Best Gaming Rig For Around $1200?

I'm building a new computer and i'm not certain on which path to take. AMD vs Intel? Dual core vs single core? I've heard that Dual is best for apps, while Single is still optimal for games. Is that true? I have around $1200. I'm already going to spend ~$200 on an LCD monitor + keyboard + mouse. So I need to find a case, power supply, cpu, mem, mobo, video, etc.

THanks
17 answers Last reply
More about best gaming 1200
  1. Check this out for around $1200:

$1200 Gaming Rig
  2. search my friend. with that budget, get an Intel E6300, ATI 1900XT and build the system around those 2. It will five you a good solid amount of performance.
  3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814102051
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820144038
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115005

there's you a good start. Comes to about $550 so far. Now just add a MOBO, HDD, Optical Drive, Case, and PSU and your good to go!
  4. holy crap, that is a good deal
  5. I'm kind of sketched out by that eBay listing. It sounds like someone's already been screwing around with that computer, o/c-ing it and whatnot. Plus, is a Pentium Dual core really the way to go with gaming?

Can anyone give some advice regarding gaming systems?

Dual core vs Single core

&

Pentium vs AMD
  6. It is IMPERATIVE that you check out the VGA charts and the CPU charts in tomshardware. Nothing more enlighting to you right now.
  7. link?
  8. Quote:
    link?

o_o woah youre lazy, but ill be nice so here and here. Want me to tell you wich one is for CPUs and wich one for VGAs too??
  9. Oh My God! Look at this idiot. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/sys/211288942.html

That guy is a total ripoff!

Gosh, I could think of a better way to spend 1200 dollars.
  10. Quote:
    Oh My God! Look at this idiot. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/sys/211288942.html

That guy is a total ripoff!

Gosh, I could think of a better way to spend 1200 dollars.

thats a really really old site... for $1200 right now you can even get a E6600, Asus P5B Deluxe, X1900XT, Ballistix 2GB 6400 CL4, 250GB Barracuda!
  11. My rig with a better video card, 7900 gt overclock it... and youd have a kick ass gaming system!
  12. Quote:
    o_o woah youre lazy, but ill be nice so here and here. Want me to tell you wich one is for CPUs and wich one for VGAs too??

Hey go easy on him. He joined the forum 4 days ago and has 3 posts - both of which seem to indicate he's probably "new." 8O
    If I was in his shoes and you told me to check out the "VGA charts", I'd have no idea what you were talking about. And when I plug "VGA charts" into the Tom's search, it isn't the first result that comes up ... I actually found it by digging through a separate article that had a link in it.
  13. Here's a very respectable AMD build for $1,272.57 (including shipping):

Mobo
    ABIT KN9 ULTRA Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
    ($109.99) - Newegg

CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor
    ($249.00) - Newegg

RAM
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
    ($299 or $259 after MIR) - Newegg

Video
    SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video Card
    ($249.99 or 234.99 after MIR) - Newegg

HDD
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    ($94.99) - Newegg

PSU
    Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL
    ($89.99) - Newegg

Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    ($149.99) - Newegg

With Mail-In Rebates applied, that total comes down to $1,217.57. Not bad, I'd say. You could get yourself under the $1200 mark by choosing a different case, as it is buyer preference. However, I just purchased the Thermaltake Armor Jr., and I'd trade it in a heartbeat for that Antec case. ;)

I lack the energy to follow up with a similarly priced Intel build. Hopefully some fanboy will take offense to this post's obvious partisan to AMD and whip up a bargain Intel deal out of his fury.

The build will plow you through virtually anything you throw at it: games, applications, multitasking ... The upcoming AM3 CPU is said to be drop-in compatible with current AM2 sockets, so you also have a clear upgrade path in the future.

Good luck.

ArbY
  14. I appreciate your responses, everyone. Will report back with some thoughts soon.
  15. Are you up for overclocking?? Because in that case I might have a few very effective recommendations =]
  16. I'm up for it, but I'm not bent on doing it. However, if it can be done without causing a risk of damage to the hardware, I'm cool with it. The main thing here for me is to stay close to $1200 and get the best performance possible for games. I haven't checked out the CPU and VGA charts yet, but I will tomorrow I think. Been really busy lately with school :(

A friend of mine, when informed that I was building a gaming rig, told me not to get a Dual Core processor because "Games don't use both cores, they only use one." That sounded weird to me--is it true? So he said I should just find a powerful single core processor and work from there. He recommended a Socket 939 (which is outdated, right?) AMD cpu. Any thoughts on this? Should I go for Dual core or not? This is a main question I have and I don't think anyone here has answered it yet. Would be much appreciated!

Lastly, when looking for a high performance board but trying to stay on budget, should I go for a radeon or nvidia series? I don't plan to go for SLI or X-fire here obviously.

Thanks again for the responses, folks.
  17. lol I did. In the charts there are several benchmarks on how all the modern CPUs perform on several games. The games nowadays are MADE for dual-core processors, therefore they take full advantage of them both. s939 isnt worth the few bucks you save for the dead end it offers.
    Overclocking only damages the hardware of the ppl that dont know what theyre doing and mess around with voltages. If you follow a guide step by step and do it slowly it shouldnt hurt.

This is something really similar to a setup ill be building:

DFI LP UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) This memory is great and recommended by your motherboard to overclock.

Radeon X1900XT 256MB

OCZ GameXStream 600W power supply

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS 250GB HHD

And your pick of a case. And an aftermarket HSF would be wise too.

This is a very nice and easly overclockable setup. AM2 has better chances to be future proof than Intel, due to their FSB. That motherboard has proven to be (and youll see it in any review that you read) the best for overclocking, with stability and security, of course. There are a few ways to cut costs down if you wish.
    Asus, even that it has alot of bells and whistles, simply doesnt cut it for the overcloking performance the DFI NF590 can deliver.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product