Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Use MS Backup and CD RW?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 12:29:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi everybody,

I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.

I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP Pro], to
backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have been
dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.

Any advice?

Thanks
Matt

More about : backup

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 1:56:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

MS Backup cannot backup directly to a CDR(W). You can create the backup file
and save it to a hard drive, then copy it to a CD.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

--
James M. Fisher
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
http://computerhaven.info/
<Please reply in the newsgroups>
----------------------------------------------------

"A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
>
> I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP Pro],
> to
> backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have been
> dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks
> Matt
>
>
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 1:56:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

The other replies are not entirley correct. While it is true that NT Backup
does not copy directly to CD you can't simply make a backup to your HDD and
then transfer this to CD. You could if the backup was under say 620MB. NT
Backup does not have disk spanning( end on one CD and begin on the next) and
so you will need a third party software to do the job properly. Programs that
split the files into 620MB sections may not work either as sometimes a
program will look for all of it's components before continuing to reload. So
if you have split a program down the middle or jumbled up it's components
then you're done. You can of course use NT Backup to back up to another
partition or external HDD or tape drive. So, in short, to backup to external
media it is best to get a third party application like Ghost or Drive Image.
TTFN.

"James M. Fisher [MVP]" wrote:

> MS Backup cannot backup directly to a CDR(W). You can create the backup file
> and save it to a hard drive, then copy it to a CD.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
>
> --
> James M. Fisher
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
> http://computerhaven.info/
> <Please reply in the newsgroups>
> ----------------------------------------------------
>
> "A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
> >
> > I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP Pro],
> > to
> > backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have been
> > dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
> >
> > Any advice?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Matt
> >
> >
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 2:46:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

And what was not 'entirely correct' in my response?
Granted I did not go into detail regarding MS Backup and it's shortcomings,
but nothing I posted was incorrect, IMO.

--
James M. Fisher
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
http://computerhaven.info/
<Please reply in the newsgroups>
----------------------------------------------------

"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
news:5F87B7A7-01B3-47AC-8652-18E83BC1622A@microsoft.com...
> The other replies are not entirley correct. While it is true that NT
> Backup
> does not copy directly to CD you can't simply make a backup to your HDD
> and
> then transfer this to CD. You could if the backup was under say 620MB. NT
> Backup does not have disk spanning( end on one CD and begin on the next)
> and
> so you will need a third party software to do the job properly. Programs
> that
> split the files into 620MB sections may not work either as sometimes a
> program will look for all of it's components before continuing to reload.
> So
> if you have split a program down the middle or jumbled up it's components
> then you're done. You can of course use NT Backup to back up to another
> partition or external HDD or tape drive. So, in short, to backup to
> external
> media it is best to get a third party application like Ghost or Drive
> Image.
> TTFN.
>
> "James M. Fisher [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> MS Backup cannot backup directly to a CDR(W). You can create the backup
>> file
>> and save it to a hard drive, then copy it to a CD.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
>>
>> --
>> James M. Fisher
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
>> http://computerhaven.info/
>> <Please reply in the newsgroups>
>> ----------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi everybody,
>> >
>> > I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
>> >
>> > I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP
>> > Pro],
>> > to
>> > backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have
>> > been
>> > dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
>> >
>> > Any advice?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Matt
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 4:58:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Backing up to cd is tedious and error prone due to the large number of cd's
needed for a full back up. Of course you can just back up your files and
settings which will reduce the number of cd's needed nicely

For full back ups I suggest you back up to an external hard drive. They are
relatively inexpensive. Most come with a software cd that contains a backup
program for free.

If you want the full featured version of Backup.exe, check into BackUpMyPC
by Stomp. This is the program from which Backup.exe is derived. Google to
Stomp or Backupmypc and download the trial version. If you decide to buy a
back up program, be sure not to buy the download version. Buy the cd
version because if your hard drive fails your back up program is gone too.

"A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
>
> I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP Pro],
> to
> backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have been
> dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks
> Matt
>
>
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:24:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

check here
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Hi everybody,
|
| I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
|
| I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP Pro],
to
| backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have been
| dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
|
| Any advice?
|
| Thanks
| Matt
|
|
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:24:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> check here
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>
>
> "A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | Hi everybody,
> |
> | I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
> |
> | I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP Pro],
> to
> | backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have been
> | dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
> |
> | Any advice?
> |
> | Thanks
> | Matt
> |
> |
>
>
>
With the current prices of internal hard drives, why not install a second
hard drive? Friday's paper: Western Digital 160GB Serial ATA/150 $69.99.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:47:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

A. M. Brineman wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
>
> I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP
> Pro], to backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so
> far, have been dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks
> Matt


Had you spent ten seconds searching Google (http://groups.google.com) you'd
have known the answer. You cannot back up to CD. You would need to back up
to your hard drive and transfer.
--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
on salads.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 7:09:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:58E27295-4C5A-48B6-A7F9-1BF1689B65B4@microsoft.com...
|
|
| "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
|
| > check here
| > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm
| > --
| >
| > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
| > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
| >
| >
| > "A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
| > news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > | Hi everybody,
| > |
| > | I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
| > |
| > | I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP
Pro],
| > to
| > | backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have
been
| > | dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
| > |
| > | Any advice?
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > | Matt
| > |
| > |
| >
| >
| >
| With the current prices of internal hard drives, why not install a second
| hard drive? Friday's paper: Western Digital 160GB Serial ATA/150 $69.99.

With the current life-span of internal hard drives you need to ensure that
you have a better backup plan than just a second drive.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:43:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

James M. Fisher [MVP] wrote:
> And what was not 'entirely correct' in my response?
> Granted I did not go into detail regarding MS Backup and it's
> shortcomings, but nothing I posted was incorrect, IMO.

Nor me.


--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
on salads.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:43:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Having nothing better to do...
The Unkown P is simply saying that you can't backup to a file larger than
620 )or so) MB because of the limitations of CD size. This would be a problem
for anyone wishing to backup an entire HD, or even a lot of Video/Image/Sound
files.
My DVD burner won't even handle all my Web Site files, but then, I just make
copies.

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> James M. Fisher [MVP] wrote:
> > And what was not 'entirely correct' in my response?
> > Granted I did not go into detail regarding MS Backup and it's
> > shortcomings, but nothing I posted was incorrect, IMO.
>
> Nor me.
>
>
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:58:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

For back up purposes, an external drive is more secure and the drive is
easily moved if needed.

"Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:58E27295-4C5A-48B6-A7F9-1BF1689B65B4@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
>
>> check here
>> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>
>>
>> "A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> | Hi everybody,
>> |
>> | I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
>> |
>> | I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP
>> Pro],
>> to
>> | backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have
>> been
>> | dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
>> |
>> | Any advice?
>> |
>> | Thanks
>> | Matt
>> |
>> |
>>
>>
>>
> With the current prices of internal hard drives, why not install a second
> hard drive? Friday's paper: Western Digital 160GB Serial ATA/150 $69.99.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:59:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

As I recall, Maxtor rates their drives with an average duty time of 69
years.

"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
news:o 7TYH$1yEHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
> "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:58E27295-4C5A-48B6-A7F9-1BF1689B65B4@microsoft.com...
> |
> |
> | "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
> |
> | > check here
> | > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm
> | > --
> | >
> | > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> | > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> | >
> | >
> | > "A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> | > news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | > | Hi everybody,
> | > |
> | > | I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
> | > |
> | > | I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP
> Pro],
> | > to
> | > | backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have
> been
> | > | dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
> | > |
> | > | Any advice?
> | > |
> | > | Thanks
> | > | Matt
> | > |
> | > |
> | >
> | >
> | >
> | With the current prices of internal hard drives, why not install a
> second
> | hard drive? Friday's paper: Western Digital 160GB Serial ATA/150 $69.99.
>
> With the current life-span of internal hard drives you need to ensure that
> you have a better backup plan than just a second drive.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>
>
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:59:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

WinXP's NTBackup does not recognize CDRs or CDRWs as valid backup
media. By design, it will only write back-ups to tape drives or
another physical or logical hard drive. Many people back-up to a
spare hard drive, and then burn the resulting file to a CD, as a
work-around. Another option, of course, is to use a 3rd party backup
solution.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having both at once. - RAH

"A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
>
> I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP
> Pro], to
> backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have
> been
> dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks
> Matt
>
>
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 2:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I think that's shelf life ;-)


--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o UPfg$3yEHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> As I recall, Maxtor rates their drives with an average duty time of 69
> years.
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> news:o 7TYH$1yEHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:58E27295-4C5A-48B6-A7F9-1BF1689B65B4@microsoft.com...
>> |
>> |
>> | "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
>> |
>> | > check here
>> | > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm
>> | > --
>> | >
>> | > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> | > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>> | >
>> | >
>> | > "A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> | > news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> | > | Hi everybody,
>> | > |
>> | > | I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
>> | > |
>> | > | I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP
>> Pro],
>> | > to
>> | > | backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have
>> been
>> | > | dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
>> | > |
>> | > | Any advice?
>> | > |
>> | > | Thanks
>> | > | Matt
>> | > |
>> | > |
>> | >
>> | >
>> | >
>> | With the current prices of internal hard drives, why not install a
>> second
>> | hard drive? Friday's paper: Western Digital 160GB Serial ATA/150
>> $69.99.
>>
>> With the current life-span of internal hard drives you need to ensure
>> that
>> you have a better backup plan than just a second drive.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 3:48:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:46:03 -0500, "James M. Fisher [MVP]"
<xrayjames@msn.com> wrote :

>And what was not 'entirely correct' in my response?
>Granted I did not go into detail regarding MS Backup and it's shortcomings,
>but nothing I posted was incorrect, IMO.

Hey, don't get your snickers in a twist! But what you posted was
incomplete, and thus in my view also, not entirely correct - it will
not work for backups larger than the size of a single CD (or DVD) onto
which the backup has to be copied after saving to HDD.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 4:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:48:42 +1100, Peter Wilkins
<wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> wrote :


>Hey, don't get your snickers in a twist!

Sorry, my spell checker went haywire.
Delete snickers, insert knickers.
But it was sort of appropriate.....
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 7:10:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Average hard drive lifespan expectancy is 3-5 years. I've had some fail
within 2 days and some last as long as 10 years. I had 2 maxtors fail within
a week of each other and both were under 1 year old. The worst experience
I've had is with Fujitsu drives. Old maxtor drives that are under 6GB seem
to have greater longevity than new large drives of over 40GB. I know the old
drives certainly run a lot cooler than the new ones.


--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o UPfg$3yEHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| As I recall, Maxtor rates their drives with an average duty time of 69
| years.
|
| "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
| news:o 7TYH$1yEHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| >
| > "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > news:58E27295-4C5A-48B6-A7F9-1BF1689B65B4@microsoft.com...
| > |
| > |
| > | "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
| > |
| > | > check here
| > | > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm
| > | > --
| > | >
| > | > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
| > | > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
| > | >
| > | >
| > | > "A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
| > | > news:elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > | > | Hi everybody,
| > | > |
| > | > | I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
| > | > |
| > | > | I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP
| > Pro],
| > | > to
| > | > | backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far,
have
| > been
| > | > | dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
| > | > |
| > | > | Any advice?
| > | > |
| > | > | Thanks
| > | > | Matt
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | >
| > | >
| > | >
| > | With the current prices of internal hard drives, why not install a
| > second
| > | hard drive? Friday's paper: Western Digital 160GB Serial ATA/150
$69.99.
| >
| > With the current life-span of internal hard drives you need to ensure
that
| > you have a better backup plan than just a second drive.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
| > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
| >
| >
|
|
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 7:14:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

NTBACKUP can directly write to DVD with Firestreamer-DVD
http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/. CDs are not supported though.

"A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
>
> I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP Pro], to
> backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have been
> dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks
> Matt
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 7:50:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I don't see how "incomplete" = "incorrect".
Besides I did give a link to an article on using Windows backup, which the
OP was looking for.

"knickers un-twisted" <g>

--
James M. Fisher
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
http://computerhaven.info/
<Please reply in the newsgroups>
----------------------------------------------------

"Peter Wilkins" <wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:mrmip0doecq791nro9hn1edetc2e57116d@4ax.com...
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:46:03 -0500, "James M. Fisher [MVP]"
<xrayjames@msn.com> wrote :

>And what was not 'entirely correct' in my response?
>Granted I did not go into detail regarding MS Backup and it's shortcomings,
>but nothing I posted was incorrect, IMO.

Hey, don't get your snickers in a twist! But what you posted was
incomplete, and thus in my view also, not entirely correct - it will
not work for backups larger than the size of a single CD (or DVD) onto
which the backup has to be copied after saving to HDD.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 8:26:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

It will also do it if you have packet writing software such as Easy Media
Creator's Drag to Disk and Nero's InCD installed on your system.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"nospam@cristalink.com" <nickr1@maxnet.co.nz> wrote in message
news:8a0d7cf7.0411161614.47078ae6@posting.google.com...
> NTBACKUP can directly write to DVD with Firestreamer-DVD
> http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/. CDs are not supported though.
>
> "A. M. Brineman" <ambrin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:<elGlpfyyEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I bought my new Dell 8300 with all the bells and whistles.
>>
>> I can't seem to find ANY tutorials on using MS Backup, [Windows XP Pro],
>> to
>> backup files to my CD-RW discs/drive. All my attempts so far, have been
>> dismal failures. So far, Dell hasn't been much help.
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Matt
!