Sign in with
Your question

Oblivion Texture Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2006 11:06:40 PM

And so the long list of problems with my X1900XT continues... After installing Oblivion (which i just purchased today) onto my new PC it automatically detects ultra high settings :D  and finally after about an hour of play i get out of this dungeon and sewer area into the lovely, green lush outdoors... but wait one second, look at this:

And this....

Now i don't mean to be too harsh on oblivion, but last time i checked this game was meant to have awesome graphics and whilst 95% of the game so far does, just looking at those backgrounds in the distance sends shivers down my spine - so, i was wondering if any of you people might know what the problem is? :D  Btw, i don't know if its relevant but if i move towards the areas of hideous textures they begin to get fine as i get closer.

So far i've tried installing the latest ATI drivers (6.9) and the patch for oblvion, both not working.

My main specs are (all non-oc)

E6600
2G Corsair XMS2 6400 C4
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
X-Fi Xtreme Music
& X1900XT
Antec TPII 550W

p.s. as for the continuing line of problems, well i've allready had this card artifact whilst playing WoW and AOE3 on full settings and on the canyon test in 3Dmark06, i RMAed it but they said the card was fine.
September 22, 2006 11:28:24 PM

Quote:

i've allready had this card artifact whilst playing WoW and AOE3 on full settings and on the canyon test in 3Dmark06, i RMAed it but they said the card was fine.

What kind of artifacts?...do you have any pics?

As for Oblivion, you need to play with your in game settings like the grass draw distance(or whatever it's called, I dont play the game).

There are also texture packs that are supposed to greatly improve visuals up for download.

Someone here will be able to help you fix up the game.
September 22, 2006 11:39:51 PM

*goes to dig up previous threads on this issue :lol:  *

In WoW and 3DMark06 it was all general jaginess, if you know what i mean, everything looking splintered and spikey (also black dots in 3DMark) and in AOE3 it was minor things like some water texture randomly getting distorted but i didn't want to risk running it for too long like that...

Anyway i'll try out your suggestions tomorrow morning :D  live in UK so it's 12:30 in the morning now and got a rubbish nights sleep last night so it's off to bed for me. Thanks for you tip.
Related resources
September 23, 2006 12:05:25 AM

By the way i don't know if it's relevant but for some reason i can't run AA + HDR at the same time. I thought you could with ATI cards or am i wrong?
September 23, 2006 12:08:27 AM

Quote:
By the way i don't know if it's relevant but for some reason i can't run AA + HDR at the same time. I thought you could with ATI cards or am i wrong?

You need to use the "Chuck Patch".

Google it 8)
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2006 12:12:20 AM

You hoser, "google it" made you beat me to the punch. :D 
September 23, 2006 12:12:40 AM

what you are seeing is sadly normal for oblivion. My question for bethesdas developers is what were they smoking when they coded this game ? as it runs terrible and looks terrible in many respects.
September 23, 2006 12:20:38 AM

Dunno what the fuss is about distant, low detail background.

It must be hard being a developer, with some people always complaining, always wanting more, never happy with what they get...

I couldn't care less about the back drop, it's not like I'm walking and only watching the horizon - someone who stares into the deep of the backdrop constantly, probably had some to smoke themselves.

If it's a problem, get the mod for backdrop and distant LOD....
September 23, 2006 12:22:20 AM

Quote:
You hoser, "google it" made you beat me to the punch. :D 

That's actually pretty funny :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2006 12:32:02 AM

lol, Not to me. I'm out there grabbing links and typing away, and in jumps GW with a quick little google the chuck patch one-liner. :x :wink:

Funny thing is I had almost submited a "Google Tweakguides Oblivion" line myself. :lol: 
September 23, 2006 12:33:49 AM

Well...I kinda helped :evil: 

At least I told him a fix was out there, and gave him the means to find it :D 
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2006 12:35:00 AM

Yup, that you did. And in doing so stole my glory. :roll:
September 23, 2006 12:45:45 AM

I sank your Battleship :lol: 
September 23, 2006 12:55:48 AM

lol

It's no wonder you gentlemen have so many posts...

Edit: Just want to throw this out there...I quit playing oblivion because it sucks...I'm not impressed. The gameplay was really cool for the first hour. Take a look at the graphics in Halflife 2 and then take a look at Oblivion graphics. Now look at framerates. Umm, what's going on? lol
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2006 1:10:54 AM

You know, I never played any of the other ES games. But I got hooked on Oblivion. Honestly must have close to 300 hours invested in that game and if I had the time, I'd love to get rehooked again.

Yet contrast that to Doom 3...the demo got so old I couldn't wait to be finished with it. I returned the unopened retail box version I had bought, and only later bought it in the bargain bin for benchmarking sake.

I guess to each his/her own.
September 23, 2006 1:23:42 AM

Oblivion can easily bury the best video subsystem out there, so there are adjustments to turn down some of the settings.

There's a slider under "Options" which lets you adjust how far out to draw detail. If you have it set too far out, you'll bury your video, even if it is an x1900.

I play Oblivion on a x1900xtx at the same setting. If it bothers you, turn it up, but your frame rate will plummet.
September 23, 2006 1:29:43 AM

Here's a good walkthrough for getting the best graphics out of Oblivion. http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_4.html The high res texture packs, half way down on that page, make a huge difference in the distant terrain.

As you can see if you flip through the article many of the ingame options sliders only change the settings so far, you can manually change them to look much better.

As for the lackluster gameplay, leveled everything, and few monster spawns, check out http://jorgeoscuro.googlepages.com/. This changes the game so much that, after beating it, I had to play all the way through again.
!