Start up

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have just upgraded my Bt broadband software. But it has left a Diagnostics
program that is no longer needed or works but it still loads up when windows
starts. Its not in start menu start up. There are no options in the program
itself. I tried to uninstall it but its not listed in the add/remove
programs list. I can remember there was a utility when I was using windows
98 in system information. But I cant find it in XP. Please can someone help
me find where I can go through start up and disable the program loading.

SP2 installed

Thanks in advance

Matt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

msconfig in the Run dialog box is what I think you are looking for.

--
James M. Fisher
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Matthew Collins" <Matt22coll-news@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just upgraded my Bt broadband software. But it has left a
>Diagnostics program that is no longer needed or works but it still loads up
>when windows starts. Its not in start menu start up. There are no options
>in the program itself. I tried to uninstall it but its not listed in the
>add/remove programs list. I can remember there was a utility when I was
>using windows 98 in system information. But I cant find it in XP. Please
>can someone help me find where I can go through start up and disable the
>program loading.
>
> SP2 installed
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Matt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Just found the answer in a previous post

You need to be sure of exactly what it is you want to do. Do you want to
limit the startup of services, programs, or processes? You did state
"programs" so this is done by going>start\run and type in msconfig and click
ok. Now click the startup tab and uncheck any programs that you do not want
starting at boot. For services configuration take a look at
www.blkviper.com.
As far as processes goes I don't think you should be playing around in there
until you know more about your system. You should make sure that any
installed programs do not have their "auto" start features enabled.
Unfortunately many program designers want their programs starting when
windows starts and so set this as a default setting. You have to go into the
configuration interface and uncheck any 'autoplay' or 'autostart' or 'start
when windows starts' as well as any and all auto updates. Post back if you
need more.