maybe old question

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I would like to have my own website and do not want to have hosting service as I want to have complete control over my website (hardware and software). I use IIS as server and always have dynamic IP as I live in LAN network (at home or school).

The problem is that whener I type the machine own IP in to web brower, i asks me for username and password. What username and password should I provide.

I have tried to use the username and password that give me access to the network ( at the school, it is my windows account, at home, it is the the account that the LAN servcie provider give me to access the Internet for the first time) . But they all fail.

People has run server at home but no matter if they use static or dynamic IP, as they have to use some Internet connection ( ADSL for example..), I think they have to log on the network, using some kind of username and password anyway. So why are they able to run website server from home.

Thanks.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Are you on the same network (iprange/subnet) as the server when you try to connect via the servers IP?
Are you using the default wwwroot folder for the website? If not, does the folder you set to be the website root have the apropriate rights to allow anonymous access?
The website root folder normally will have the "internet guest account" and "launch IIS process account" added with deny write checked.

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I tested in the same machine. Just activate IIS so it should be default wwwroot folder.And I suspect that it is the problem with the ISP set up of their network