Case recomm.

Can anyone give me the makes of some mid and full size cases for this system Im attempting to build.

P5 delux MB
E6600 cpu
Segate Barra HD
7600 VC
Standard CD/DVD

I may try oc'ing after I give this some good burn in time. Ive seen so many dang cases on the market in my search. :( Im totally confused. Any advice on what to steer away from and what to steer too!

Thanks
20 answers Last reply
More about case recomm
  1. Look for the NZXT Zero in newegg. Its got eight fans and tons of space to work on, its a tad expensive but totally worth it IMO. You might wanna get a fan controller with it to have all that turbine power under control lol
  2. Antec P180 is good.
  3. I like thermaltake Armor a lot. Huge, plenty of space to upgrade rig and add stuff. You can even get one with a 250mm fan in the side widow. Plenty of cooling.
  4. You can get high quality case like Thermaltake Armor or Kandalf but it's better to get a much better deal and low cost good quality case like Cooler Master Centurion and spend your money at a more important pc components like the cpu.
  5. Quote:
    Antec P180 is good.

And very quiet.
  6. Also consider the Just PC R900. Big case. If you buy it, send me a PM and let me know if it was worth it :)
  7. I like the NXT Zero Also. One Of My All-time favorites.
    I used the Thermaltake Armor on my last build
    But you should give us a price range.

Try not to get a case with too much plastic. I currently have the APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-Navigator, its a great case but the front panel is made of plastic and I hate it.
  8. I got no problems with my Thermaltake Soprano case :P

http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/soprano/bws/bws.htm
  9. Case preference is mostly dependant on three things: 1)Size 2)Cooling 3)Looks

That being the case (pun not intended :-) ), choose whatever case you think looks good, will fit your ATX motherboard, and will sufficiently cool what you put in it (hopefully without sounding like a Boeing 747).

The only recommendations I will offer is to try to get a case with 120mm fans instead of 80mm, stay away from bundled PSU's, keep in mind USB and Firewire ports that you may need, and pay attention to the front audio hookup method since it can vary from case to case. For example, my old X-Dreamer case had front audio cables that ran from the front panel, through a hole in the back, and then plugged into the back of the sound card (LAME!). Your motherboard supports High Definition audio so look for a case that has HD audio hookups.

For reference, I also have a P5B-Deluxe and it is perfectly matched with the Cooler Master Centurion 534: 3x 120mm fans, HD audio hookup, front Firewire and USB ports, and I like the look of it.
  10. Quote:
    Can anyone give me the makes of some mid and full size cases for this system Im attempting to build.

As someone else mentioned, set a price range. Then pick your etailer of choice, like newegg and start searching. I can point you at some of my favorites, like Lian Li for a clean simple look with great airflow (but pretty expensive) or the Armor because it has a good layout and huge capacity or the Centurion because it's a bargain, etc. But the visuals dominate many people's choices on case, so the features that mean alot to me could be trumped by you when you see a look you like. I look for these things in a case:

1) Build quality. (not easy to see online, maybe go to some shops)
    2) Air flow - I like to see space for a couple of 12cm fans and a blowhole
    3) Easy access (doors, bays, etc.)

My last two case purchases were the Lian Li 60B Plus II and a Lian Li PC61. They are excellent cases, both have removable mobo trays and exterior access for PS removal. I also bought an Armor and an Armor Jr this year. Both excellent cases. But they aren't the kinds of cases that would be the catch people's eye at a Lanparty and that's fine for my needs. YMMV. Good luck and post what you get.
  11. Quote:
    Antec P180 is good.

I SECOND the vote for the P180 Performance case.....here's why
    - great airflow
    - ability to house up to at least 8 hdd's
    - PSU is at bottom in a separate chamber for quiet operation
    - comes with 2 - 120 cm tri-cool fans, and option to add 2 more
    - 120 cm at top of case just above the CPU for heat dissipation
    - comes in all black or silver black combo
    - hdd's have silicone grommets for installation. great for noise reduciton
    - easy install rack drawers for cd or dvd roms
    - lots of room to mod or change out hardware
    - front panel haedset, mic, USB, and firewire plug-ins
    - silicone underpads for the case if placed on a hard surface, it won't scratch, and will keep noise to minimum
    - the silver-black combo case (the one I got) doesn't even look like a case, it looks like a vault or something :)

That's about all I can think of for this one. I'm glad I bought one. Hope this helps on your case choice bro :wink:

Antec P180 Performance Case
    SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
    Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
    RealTek 97 Onboard
    ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
    2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
    2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
    WD RAPTOR 74.3 G HDD / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
    Maxtor SATA II 250 G /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
    Maxtor SATA II 250 G /backup (unplugged)
    Sony CDrom 52X
    Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
    Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
    Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w
  12. Quote:
    Antec P180 is good.

- great airflow
    - silicone underpads for the case if placed on a hard surface, it won't scratch, and will keep noise to minimum
    - the silver-black combo case (the one I got) doesn't even look like a case, it looks like a vault or something :)

That's about all I can think of for this one. I'm glad I bought one. Hope this helps on your case choice bro :wink:

SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
    RealTek 97 Onboard
    Sony CDrom 52X
    Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom

totally agree
    however should you buy an antec p180 see if your PSU wires are long enough because there are some PSU's that aren't compatible with this case because of the seperate PSU chamber
    f.e. HIPER modular PSU's aren't compatible with it

EDIT: also depends of the location of the power-in of the mobo
  13. Quote:

It also keeps the PS heat and HDD heat (should you mount your drives in the lower chamber) out of the Mobo chamber.

Quote:

totally agree
    however should you buy an antec p180 see if your PSU wires are long enough because there are some PSU's that aren't compatible with this case because of the seperate PSU chamber

I purchased an Antec PS, and I had no problems. YMMV of course, but if you come up short, extensions are usually cheap.

Cable routing was a bit of a chore for the P180, but I am pleased with end result.
  14. Quote:
    Antec P180 is good.

- great airflow

SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
    RealTek 97 Onboard
    Sony CDrom 52X
    Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom

totally agree

Yes unless you get an ENermax PSU (has long wires for modding) you will definitely have to do some mods for wires...but.....that's what building your rig is all about right fellas :wink: .....I mean how much fun would it be if you just plugged in your hardware and turned it on? I had to mod my wires that took about 5-7 hours but it was worth it.
  15. I use a Lian-Li PC-G70B. Performance-PCS.com has the windowed version. I love it. It has more than enough room to mess around with, hard drive cage, room for 2 PSU's, all aluminum, and comes with 120mm fans.

My previous case was the Cooler Master Stacker. It was a monster but the drives fit a little to tight and I had to force a lot of things in such as the hard drive cage. That was a b*tch to put it. However, it too has room for 2 PSU's, 11 drive slots in front, and casters. In addition, it's sturdy as all hell.

Just my 2 cents.
  16. Thanks to each and everyone of you that replied. I learned more in 15 minutes of reading and re-reading these replies then I have in the last 2 months of web searching. I will let you all know what Ive came up with. Price, well Im like anybody else. I want great stuff for a cheap price!! Again thanks a million for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience. :P
  17. anytime Cheese,
    Glad we could help. :wink:
  18. lian li

if you can afford it....
  19. Only TT Armor

I love this case!
  20. STACKER
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Build Components Product