Security CD

Will microsoft be brining out a new Security CD some time? I have got the
February 2004 one and wondering if a new one will be coming out sometim?

It is the SP2 cd.

"Ross Milne" <RossMilne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will microsoft be brining out a new Security CD some time? I have got the
> February 2004 one and wondering if a new one will be coming out sometim?

Good question. I have heard nothing about it and with the release of XP SP2,
there is no need for an updated *XP* Security CD at this time.
Maybe next year?

--
James M. Fisher
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Ross Milne" <RossMilne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will microsoft be brining out a new Security CD some time? I have got the
> February 2004 one and wondering if a new one will be coming out sometim?

Colin, the February 2004 Security CD contained updates for all versions of
Windows from 98 to XP (SP1 at the time). The SP2 CD is only for XP, of
course. <g>

--

> It is the SP2 cd.
>
> "Ross Milne" <RossMilne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Will microsoft be brining out a new Security CD some time? I have got the
>> February 2004 one and wondering if a new one will be coming out sometim?

I know; I use it for my virtual machines in VPC 2004. But this is an XP
newsgroup, is it not?

"James M. Fisher [MVP]" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message
> Colin, the February 2004 Security CD contained updates for all versions of
> Windows from 98 to XP (SP1 at the time). The SP2 CD is only for XP, of
> course. <g>
>
> --
> James M. Fisher
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
> http://computerhaven.info/
> <Please reply in the newsgroups>

>> It is the SP2 cd.
>>
>> "Ross Milne" <RossMilne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Will microsoft be brining out a new Security CD some time? I have got
>>> the
>>> February 2004 one and wondering if a new one will be coming out sometim?

You are correct this is an XP newsgroup. The Security Update CD, as you
know, updated XP to SP1. I think the OP is wondering if there will be a new
release of the Security Update CD which will contain SP2 .
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

| I know; I use it for my virtual machines in VPC 2004. But this is an XP
| newsgroup, is it not?
|
| "James M. Fisher [MVP]" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message
| > Colin, the February 2004 Security CD contained updates for all versions
of
| > Windows from 98 to XP (SP1 at the time). The SP2 CD is only for XP, of
| > course. <g>
| >
| > --
| > James M. Fisher
| > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
| > http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
| > http://computerhaven.info/
| > <Please reply in the newsgroups>
| > ----------------------------------------------------
| >
| > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
| >> It is the SP2 cd.
| >>
| >> "Ross Milne" <RossMilne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Harry, It IS the SP2 cd. There will be many more XP service packs; for
example, when Longhorn components are released for XP at the time when
Windows 2006 is rtm'd. Those service packs will be rollups just as SP2 is.
No one knows if an interim security cd will be released, but I doubt it.

> You are correct this is an XP newsgroup. The Security Update CD, as you
> know, updated XP to SP1. I think the OP is wondering if there will be a
> new
> release of the Security Update CD which will contain SP2 .
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> | I know; I use it for my virtual machines in VPC 2004. But this is an XP
> | newsgroup, is it not?
> |
> | "James M. Fisher [MVP]" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message
> | > Colin, the February 2004 Security CD contained updates for all
> versions
> of
> | > Windows from 98 to XP (SP1 at the time). The SP2 CD is only for XP, of
> | > course. <g>
> | >
> | > --
> | > James M. Fisher
> | > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> | > http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
> | > http://computerhaven.info/
> | > <Please reply in the newsgroups>
> | > ----------------------------------------------------
> | >
> | > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

> got
> sometim?

Additional note: The reason that I doubt that another security cd will
appear is that the Feb 2004 cd was the product of a special team put
together to address security as a result of the secure computing initiative
and not just a collection of patches and updates. I think it is unlikely
that another team will be assembled because now Windows 2006 and 2007 are
priorities.

> You are correct this is an XP newsgroup. The Security Update CD, as you
> know, updated XP to SP1. I think the OP is wondering if there will be a
> new
> release of the Security Update CD which will contain SP2 .
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> | I know; I use it for my virtual machines in VPC 2004. But this is an XP
> | newsgroup, is it not?
> |
> | "James M. Fisher [MVP]" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message
> | > Colin, the February 2004 Security CD contained updates for all
> versions
> of
> | > Windows from 98 to XP (SP1 at the time). The SP2 CD is only for XP, of
> | > course. <g>
> | >
> | > --
> | > James M. Fisher
> | > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> | > http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
> | > http://computerhaven.info/
> | > <Please reply in the newsgroups>
> | > ----------------------------------------------------
> | >
> | > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

> got
> sometim?

Colin SP2 is not the same as the Security CD that the OP was asking about.
As you know SP2 is specific to updating XP only. For your clarification and
my edification, I'll inform you that I beta tested the Security Update CD so
I'm somewhat familiar with it. The purpose of the Security CD was not just
to update XP but also to update Windows 2000, as both OS were prone to being
attacked, and it updated Windows 98/Me. In addition the Security Update CD
upgraded DirectX and Media Player and gave information on making your system
more secure.

The OP asked if there would be an updated Security CD. Given that the
Security CD updated not only XP but also other versions of windows it was/is
a handy tool especially if you run multiple systems with multiple OS. It
understandable that someone would ask about future updates for it. While
there might not be another such disc in the offing I think it was a great
idea and would enjoy seeing another one.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

| Harry, It IS the SP2 cd. There will be many more XP service packs; for
| example, when Longhorn components are released for XP at the time when
| Windows 2006 is rtm'd. Those service packs will be rollups just as SP2
is.
| No one knows if an interim security cd will be released, but I doubt it.
|
| "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
| > You are correct this is an XP newsgroup. The Security Update CD, as you
| > know, updated XP to SP1. I think the OP is wondering if there will be a
| > new
| > release of the Security Update CD which will contain SP2 .
| > --
| >
| > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
| > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
| >

| > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
| > | I know; I use it for my virtual machines in VPC 2004. But this is an
XP
| > | newsgroup, is it not?
| > |
| > | "James M. Fisher [MVP]" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message
| > versions
| > of

| > got
| > sometim?

| > |
| > |

Harry, I know all this about the Security cd and the beta program. My point
is that the project brought security issues forward for Windows OS's and is
not likely to be repeated.

No one knows if a security CD project will be done again, but I doubt it.
It's purpose was a one shot deal.

Any security cd pertaining to XP is simply an XP service pack and not a
security cd like the Feb 2004 cd. Future XP service packs are likely to
involve adding Avalon and Indigo to XP as the Longhorn technology
progresses.

The OP's primary interest is undoubtedly XP, so the legacy systems included
in the Feb 2004 release are moot.

Thanks minimally for the lesson Colin.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

| Harry, I know all this about the Security cd and the beta program. My
point
| is that the project brought security issues forward for Windows OS's and
is
| not likely to be repeated.
|
| No one knows if a security CD project will be done again, but I doubt it.
| It's purpose was a one shot deal.
|
| Any security cd pertaining to XP is simply an XP service pack and not a
| security cd like the Feb 2004 cd. Future XP service packs are likely to
| involve adding Avalon and Indigo to XP as the Longhorn technology
| progresses.
|
| The OP's primary interest is undoubtedly XP, so the legacy systems
included
| in the Feb 2004 release are moot.
|
| "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
| > Colin SP2 is not the same as the Security CD that the OP was asking
about.
| > As you know SP2 is specific to updating XP only. For your clarification
| > and
| > my edification, I'll inform you that I beta tested the Security Update
CD
| > so
| > I'm somewhat familiar with it. The purpose of the Security CD was not
just
| > to update XP but also to update Windows 2000, as both OS were prone to
| > being
| > attacked, and it updated Windows 98/Me. In addition the Security Update
CD
| > upgraded DirectX and Media Player and gave information on making your
| > system
| > more secure.
| >
| > The OP asked if there would be an updated Security CD. Given that the
| > Security CD updated not only XP but also other versions of windows it
| > was/is
| > a handy tool especially if you run multiple systems with multiple OS. It
| > understandable that someone would ask about future updates for it. While
| > there might not be another such disc in the offing I think it was a
great
| > idea and would enjoy seeing another one.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
| > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
| >

| > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
| > | Harry, It IS the SP2 cd. There will be many more XP service packs;
for
| > | example, when Longhorn components are released for XP at the time when
| > | Windows 2006 is rtm'd. Those service packs will be rollups just as
SP2
| > is.
| > | No one knows if an interim security cd will be released, but I doubt
it.
| > |
| > | "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
| > you

| > an
| > XP
| > | > |
| > XP,
| > of

| > message
| > have

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

yw

> [...]
> | > being
> | > attacked, and it updated Windows 98/Me. In addition the Security
> Update
> CD
> | > upgraded DirectX and Media Player and gave information on making your
> | > system
> | > more secure.
> | >
> | > The OP asked if there would be an updated Security CD. Given that the
> | > Security CD updated not only XP but also other versions of windows it
> | > was/is
> | > a handy tool especially if you run multiple systems with multiple OS.
> It
> | > understandable that someone would ask about future updates for it.
> While
> | > there might not be another such disc in the offing I think it was a
> great
> | > idea and would enjoy seeing another one.

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> yw
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> Thanks minimally for the lesson Colin.
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> | Harry, I know all this about the Security cd and the beta program. My
>> point
>> | is that the project brought security issues forward for Windows OS's
>> and
>> is
>> | not likely to be repeated.
>> |
>> | No one knows if a security CD project will be done again, but I doubt
>> it.
>> | It's purpose was a one shot deal.
>> |
>> | Any security cd pertaining to XP is simply an XP service pack and not a
>> | security cd like the Feb 2004 cd. Future XP service packs are likely
>> | involve adding Avalon and Indigo to XP as the Longhorn technology
>> | progresses.
>> |
>> | The OP's primary interest is undoubtedly XP, so the legacy systems
>> included
>> | in the Feb 2004 release are moot.
>> |
>> | "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> about.
>> clarification
>> Update
>> CD
>> just
>> Update
>> CD

>> It
>> While
>> great

>> for
>> when
>> SP2
>> doubt
>> it.
>> | > |
>> as
>> will
>> be

>> message
>> is
>> | > | > |
>> all
>> for

>> messa
>> ge

>> out
>> | > | > | >>

>> | > | > |
>> | > | > |

>> | > |
>> | > |

Nice to see I started up a big convo between 2 people about one question with
one answer lol!!

Well done 2 me!!!

Ross