Graphics "Errors"...DirectX 9 Culpable???

Last response: in Video Games
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 12:21:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hi, All:

Well, it turned out that what I had to do was run "3D Device Setup"
for "Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit" to get the graphics I always
knew my ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 could pump out. Turns out that the
game itself didn't just automatically detect hardware settings -- I
had to run its "3D Device Setup" (a separate application) in order to
tell it myself to use the ATI card/chipset!

Thing is, issues remain: the graphics have slight "errors" -- I don't
know how else to put them -- where you see, like, "artifacts"...like a
pencil drawing which still contains "trace lines"...particularly with
regards to trees, I see a bit of the "wire-frame box" that evidently
sets forth their dimensions....

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The other issue is that 98 mph does ***NOT*** look like 98 mph --
hell, 180 mph looks more like ~60 mph!!!!

Everyone else getting that??

I'm only wondering if DirectX 9 might be somehow a factor...I have
version "b" on the laptop with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 wiht 64MB,
but version "c" on the older laptop with the ATI Mobility Radeon 64MB
(no ATI MR xxxx, just ATI "MR")...?? I mean, Codemaster's old
"Operation: Flashpoint" doesn't run on the new laptop with the 9700,
and ValuSoft's old "Hard Truck 2" doesn't run on the old laptop with
the "plain" ATI MR now that it has version "c" of DirectX, though it
had been fine previously under DirectX 8....

WTF?!?!??!

TIA!!!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 3:26:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

The video cards you have are not DX9 capable. They are older cards.

--
DaveW

"Left Hand of Empire" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, All:
>
> Well, it turned out that what I had to do was run "3D Device Setup"
> for "Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit" to get the graphics I always
> knew my ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 could pump out. Turns out that the
> game itself didn't just automatically detect hardware settings -- I
> had to run its "3D Device Setup" (a separate application) in order to
> tell it myself to use the ATI card/chipset!
>
> Thing is, issues remain: the graphics have slight "errors" -- I don't
> know how else to put them -- where you see, like, "artifacts"...like a
> pencil drawing which still contains "trace lines"...particularly with
> regards to trees, I see a bit of the "wire-frame box" that evidently
> sets forth their dimensions....
>
> Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>
> The other issue is that 98 mph does ***NOT*** look like 98 mph --
> hell, 180 mph looks more like ~60 mph!!!!
>
> Everyone else getting that??
>
> I'm only wondering if DirectX 9 might be somehow a factor...I have
> version "b" on the laptop with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 wiht 64MB,
> but version "c" on the older laptop with the ATI Mobility Radeon 64MB
> (no ATI MR xxxx, just ATI "MR")...?? I mean, Codemaster's old
> "Operation: Flashpoint" doesn't run on the new laptop with the 9700,
> and ValuSoft's old "Hard Truck 2" doesn't run on the old laptop with
> the "plain" ATI MR now that it has version "c" of DirectX, though it
> had been fine previously under DirectX 8....
>
> WTF?!?!??!
>

> TIA!!!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 10:38:21 AM

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message news:<Ye9Xc.46403$9d6.19508@attbi_s54>...
> The video cards you have are not DX9 capable. They are older cards.
>
> --
> DaveW

Yes, they're older cards, which to my mind only means that they won't
do any DX9 features -- but they shouldn't "mess up" on older titles
which only call for, what, DX8 or 7, right??

Again, 1) I'm getting faint "pencil traces" of the dimensions of the
"wire frame boxes" for the trees and 2) though the animation is smooth
180mph only feels like, what, ~60 mph in real life!
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 10:40:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hey, cool links, thanks!

But what about the graphics problems??

I guess I'll just uninstall DX9!

"Dr. Richard Cranium" <dracman@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:<412d47ef$0$14475$a8266bb1@news.titannews.com>...
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#raider
>
> add your card to NFS 3 or 4
>
> -=-=-=-=-
>
> ** No Fate **
>
> cheers,
> Far Niente dracman
> Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
>
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
> http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm
>
> save game editors:
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm
>

> http://www.smokeypoint.com/airplane.htm
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/sofie.htm
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/SherryJames.htm
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/banshee.htm
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm
>
> ** No Pili'kia **

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 10:44:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Dr. Richard Cranium" <dracman@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:<412d47ef$0$14475$a8266bb1@news.titannews.com>...
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#raider
>
> add your card to NFS 3 or 4

Um...what happened to the General Lee car from the Dukes of Hazzard?
The front page loads, but links are broken...?!?!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 10:09:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hey, cool, pardner! THX!!!

"Dr. Richard Cranium" <dracman@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:<412eb44e$0$14424$a8266bb1@news.titannews.com>...
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/kersten/Content/DOH/
>
> guess the dixie.zip is not there. drat. i have it. I'll ask the site
> owner of three little fonzies if i can put it up on my web site.
>
> ** no fate **
>
> dracman
>
> -=-
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2004 11:03:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed,comp.sys.laptops,comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message news:<Ye9Xc.46403$9d6.19508@attbi_s54>...
> The video cards you have are not DX9 capable. They are older cards.
>
> --
> DaveW

BTW, the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 is listed as being "DX9 compliant."
Even if that doesn't mean "capable," it does suggest "compatible"....
!