Sign in with
Your question

On board sound decided to stop working

Last response: in Components
September 23, 2006 12:04:12 PM

Well you all have seen this problem a thousand times and I've read every forum there is and tried everything I can but still nothing, I could really use some help cause I've nearly lost the will to live.

Last week I turned my pc on but didnt get any sound, :cry:  I looked at all my settings and everything says I should be getting sound. I've tested my speakers on another pc but they work fine. My BIOS settings are all ok and I've updated every driver I could think of. I have a AC 97 Audio Codec if that helps. I'm really at a loss at why it just stoped working. I dont really know that much about this so any help you guys could give me would be great. Thanks
October 1, 2006 8:49:57 PM

Did you check if you sound card is correctly detected ? If yes, it may only be a problem with the 1/8" Jack you insert for listening on the back of your computer. Check if you can plug a front panel :!: for your audio connector, so that you plug it in front with a wire that go on your motherboard, there is usually a place for front panel audio.

However, If your card is not listed in the PNP device at startup screen just after the bios load (presuming you dont have a fullscreen bootlogo, you should see "Multimedia audio controller" when you boot) then the card stopped fonctionning completly and it's looking bad :( 
October 5, 2006 3:42:58 AM

I have the exact same problem going on right now. It's pissing me off to no end.
Related resources
October 5, 2006 4:28:53 AM

AS dumb as this sounds, (no pun intended), I have had simmilar problems in the past on Windows XP. The way I was able to finly get things working is go download the network install version of SP2.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

Then install it and reboot. For Some reason, this has cleared up many random problems I have had in the past.

Hope this helps out!
October 5, 2006 5:08:41 PM

That did it for me. That was stupid.
October 5, 2006 5:22:02 PM

Like I said, "As Stupid as this sounds..." :-)

Glad it helped you out!
December 27, 2007 3:12:48 AM

Thanks for the link!!

Have had that exact same problem with my new build for a week now, but after installed SP2 from that link and reinstalled the audio driver which came with the motherboard (I'm using on board sound) finally got the sound going.
!