A "bandaid" video card

hughski

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I have an AMD Athalon 1.8 2200 and 1 gig of memory and want to change my video card from an ATI 9200 to possibly this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102055

What do you think? Too much card for the mobo/memory specs I have?

I'm going to have some down time soon (surgery) and want to get a new card to play BF2 while I get better (good excuse, huh? :D ).

I wanted to keep the expense under $100, too.

Thanks a bunch.

pauldh

Illustrious

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
X800GTO is good, 9800 Pro would be even better (better meaning, matched to the system as cost-effective) if you can find it significantly cheaper. Getting one that works for $50 on ebay would be the best alternative if you can, but remember that any of these are a significant increase in power consumption, better PSU and/or case cooling might be warranted.

There really isn't much point paying > $100 for a card, an Athlon 1.8GHz, even memory throughput is going to be bottlenecking at this point unless you only play games at particularly high resolution & eyecandy.

hughski

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Thanks for all the info.

Are open-box buys worthy of buying or should one be wary of them?

Any particular Ebay stores that are more trusted than others?

You're reading my mind, I. I just need, as I put it "a bandaid", to get me through until next year sometime (I keep saying this :lol: ) and build a new tower.

Again, thank you.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
It's a gamble either way. The open box at Newegg is a good deal. You've got a 15-day return policy with Newegg, which is more than I can say for eBay but I wouldn't count them out.

I'd try the open box first but put it in immediately and either do some heavy gaming with it, run 3DMark05 a few times in different resolutions to make sure the card is solid. Make sure to download the ATI uninstall tool and remove your old ATI drivers before you put the new card in.

In this order:

Download latest ATI Catalyst drivers
Download the ATI uninstall tool
Uninstall the old Catalyst drivers with the tool
Shut down and remove the 9200 and put in the X800GTO
Power up and install the new ATI drivers
Stress the card through gaming or 3DMark

If you run into any issues while gaming or stressing the card, I'd return it immediately and pursue the eBay option.

hughski

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I just took a look at my power supply and...its a 300w unit :x . All the ones listed above require a 350w+ barring the 9800 Pro.

Looks like I'm limited unless I spend more than I'd like and replace other parts. Will search some more.