I have Windows XP and when I turn my computer it takes a while for all the
programs to load, most of these programs I would prefer not to load.

When I look at the Task Manager there are about 30 or 40 programs loaded.

I need to know where to go to find out what these programs do and how to
delete or prevent them from being loaded.

I am familiar with the Start up Folder on Start Button.
3 answers Last reply
More about loading software start

    Go to http://www.processlibrary.com/
    You can find most of the process running there.
    30 or 40 processes running is normally ok for WinXP, and most of them are
    system programs like printer drivers, DLL managers and so on...

    "Problem with formatting merged fields" wrote:

    > I have Windows XP and when I turn my computer it takes a while for all the
    > programs to load, most of these programs I would prefer not to load.
    >
    > When I look at the Task Manager there are about 30 or 40 programs loaded.
    >
    > I need to know where to go to find out what these programs do and how to
    > delete or prevent them from being loaded.
    >
    > I am familiar with the Start up Folder on Start Button.

    See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Startup Programs Tracker. This utility lists the most commonly used startup vectors in an easily readable format. The included Help tells you how to remove unwanted items, depending on where they are found.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Problem with formatting merged fields" <Problemwithformattingmergedfields@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27178241-7713-45D8-9651-ABABF073DF63@microsoft.com...
    >I have Windows XP and when I turn my computer it takes a while for all the
    > programs to load, most of these programs I would prefer not to load.
    >
    > When I look at the Task Manager there are about 30 or 40 programs loaded.
    >
    > I need to know where to go to find out what these programs do and how to
    > delete or prevent them from being loaded.
    >
    > I am familiar with the Start up Folder on Start Button.

    You need to be sure of exactly what it is you want to do. Do you want to
    limit the startup of services, programs, or processes? You did state
    "programs" so this is done by going>start\run and type in msconfig and click
    ok. Now click the startup tab and uncheck any programs that you do not want
    starting at boot. For services configuration take a look at www.blkviper.com.
    As far as processes goes I don't think you should be playing around in there
    until you know more about your system. You should make sure that any
    installed programs do not have their "auto" start features enabled.
    Unfortunately many program designers want their programs starting when
    windows starts and so set this as a default setting. You have to go into the
    configuration interface and uncheck any 'autoplay' or 'autostart' or 'start
    when windows starts' as well as any and all auto updates. Post back if you
    need more.

    "Problem with formatting merged fields" wrote:

    > I have Windows XP and when I turn my computer it takes a while for all the
    > programs to load, most of these programs I would prefer not to load.
    >
    > When I look at the Task Manager there are about 30 or 40 programs loaded.
    >
    > I need to know where to go to find out what these programs do and how to
    > delete or prevent them from being loaded.
    >
    > I am familiar with the Start up Folder on Start Button.

Software Windows XP