Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 RAM Problem

patrickcyr

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Hi,

I bought this motherboard 3 weeks ago (Gigabyte GA-965P-S3) and found out that I needed to update the bios because my OCZ memory sticks were not compatible with the current BIOS on board. Since then, I looked around for DDR2 memory sticks but couldn't find any... So I was just wondering if there's a way to update the bios (or boot on the motherboard) without any RAM on it...

Thanks

patrickcyr

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Mmmm... You see, my problem is that I live in a small town... the only computer components store we have is WAL-MART.. haha!... So I order my components on the internet... That's what I thought first.. to order a memory stick by internet and then to return it after but it's always complicated returning some things from internet retailers... So whatever... I'll try to call the local technician to see if I coud borrow a DDR2 stick from him...

patrickcyr

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Before buying every single component of my computer, I check reviews, prices and compare. Concerning my RAM, I found out that OCZ was suitable for me. I can tell you I saw a big difference over my DDR2 Corsair...

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I didn't have any bootup problems with my sticks of OCZ and the DS3 and i am very happy with their customer support (rebate).

I love my OCZ PSU and the USB key i got from them.

Just my 2cents.

Blown_65

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Opinions are what make brands popular... aside from quality... I've only ever used Corsair or Geil with not one problem whatsoever. I've ready many reviews of OCZ and seems like they are very incompatible in these newer boards, especially the 965 chipset. (Unless you have a cheap stick to boot and flash bios, then stick in the OCZ) Anyways... my 2 cents... I have the exact same board coupled with an E6300 oc'd to 2.8ghz with Geil DDR2-800 @ 400mhz @ 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v and it's blazing fast!! I was worried about having to put in a cheap stick of ddr2 (which I was going to borrow out of a dell pc at work) to get the volts up for my Geil, but it booted the first time @ 1.8v! (of course as 667) So what cpu are you using? Have you got the system up and running? Benchmarks? Temps? Good luck!

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I used to run 2gb of Corsair XMS memory in my rig and always had stability problems off and on. I eventually sprung for some OCZ platinum I'd seen on sale and haven't had any problems since. Have a little bit better OC ability and its rock solid stable for about a year now.

I could easily have went with more corsair as I know its a good brand but I happened to be the lucky one with a couple crazy sticks so rather than risk I tried out the OCZ. I'm very pleased with them. This is no indication however that the new boards aren't giving OCZ a lil trouble lately tho and its made me hesitant to go with them for my C2D/quadro build.

As I wait for more mobos to hit I'm keeping a close eye on OCZ and see if they get the problems solved. Probably make my Ram decision last of all. Peace.

patrickcyr

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
thanks guys!...

Blown_65, I bought the new Gigabyte 965P-S3 a month ago but because of the compatibility problem, it's still not working... since then, I've looked around for DDR2 sticks but found none... My processor is currently the Pentium D 805 but as I told you, I'm still running on my old mobo. I bought the boxed e6300 on the internet this morning for 150$ brand new =)... I was pretty lucky! So I wish I'm gonna be able to flash my bios before the new e6300 arrives.