I have recently notice that my laptop has the following issues:
- Doesn't follow power option settings (shutting off the monitor, go to sleep on timeout, etc)
- Doesn't turn on the screen saver. Previewing the screensaver turns it off in about a second (even if my hands are off the mouse/keyboard).
- Windows 7 Projector Connection screen (WinKey+P) goes away after a second or so after bringing it up
- Some windows open in background (for example, Picasa image viewer opens windowed in the background instead of fullscreen in front as it used to)
From what I understand based on some light Googling and vague leads, there is some sort of interrupt happening that makes the OS think it is being actively used. Unfortunately I am not sure how to pinpoint and solve the issue from here on, so therefore I turn to this forum for help. Some notes about stuff I tried and know about this issue:
- This must have happened in the past week or two. I do not recall installing any new software and the only updates that passed my memory were Windows Updates.
- Checking Task Manager doesn't reveal any suspicious processes to me.
- Some sources suggested this could be a faulty Logitech driver. I own a Logitech mouse and keyboard combo. Something to consider, I guess?
- Windows 7 32b SP 1, up to date
- AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58
- 2GB RAM
- 250GB HDD
- ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
- Connected devices: LAN, Logitech Alto Connect Notebook Stand, Logitech S520 Keyboard + mouse that goes with that kit, USB external drive, VGA monitor, line-in running into the microphone port to play sound out of the laptop speakers
Any suggestions to help me figure this out are welcome.
Additional notes: I've noticed that dropdowns on some websites are affected by this issue too.
You can also try a system restore, i.e. set it back a few days/weeks to see if that helps. You can find it by just searching for system restore in the start menu.
Upgraded my Logitech driver just now and that has had no effect. Had to do it through the website as oddly the SetPoint software has deemed my slightly dated driver/software versions up to date. Fairly certain it is not the keyboard or mouse as I at some point disconnected everything from the laptop and the problem persisted.
System restore doesn't go much farther than a few days back, issue existed before that. Also, I somewhat uncomfortable using it as I am not sure what it affects in whole.