Mobility Radeon 9700 and NSF III: HS

Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hi, if anyone can shed some light on this curiosity, I'd be much
obliged: I have a P-M 1.5 GHz laptop with 1 GB of system RAM and an
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of video RAM, and I'm still unable
to run the old Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit full-screen with the
graphics all turned up high! Does anyone know why that is, please??

TIA!
4 answers Last reply
More about mobility radeon 9700
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Left Hand of Empire wrote:
    > Hi, if anyone can shed some light on this curiosity, I'd be much
    > obliged: I have a P-M 1.5 GHz laptop with 1 GB of system RAM and an
    > ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of video RAM, and I'm still unable
    > to run the old Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit full-screen with the
    > graphics all turned up high! Does anyone know why that is, please??
    >
    > TIA!

    What, exactly, do you mean by "unable to run"? Is this a problem with
    the graphics using every available option in the game itself rather than
    a framing or screen resolution problem?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Left Hand of Empire wrote:

    > Hi, if anyone can shed some light on this curiosity, I'd be much
    > obliged: I have a P-M 1.5 GHz laptop with 1 GB of system RAM and an
    > ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of video RAM, and I'm still unable
    > to run the old Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit full-screen with the
    > graphics all turned up high! Does anyone know why that is, please??
    >
    > TIA!

    If you're using the default WindowsXP drivers, then that's the reason
    why. They have horrible performance, sometimes I'm wondering if the
    OpenGL/DirecX acceleration is even enabled in them. Give the drivers
    from www.omegadrivers.net a try. If it's a driver issue, the Omega
    drivers will definitely fix it.

    Also make sure you have the ATI GART drivers installed. For my laptop
    (Compaq Evo N600c) there is a WindowsXP patch from Compaq that installs
    those drivers, check with your manufacturer. In this case too the
    WindowsXP drivers may work, but not 100%.

    Cosmin
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<6cqdnSumAZoqyIfcRVn-gg@comcast.com>...
    > Left Hand of Empire wrote:
    > > Hi, if anyone can shed some light on this curiosity, I'd be much
    > > obliged: I have a P-M 1.5 GHz laptop with 1 GB of system RAM and an
    > > ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of video RAM, and I'm still unable
    > > to run the old Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit full-screen with the
    > > graphics all turned up high! Does anyone know why that is, please??
    > >
    > > TIA!
    >
    > What, exactly, do you mean by "unable to run"? Is this a problem with
    > the graphics using every available option in the game itself rather than
    > a framing or screen resolution problem?

    Well, one or two graphics options are grayed-out (can't recall which
    exactly right now; I don't have the stuff with me), and running
    full-screen SXGA+ (1500x1420 or something like that) with all the
    eye-candy on produces a noticeable enough of a lag in, I guess,
    frame-rates, compared to the small postage-sized window in the middle
    of the screen (pressing F-12, I think)....

    I don't know where the problem lies, which is why I'm really
    wondering. This is a 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, after all! I
    can't believe an old title like NSF III can't be run perfectly smooth,
    where animation and eye-candy detail is concerned, full-screen.

    BTW, Morrowind runs like 95% fine with all details turned on
    (real-time shadows, horizon to the max, etc.), so I think that somehow
    NSF III isn't aware of the hardware available somehow....
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message news:<EpxSc.1639066$Ar.739172@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
    > Left Hand of Empire wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, if anyone can shed some light on this curiosity, I'd be much
    > > obliged: I have a P-M 1.5 GHz laptop with 1 GB of system RAM and an
    > > ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of video RAM, and I'm still unable
    > > to run the old Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit full-screen with the
    > > graphics all turned up high! Does anyone know why that is, please??
    > >
    > > TIA!
    >
    > If you're using the default WindowsXP drivers, then that's the reason
    > why. They have horrible performance, sometimes I'm wondering if the
    > OpenGL/DirecX acceleration is even enabled in them. Give the drivers
    > from www.omegadrivers.net a try. If it's a driver issue, the Omega
    > drivers will definitely fix it.
    >
    > Also make sure you have the ATI GART drivers installed. For my laptop
    > (Compaq Evo N600c) there is a WindowsXP patch from Compaq that installs
    > those drivers, check with your manufacturer. In this case too the
    > WindowsXP drivers may work, but not 100%.
    >
    > Cosmin

    Many thanks for the omegadrivers.net reference. They don't have any
    for the Mobility Radeion 9700, though; are the "regular" 9700 drivers
    the same, then?

    And yes I do have ATI's own software installed and running. I'm
    thinking now that NFS III isn't "sensing" the hardware for some
    reason, 'cause FRPG Morrowind runs like 95% (in terms of animation,
    frame-rate) at SXGA+ with all the eye-candy maxed out.

Laptops Mobility Radeon Games Graphics Video Games