Last response: in CPUs
September 22, 2006 6:55:59 PM

I currently have:

- Biostar MB
- AMD XP2400
- 1GB of RAM
- 600+GB of HD
- crappy video card

This is one of 4 PCs I have in my house. This is used as my main PC but also as a file server since it is left on 24 hours a day. All PCs are connected using wireless connectivity.

Currently this PC is real slow for interactive use due to amount of network and file traffic it serves to other PCs as well as my own.

Given this, what would be the best upgrade for me?

I've been looking at Intel 805D option vs AMD XP64 3200+. I am shocked by the power consumption of 805D which exceeds 200w! XP64 is also no slouch at 130w or so but that's still 80w less. This translates to $40/year of electricity cost if left on 24/7 - $120 for about 3 years.

So given today's CPU, which is the most power efficient while still can be considered a nice upgrade to my existing XP2400+? It would be nice if my existing RAM can be re-used as well.

Thanks!

More about : upgrade options

September 22, 2006 7:45:45 PM

I think a better way to approach these sorts of problems on this forum, is to always set out your budget first, let us know what you have in as much detail as possible, and then look for recommendations based on what you want the PC to do.

Based on what information you've given us, I'd say turn that box into a dedicated file server, and work on pricing a new PC.
a c 159 à CPUs
September 22, 2006 10:04:52 PM

If you're concerned about power consumption, you could go with a socket 754 turion or am2 35w (which is difficult to find). Duo core 2 is also very energy efficient compared to other Intel cpus. Fry's has the e6300 with ecs board for $179 this weekend. The board uses ddr or ddr2, and agp cards, which would allow you to reuse some of your old components.
Related resources
September 22, 2006 10:30:51 PM

Sounds like you answered your own question. If you don't like the power consumption of the 805 and you think an Athlon64 3200 will do the job, then go for the A64. Choose 939 format to re use your Ram.
September 23, 2006 1:08:39 AM

Quote:
I think a better way to approach these sorts of problems on this forum, is to always set out your budget first, let us know what you have in as much detail as possible, and then look for recommendations based on what you want the PC to do.

Based on what information you've given us, I'd say turn that box into a dedicated file server, and work on pricing a new PC.

This time around, I don't really want to spend too much - less the better. I live in Toronto, so quoting my budget in Canadian $ probably won't help much... :D  For whatever it's worth, I'm trying to stay below $400CA.

Given this, I don't think it's feasible to build a new PC out of this, unfortunately.
September 23, 2006 1:12:04 AM

Quote:
If you're concerned about power consumption, you could go with a socket 754 turion or am2 35w (which is difficult to find). Duo core 2 is also very energy efficient compared to other Intel cpus. Fry's has the e6300 with ecs board for $179 this weekend. The board uses ddr or ddr2, and agp cards, which would allow you to reuse some of your old components.

The only reason I looked at power consumption is to determine overall ownership cost vs CPU power, given my situation (i.e. 24/7). Those options you mentioned are interesting - I've not researched into them. I'll look into those right away... :D 
September 23, 2006 1:17:23 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you answered your own question. If you don't like the power consumption of the 805 and you think an Athlon64 3200 will do the job, then go for the A64. Choose 939 format to re use your Ram.

I admit I haven't done much research yet. What you say is true - I am tilting towards 3200 based on my reserch so far. And unless if I see better suggestions, that is probably what I am going to end up with. Thanks for noting 939 - I didn't know that.

The question I still have, is - is there any CPU that is close to the performance of D805/3200, may even cost a bit more, but uses significantly less power? I will look into Turion/AM2 suggestion as mentioned in previous post but I am wondering if there are more candidates...
September 23, 2006 12:46:26 PM

Quote:
I currently have:

- Biostar MB
- AMD XP2400
- 1GB of RAM
- 600+GB of HD
- crappy video card

This is one of 4 PCs I have in my house. This is used as my main PC but also as a file server since it is left on 24 hours a day. All PCs are connected using wireless connectivity.
Currently this PC is real slow for interactive use due to amount of network and file traffic it serves to other PCs as well as my own.
Given this, what would be the best upgrade for me?
I've been looking at Intel 805D option vs AMD XP64 3200+. I am shocked by the power consumption of 805D which exceeds 200w! XP64 is also no slouch at 130w or so but that's still 80w less. This translates to $40/year of electricity cost if left on 24/7 - $120 for about 3 years.
So given today's CPU, which is the most power efficient while still can be considered a nice upgrade to my existing XP2400+? It would be nice if my existing RAM can be re-used as well.
Thanks!

A 939 motherboard and Athlon64 x2 3800+ would be the best option @ about $250, especially if the 1G RAM is 2x512 MB for dual channel operation.
September 23, 2006 1:58:24 PM

Also if you are talking about there being a lag problem due to the constant transfer of files then it doesn't matter too much what components you're running. I would tell ya to use one of your other machines as a file server and leave your main computer as the one you work off of. Thats what I would do personally. Either way your router will be bogged way down. If possible you should spend a lil time and rig up a wired solution. Not only is it way more secure it can get 1000 mbs if all pcs have gig card with gig router! That will help with your bogging problem. Also if you want cheap right now go with AMD cause they are losing performance battle with intel right now and so consequently their cpu prices are falling faster than the hindenburg. Plus as the other dude on here was saying you can still use your ram. Though I would get a lil more. If you don't game then get a intermediate graphics card. Good luck man

Yeah are those 600 gigs a single array or set up as a secondary hd array?

if you still want to continue to use that why not get a primary drive like a raptor and have that large array as a secondary disk so that it isn't so taxing when you want to do things with the machine. Cause once again the array can only do so much at one time and if you are constantly swapping files off of it and then trying to write to it at all it will be a snail even with a Power system. Good luck
September 23, 2006 7:51:17 PM

AMD makes some EE (Energy Efficient) CPUs that consume only 35 watt. However, I haven't noticed any for sale yet, and also I don't believe they are making them for 939, only socket AM2, as far as I know.
September 23, 2006 7:58:08 PM

It's cheaper just to take a standard A64 X2 and undervolt/underclock it
September 24, 2006 1:04:27 PM

yuck man! underclockin is a bad thing heheheheh
September 24, 2006 1:32:51 PM

Quote:

I admit I haven't done much research yet. What you say is true - I am tilting towards 3200 based on my reserch so far. And unless if I see better suggestions, that is probably what I am going to end up with. Thanks for noting 939 - I didn't know that.

The question I still have, is - is there any CPU that is close to the performance of D805/3200, may even cost a bit more, but uses significantly less power? I will look into Turion/AM2 suggestion as mentioned in previous post but I am wondering if there are more candidates...

Can I suggest a Retail E6300 Core 2 Duo @ 264$
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

And This Asus P5PE_VM Board This will Suport AGP 8X and Dual Channel PC3200 @ 82.99$

I Live In Toronto too about 5 Minutes from Etobicoke Location and This is my Upgrade path For a total of 350$CDN because of all the things I already have On Al these assocerys on my current computer and don't want to loose my Geforce 6200 AGP 4x/8X and my 256Mb Rams

And i Might also splurge on 2- 250Gb Seagate drives later on this season to Make my computer memory 500Gb@RAID 0
September 24, 2006 2:27:43 PM

Quote:
it is left on 24 hours a day...currently this PC is real slow

LoL - you don't think the two are related?
For goodness sake, restart it maybe ~once/week (and run 'Diskcheck - automatically fix file system errors' first).
Fresh WinXP on tuned-up rig will recover much speed.
XP2400+ runs 133MHz FSB (266DDR). Too bad you cannot get it to run 166FSB (Barton speed) but with a locked 15x multiplier, that is unlikely.
Your Thoroughbred 'B' CPU is top-'o-the-line 133MHz CPU and still fairly modern. To upgrade as a gaming rig would be challenging, but you have 1GB of memory so should already have a dandy fileserver there...?
Here is a link to an upgrade mobo/CPU for you anyway:
(PCCanada is on Lakeshore Boulevard West, in Etobicoke.)
ECS 761GX-M754 (Includes XP2800+ CPU) Socket 754 - $115. CDN!
http://www.pccanada.com/viewitem.asp?id=4626
I have used many of these, and they are solid.
You can use your DDR memory, it has onboard graphics, and an empty PCI Express x16 slot too :^)
But if you steal the RAM from your old rig it dies... why not either keep it going (speed it up) or sell it?
PCCanada is a good web link to Canadian prices, even if you do not live real close...
Regards
September 24, 2006 3:52:29 PM

IMO, you should go with either:

ASRock 939Dual-VSTA
+
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)

OR

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
+
Core 2 Duo E6300

BOTH of these options will allow you to reuse your current RAM and AGP video card.

EDIT: The D805 only consumes 200+W of power when you've done some insane overclocking. At stock speed, it shouldn't use more than 90 watts or so. No K8 CPU uses more than 130W (the top-of-the-line, 2.8GHz dual-core FX62 uses 130W).
September 24, 2006 4:20:08 PM

Quote:

ASRock 939Dual-VSTA
+

OR

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
+
Core 2 Duo E6300

BOTH of these options will allow you to reuse your current RAM and AGP video card.

EDIT: The D805 only consumes 200+W of power when you've done some insane overclocking. At stock speed, it shouldn't use more than 90 watts or so. No K8 CPU uses more than 130W (the top-of-the-line, 2.8GHz dual-core FX62 uses 130W).

ASrock 775Dual-VSTA vs. Asus P5PE-VM

vs
http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm

Exactly the same execpt for Chipsets and Asus has Built-in Intel EXtreme Graphics 2 and AGP 8X slot to put in ur AGP cards While Asrock does'nt have Built in Graphics and Asus board say it supports Overclocknig easly up to 3.8Ghz
September 24, 2006 4:29:58 PM

Quote:

ASRock 939Dual-VSTA
+

OR

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
+
Core 2 Duo E6300

vs

Exactly the same execpt for Chipsets and Asus has Built-in Intel EXtreme Graphics 2 and AGP 8X slot to put in ur AGP cards While Asrock does'nt have Built in Graphics and Asus board say it supports Overclocknig easly up to 3.8Ghz

However, that ASUS board has only DDR slots, only an AGP slot, and doesnt support Core 2 Duo (865 chipset = too old).

Not to mention that ASRock is a subsidiary of ASUS :lol: 
September 24, 2006 9:49:18 PM

Quote:

ASRock 939Dual-VSTA
+

OR

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
+
Core 2 Duo E6300

vs

However, that ASUS board has only DDR slots, only an AGP slot, and doesnt support Core 2 Duo (865 chipset = too old).

Not to mention that ASRock is a subsidiary of ASUS :lol: 

Although It might only have 2 DDR slots they are Dual Channel and Only AGP And not anything else This Supports Conroe Series Processers

Linky
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=272&mo...

And it's only 90$ Canadian thats about 75-80$US and this Asus board had 2 Slots Which most users have and only one AGP 8X slot i'm going to use my Nvidia 6200 and so are other until a new processer/ Mobo upgrade maybe to Core 3 Octo??

PLUS THE USE of BUILT-IN-GRAPHICS, So if you don't have a AGP you can still get the board and get something out of it with a Conroe or Allendale chip w/o graphics card
September 24, 2006 10:35:16 PM

Go with Core 2 Duo, currently Fry's sell US$179 for combo E6300 CPU + ECS P4M800PRO-M V2 motherboard until Tuesday 10/26/2006. You might check at www.outpost.com.
September 24, 2006 10:58:04 PM

i suggest you go with e6300 + asus p5b or gigabyte ds3 + ddr2 533 (youll run it at 1:1 ratio, which is nice)
I like
!