What can of memory can my system support?

xvariable

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Hello,

I have a DELL Dimension XPS Gen 4.

THe motherboard is described as "Part# U7084 - CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), TRANSFORMER SKY DIVE MINITOWER, XPS-G4, MID-LIFE KICKER"

The manual states that this system supports DDR2 memory.

My question is:
-What is the fastest DDR2 memory available for my system?
-Can i use DDR3 by chance?

thanks much for any assistance

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
A Motherboard can only use the DDR standard that's specified, 939's can only use DDR, AM2 only DDR2, etc. So no, you can't use DDR3, and I don't think you'll be able to find any right now unless you looked on eBay. If I were you, I'd just go for 2 x 1 GB DDR2/800 modules. Then again, your motherboard might not support it. Sorry I can't be of any further help.. Have you tried the dell website? They usually have some sort of upgrade available for their systems so you can check which DDR2 speed you can use, then go and buy it on newegg where it's cheaper.

xvariable

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
According to the manual, i can use only "400- and 533-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM". So i would like to go with the faster.

I have 1 GB installed on my system..are there any diagnostic tools out there that will tell me what the speed of that memory is?

thanks again.

A Motherboard can only use the DDR standard that's specified, 939's can only use DDR, AM2 only DDR2, etc. So no, you can't use DDR3, and I don't think you'll be able to find any right now unless you looked on eBay. If I were you, I'd just go for 2 x 1 GB DDR2/800 modules. Then again, your motherboard might not support it. Sorry I can't be of any further help.. Have you tried the dell website? They usually have some sort of upgrade available for their systems so you can check which DDR2 speed you can use, then go and buy it on newegg where it's cheaper.

xvariable

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
i ran CPU-Z utility and see the following;

-in Slot #1, i have 512MB PC2-4300 (266Mhz)
-In Slot#2, nothing
-in Slot#3, i have 512MB PC2-4300 (266Mhz)
-in slot#4, nothing

The manual for the XPS Gen for states the memory that should be used are 400 and 533 MHZ DDR2 Unbuffered SDRAM.

WHY is CPU-Z showing memory that is running at 1/2 the 533 MHZ speed? Or is that normal? Is it because they are in odd numbered slots?

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
It's normal behavior, but not because of the slots they are in, but the nature of the RAM. DDR stands for Double Data Rate. Single Data Rate RAM transfers data on the risng pulse of each clock cycle. DDR transfers data on the rising and falling pulse of the clock signal.

[code:1:7a9ac9830d]Single Data Rate RAM:
266MHz (Clock Speed) x 1 (Transfer per Clock) = 266MHz Effective Speed

Double Data Rate RAM:
266MHz (Clock Speed) x 2 (Transfers per Clock) = 533MHz Effective Speed[/code:1:7a9ac9830d]

thetanman

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I used this site to find out what upgrades my Dell was compatible with a while back.
http://powerleap.com/
Granted, DON'T buy here, but you may get help finding what you need with their configurator.
JUST NOTICED THIS:
Powerleap has a site now just for Dells:
http://www.dellupgrades.com/