Simultaneous Static & DHCP IP allocation for Linksys WRT

EEL

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
I just got this new router for my DSL and was wondering how to establish BOTH a DHCP client as well as STATIC IP. I would like to configure one computer to the allocated DMZ host using a Static IP configuration. I would not like the DMZ IP to float between whichever computer is currently on in my home network. That being said, I would also like all the other computers in my house to have IP addresses assigned by the DHCP server.

So in the end, my question is whether there is a way to reserve a range for static or possibly exclude a range from Dynamic IP adressing.

Is this even possible?

Thanks for your help in advance.

icemann77

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
when you like one of your pc to have a static ip and also for it to be on dmz that is ok. and all your pc's are on the dynamic ip range from the router,the router will just jump over the said ip range of the pc with the static ip. :wink:

EEL

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
I realize that will work but wont the DHCP release the IP if the computer is not active for more than 24 hours? Which means that if I dont turn it on once a day it the DMZ ip will be reallocated to another computer

EEL

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
I have a lot of flow thru traffic on this wireless network and I cant afford to sit there and assign everyone who comes in an ip address...

If someone can tell me if its possible or not i would greatly appreciate it.

sturm

Splendid
set the computer you want to be static to not use automatic settings under the connection properties - tcp/ip setting . select 'use the following ip address'. Put in the ip address you want here along with the subnet and the dns entries, which you can get from the router.
This computer will always use this address. It will not use one from the dhcp from the router.
Set this ip address as your dmz address.
All other computers will use dhcp. Be sure they are set to "Obtain an ip address automatically"

TRENDING THREADS