a bit on this forum and other places and am thoroughly
confused.

I have a Nokia 6340i and that I use with a Cingular GAIT plan.

I am happy with Cingular in general and my calling plan in particular. I do
not want to give up my GAIT calling as I travel a great deal and to many
rural areas.

That said - I hate the 6340i. Have had problems with it since day one.

So, which GSM phone can I use my SIM in when in a GSM area. I will keep the
6340i for when I travel and am in areas that the GSM phone will not work. I
do not care about being able to take pictures. I would like a flip phone.
For which ever phone you name - does it have to be unlocked?

Thanks so much,
Carp
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 4:13:54 AM

If you do not want a camera and just a simple flip phone, either the Samsung
SGH-X427 or maybe the Motorola V180. Go to www.phonescoop.com and then try
to find one on ebay. The phone must be unlocked to accept the SIM.

"Carp" <noonenowhere@spam.net> wrote in message
> Ok,
> I have read quite a bit on this forum and other places and am thoroughly
> confused.
>
> I have a Nokia 6340i and that I use with a Cingular GAIT plan.
>
> I am happy with Cingular in general and my calling plan in particular. I
> do not want to give up my GAIT calling as I travel a great deal and to
> many rural areas.
>
> That said - I hate the 6340i. Have had problems with it since day one.
>
> So, which GSM phone can I use my SIM in when in a GSM area. I will keep
> the 6340i for when I travel and am in areas that the GSM phone will not
> work. I do not care about being able to take pictures. I would like a
> flip phone. For which ever phone you name - does it have to be unlocked?
>
> Thanks so much,
> Carp

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 5:34:11 AM

In <Lqbmd.15628$jE2.8093@bignews4.bellsouth.net> on Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:01:39
-0500, "Carp" <noonenowhere@spam.net> wrote:

>I have read quite a bit on this forum and other places and am thoroughly
>confused.
>
>I have a Nokia 6340i and that I use with a Cingular GAIT plan.
>
>I am happy with Cingular in general and my calling plan in particular. I do
>not want to give up my GAIT calling as I travel a great deal and to many
>rural areas.
>
>That said - I hate the 6340i. Have had problems with it since day one.
>
>So, which GSM phone can I use my SIM in when in a GSM area. I will keep the
>6340i for when I travel and am in areas that the GSM phone will not work. I
>do not care about being able to take pictures. I would like a flip phone.
>For which ever phone you name - does it have to be unlocked?

You should be able to use your GAIT SIM in any GSM phone that (a) has the
proper band(s) and (b) isn't locked to some other carrier.

The potential problem is with OTA (over the air) upgrades by Cingular to the
GAIT SIM, which may not work properly when in a GSM phone, leading to
degradation of service. To work-around that, you could periodically put the
GAIT SIM in your GAIT handset and ask Customer Care to "push" GAIT updates to
you.

November 16, 2004 7:04:54 AM

I was in the Cingular store today also looking at a phone Motorola V551.
The salesman told me the GAIT sim wouldn't work in that phone because it
uses a 64K sim and the GAIT is a 32K sim. If I get the phone from them,
they would make me get a new sim which wouldn't work in my GAIT phone
(6340i). If I get an unlocked V551 (not from Cingular) should my GAIT sim
work?

Thanks for any insight.

Don Barlow

news:D Gdmd.5500$_3.73294@typhoon.sonic.net...

> In <Lqbmd.15628$jE2.8093@bignews4.bellsouth.net> on Mon, 15 Nov 2004
19:01:39
> -0500, "Carp" <noonenowhere@spam.net> wrote:
>
> >I have read quite a bit on this forum and other places and am thoroughly
> >confused.
> >
> >I have a Nokia 6340i and that I use with a Cingular GAIT plan.
> >
> >I am happy with Cingular in general and my calling plan in particular. I
do
> >not want to give up my GAIT calling as I travel a great deal and to many
> >rural areas.
> >
> >That said - I hate the 6340i. Have had problems with it since day one.
> >
> >So, which GSM phone can I use my SIM in when in a GSM area. I will keep
the
> >6340i for when I travel and am in areas that the GSM phone will not work.
> >do not care about being able to take pictures. I would like a flip
phone.
> >For which ever phone you name - does it have to be unlocked?
>
> You should be able to use your GAIT SIM in any GSM phone that (a) has the
> proper band(s) and (b) isn't locked to some other carrier.
>
> The potential problem is with OTA (over the air) upgrades by Cingular to
the
> GAIT SIM, which may not work properly when in a GSM phone, leading to
> degradation of service. To work-around that, you could periodically put
the
> GAIT SIM in your GAIT handset and ask Customer Care to "push" GAIT updates
> you.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 8:33:19 AM

As a general rule, be skeptical of anything you hear in a cellular store.
In fact the V551 works just fine with a 32K SIM -- that's what I have.

In <G%emd.31911$Zr3.14189@fe1.texas.rr.com> on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 04:04:54 GMT,
"Don Barlow" <don_barlow@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was in the Cingular store today also looking at a phone Motorola V551.
>The salesman told me the GAIT sim wouldn't work in that phone because it
>uses a 64K sim and the GAIT is a 32K sim. If I get the phone from them,
>they would make me get a new sim which wouldn't work in my GAIT phone
>(6340i). If I get an unlocked V551 (not from Cingular) should my GAIT sim
>work?
>
>Thanks for any insight.
>
>Don Barlow

>news:D Gdmd.5500$_3.73294@typhoon.sonic.net...
>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> In <Lqbmd.15628$jE2.8093@bignews4.bellsouth.net> on Mon, 15 Nov 2004
>19:01:39
>> -0500, "Carp" <noonenowhere@spam.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I have read quite a bit on this forum and other places and am thoroughly
>> >confused.
>> >
>> >I have a Nokia 6340i and that I use with a Cingular GAIT plan.
>> >
>> >I am happy with Cingular in general and my calling plan in particular. I
>do
>> >not want to give up my GAIT calling as I travel a great deal and to many
>> >rural areas.
>> >
>> >That said - I hate the 6340i. Have had problems with it since day one.
>> >
>> >So, which GSM phone can I use my SIM in when in a GSM area. I will keep
>the
>> >6340i for when I travel and am in areas that the GSM phone will not work.
>> >do not care about being able to take pictures. I would like a flip
>phone.
>> >For which ever phone you name - does it have to be unlocked?
>>
>> You should be able to use your GAIT SIM in any GSM phone that (a) has the
>> proper band(s) and (b) isn't locked to some other carrier.
>>
>> The potential problem is with OTA (over the air) upgrades by Cingular to
>the
>> GAIT SIM, which may not work properly when in a GSM phone, leading to
>> degradation of service. To work-around that, you could periodically put
>the
>> GAIT SIM in your GAIT handset and ask Customer Care to "push" GAIT updates
>> you.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

November 16, 2004 5:58:57 PM

Thank you. Is there any real advantage to buying from Cingular as opposed
to just an unlocked phone from somewhere else.

Thanks.

Don Barlow

> As a general rule, be skeptical of anything you hear in a cellular store.
> In fact the V551 works just fine with a 32K SIM -- that's what I have.
>
> In <G%emd.31911$Zr3.14189@fe1.texas.rr.com> on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 04:04:54
GMT,
> "Don Barlow" <don_barlow@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I was in the Cingular store today also looking at a phone Motorola V551.
> >The salesman told me the GAIT sim wouldn't work in that phone because it
> >uses a 64K sim and the GAIT is a 32K sim. If I get the phone from them,
> >they would make me get a new sim which wouldn't work in my GAIT phone
> >(6340i). If I get an unlocked V551 (not from Cingular) should my GAIT
sim
> >work?
> >
> >Thanks for any insight.
> >
> >Don Barlow
> >
> >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> >news:D Gdmd.5500$_3.73294@typhoon.sonic.net...
> >> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >>
> >> In <Lqbmd.15628$jE2.8093@bignews4.bellsouth.net> on Mon, 15 Nov 2004
> >19:01:39

> >do

> >the
> >phone.
> >>
> >> You should be able to use your GAIT SIM in any GSM phone that (a) has
the
> >> proper band(s) and (b) isn't locked to some other carrier.
> >>
> >> The potential problem is with OTA (over the air) upgrades by Cingular
> >the
> >> GAIT SIM, which may not work properly when in a GSM phone, leading to
> >> degradation of service. To work-around that, you could periodically
put
> >the
> >> GAIT SIM in your GAIT handset and ask Customer Care to "push" GAIT
updates
> >> you.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> >> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 6:15:26 PM

In the case of the V551, Cingular has an exclusive, so the ones you buy
somewhere else will probably have Cingular customization; i.e., same phone
either way.

In <RAomd.35112$SS3.11855@fe2.texas.rr.com> on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:58:57 GMT,
"Don Barlow" <don_barlow@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you. Is there any real advantage to buying from Cingular as opposed
>to just an unlocked phone from somewhere else.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Don Barlow

>> As a general rule, be skeptical of anything you hear in a cellular store.
>> In fact the V551 works just fine with a 32K SIM -- that's what I have.
>>
>> In <G%emd.31911$Zr3.14189@fe1.texas.rr.com> on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 04:04:54
>GMT,
>> "Don Barlow" <don_barlow@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I was in the Cingular store today also looking at a phone Motorola V551.
>> >The salesman told me the GAIT sim wouldn't work in that phone because it
>> >uses a 64K sim and the GAIT is a 32K sim. If I get the phone from them,
>> >they would make me get a new sim which wouldn't work in my GAIT phone
>> >(6340i). If I get an unlocked V551 (not from Cingular) should my GAIT
>sim
>> >work?
>> >
>> >Thanks for any insight.
>> >
>> >Don Barlow
>> >
>> >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>> >news:D Gdmd.5500$_3.73294@typhoon.sonic.net...

>> >19:01:39

>thoroughly

>> >do
>many

>one.

>keep
>> >the
>work.
>> >phone.

>the

>> >the
>put
>> >the
>updates

>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

November 16, 2004 6:23:08 PM

Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

Don Barlow

> In the case of the V551, Cingular has an exclusive, so the ones you buy
> somewhere else will probably have Cingular customization; i.e., same phone
> either way.
>
> In <RAomd.35112$SS3.11855@fe2.texas.rr.com> on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:58:57
GMT,
> "Don Barlow" <don_barlow@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Thank you. Is there any real advantage to buying from Cingular as
opposed
> >to just an unlocked phone from somewhere else.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Don Barlow
> >
> >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> >> As a general rule, be skeptical of anything you hear in a cellular
store.
> >> In fact the V551 works just fine with a 32K SIM -- that's what I have.
> >>
> >> In <G%emd.31911$Zr3.14189@fe1.texas.rr.com> on Tue, 16 Nov 2004
04:04:54
> >GMT,

V551.
> >sim

> >thoroughly

> >many

> >one.

> >keep
> >work.

has
> >the

Cingular
> >put
> >updates

> >> --
> >> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> >> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 9:24:17 PM

> As a general rule, be skeptical of anything you hear in a cellular store.
> In fact the V551 works just fine with a 32K SIM -- that's what I have.

Yeah you should believe everything you read on usenet.

No , really....I'm not kidding.

--SS
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 9:26:48 PM

"Don Barlow" <don_barlow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you. I really appreciate your help.
>
> Don Barlow

Ask him how his 32k sim functions with ENS.

If John is honest you'll see why you need the 64k sim.

--

SS
Anonymous

What's ENS???

"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message

> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>> As a general rule, be skeptical of anything you hear in a cellular store.
>> In fact the V551 works just fine with a 32K SIM -- that's what I have.
>>

> Yeah you should believe everything you read on usenet.
>
> No , really....I'm not kidding.
>
> --SS

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 7:55:53 PM

In <3028jgF2qkjajU1@uni-berlin.de> on Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:26:48 -0600,
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>"Don Barlow" <don_barlow@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

>Ask him how his 32k sim functions with ENS.
>
>If John is honest you'll see why you need the 64k sim.

If a new 64K ENS* SIM were really needed, then Cingular would have to upgrade
the bulk of its existing customers, and that won't happen anytime soon. It
would make more sense to expedite the full integration of the two networks.

* Enhanced Network Services, which extends GSM by making it possible for the
handset to effectively treat two different networks (ATTWS and Cingular) as
one combined Home network, so that the other network can be selected even when
the real Home network has a usable signal. (Without ENS, the handset will
only select the other network when the real Home network doesn't have a usable
signal, even when the other network has a better signal or when the real Home
network has run out of capacity.)

November 18, 2004 7:56:42 PM

In <9QUmd.1833$Tq6.470@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net> on Thu, 18 Nov 2004
03:39:49 GMT, "Phil Lewis" <pclewis@sprynet.com> wrote:

>What's ENS???

Enhanced Network Services, which extends GSM by making it possible for the
handset to effectively treat two different networks (ATTWS and Cingular) as
one combined Home network, so that the other network can be selected even when
the real Home network has a usable signal. (Without ENS, the handset will
only select the other network when the real Home network doesn't have a usable
signal, even when the other network has a better signal or when the real Home
network has run out of capacity.)

November 19, 2004 12:40:58 AM

I had a 64kb chip put into my Nokia because it would not roam on AT&T
and it finally roams. However you can not pick which network you want
and only when there is no Cingular signal for a few seconds will the
phone switch over to a full strength AT&T signal. My other 3595 with
a 32kb chip actually has the menu to pick the network selection and I
can manually pick AT&T where I know the Cingular signal is weak. What
is keeping the Network selection menu out of my first 3595?

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<ev4nd.5831$_3.79459@typhoon.sonic.net>...

> In <9QUmd.1833$Tq6.470@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net> on Thu, 18 Nov 2004
> 03:39:49 GMT, "Phil Lewis" <pclewis@sprynet.com> wrote:
>
> >What's ENS???
>
> Enhanced Network Services, which extends GSM by making it possible for the
> handset to effectively treat two different networks (ATTWS and Cingular) as
> one combined Home network, so that the other network can be selected even when
> the real Home network has a usable signal. (Without ENS, the handset will
> only select the other network when the real Home network doesn't have a usable
> signal, even when the other network has a better signal or when the real Home
> network has run out of capacity.)
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 8:55:33 AM

In <16fbbf1.0411182140.35637732@posting.google.com> on 18 Nov 2004 21:40:58
-0800, ddodero@pacbell.net (DeronD) wrote:

>I had a 64kb chip put into my Nokia because it would not roam on AT&T
>and it finally roams. However you can not pick which network you want
>and only when there is no Cingular signal for a few seconds will the
>phone switch over to a full strength AT&T signal. My other 3595 with
>a 32kb chip actually has the menu to pick the network selection and I
>can manually pick AT&T where I know the Cingular signal is weak. What
>is keeping the Network selection menu out of my first 3595?

Programming of the SIM.

November 19, 2004 9:21:49 PM

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<pVfnd.6137$_3.80373@typhoon.sonic.net>...

> In <16fbbf1.0411182140.35637732@posting.google.com> on 18 Nov 2004 21:40:58
> -0800, ddodero@pacbell.net (DeronD) wrote:
>
> >I had a 64kb chip put into my Nokia because it would not roam on AT&T
> >and it finally roams. However you can not pick which network you want
> >and only when there is no Cingular signal for a few seconds will the
> >phone switch over to a full strength AT&T signal. My other 3595 with
> >a 32kb chip actually has the menu to pick the network selection and I
> >can manually pick AT&T where I know the Cingular signal is weak. What
> >is keeping the Network selection menu out of my first 3595?
>
> Programming of the SIM.

I take it there is no way to get it reprogram it???
!