YES! Core2Duo + AGP!

ElPolloDiablo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I have a 6800GS AGP video card I like and now I can combine it with Core2Duo.

If anyone is interested in keeping agp until the next gen video cards come out that is.

Asus P5PE-VM
$65 on TigerDirect.com

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Hahah excellent review. A card running in 4x mode (slower than agp 4x) keeps up with one running in 16x. Maybe the people who swear blindly that you have to have pci-e to play games will think differently now.

The best feature is the fact it has 4 PCI slots. I do wonder when i look at new mobos with lots of pci-e slots what i am meant to put in them. Only mainstrream pci-e based cards are graphics cards.

I might just buy one of these, It's a common sense board, with needed features. Upgrade i have been looking for, and will save me 400quid.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
the PCI express slot only runs at x4 speeds. does this make a real-world difference?

Not really. If you are buying this board you most likely have an AGP card anyway and want a cheap core2duo upgrade. The difference is most likely due to the board quality rather than the speed of the PCI-E slot.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
And then have your Direct X10 card limited on PCIe 4x?

People buying this board want a cheap upgrade for their current hardware. Look at the cost's then see why what you are saying is irrelevent to people who will buy this board.

If you buy a "better" board you'll have to buy a PCI-E gfx card now which is another cost, DDR2 Memory another cost. Then when DX10 cards come out those will both be obsolete which means more cost. Buying for something that doesn't even exist is the biggest mistake you can make when building a computer (unless the release is imminent). With vista not even released officially yet DX10 is non existant

If you care so much about DX10 (which is over hyped) you wouldn't be buying this board.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
The point of this mobo that you keep your gfx, ram oh and PSU!!! I will never pay 250$ for a m/b. Not all of us can pay 1500$ cash to get a newer system.
and another thing is that ddr2 ram exists and is overhyped, only ddr2@800mhz makes a noticeable difference which is like 7-8%? Next gen gfx cards are just round the corner. At around xmas time DX10 will exist, in the case that is really bs and doesn't make that much difference from dx9 it will make my choice to buy this mobo ever more justified. I'll just wait and see.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
As far as I can remember, the 8X bandwidth in the AGP was never close to being saturated.

Correct. This i what annoys me about new motherboards. I appreciate things have to move on but some AGP support from manufacturers wouldn't go a miss. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer, and computers revolve around things other than graphics cards :roll:

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Correct.

Unfortunately, most of the people on this forum are gamers, and they feel the need to put in their opinions, even though they are impertinent to the discussion.

I think that PCIe was just an evolutionary step, not revolutionary. GPU companies wanted to sell more cards, so along came a new technology on the PCI bus that let you put more parts on the same bus. Brilliant! Can't do that with AGP, so PCIe is instantly better.

Makes me wonder why SATA was invented...we still can't saturate an IDE bus...so why do we need something faster? Oh, right, to sell more stuff to people who don't know any better. Like me...my 3 drives are SATA. :roll:

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
If you're not a gamer, why do you care about AGP/PCIe? Surely onboard video will do just fine.

Another main advantage of PCIe (above the bandwidth) is it holds extra power. Mosts cards today are PCIe + an extra connector, you might need 2 or 3 connectors to run the same card on AGP.

And.. you don't see any advantage in SATA? Do you know what "airflow" is? Get a server case with 8 drives and test the heat with IDE and SATA drives.

As for the AsRock motherboard, I quote "Pairing the motherboard with a top end GPU results in performance that can be up to 10% slower in certain applications than competing motherboards." Just remember that they obviously mean today's high-end. If it's 10% today, what will it be in a years time? Two? Three? I wouldn't base buying a new system around the hope that somehow bandwidth requirements stay semi-stable.

Synergy6

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Correct.

Unfortunately, most of the people on this forum are gamers, and they feel the need to put in their opinions, even though they are impertinent to the discussion.

I think that PCIe was just an evolutionary step, not revolutionary. GPU companies wanted to sell more cards, so along came a new technology on the PCI bus that let you put more parts on the same bus. Brilliant! Can't do that with AGP, so PCIe is instantly better.

Makes me wonder why SATA was invented...we still can't saturate an IDE bus...so why do we need something faster? Oh, right, to sell more stuff to people who don't know any better. Like me...my 3 drives are SATA. :roll:

Agreed. 1 IDE slot on new boards...So how do i plug in a HDD, DVD and CD-Writer? Are there SATA DVD Writers? I haven't seen one. Why would i want one? My current drive is fine. On the plus I like SATA because it's more compact, but 6-8 connectors on new mobo's. Who really has that many drives. I know you'll get the people who do, but they are the minority. 2/3 years time fair enough phase IDE out, but it seems nothing accomodates for people with "older" hardware anymore.

Also the new boards have far too many PCI-E slots. Where am i going to put my 4 PCI cards? Some of the new Asus ones have 2 PCI Slots!!! Although they "redeem" theirselves with plenty of onboard features the majority of users never use, and i doubt even the enthusiasts use.

raytracer06

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
This cute little Asrock mobo is exactly what I was waiting for. I seriously consider a CPU upgrade, but for me, it also meant changing RAM, Gfx, and even PSU. a mobo like this one could allow me to keep my DDR and my AGP card for a while, then change the DDR for DDR2, then buy a DX10 PCI-E graphics card, and finally replace the mobo with something with more features...

a soft upgrade, at a soft price : 52€ (= $66.56)

and performance seems to be there too...

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
As for the AsRock motherboard, I quote "Pairing the motherboard with a top end GPU results in performance that can be up to 10% slower in certain applications than competing motherboards." Just remember that they obviously mean today's high-end. If it's 10% today, what will it be in a years time? Two? Three? I wouldn't base buying a new system around the hope that somehow bandwidth requirements stay semi-stable.

Synergy6
The general idea behind the Asrock boards are to allow people to get started on an upgrade path to C2D without getting everything all at once. They allow you to keep your existing RAM and graphics card and enable one to buy when they can. Their performance isn't high-end, more along the lines of low-end mainstream. Most people who purchase this board will do it for convenience and price and with the notion that they will replace it with a better board in the future when they can. People who buy top-end graphics cards do not usually fit this style of thinking and do not usually buy motherboards like this.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
People who buy top-end graphics cards do not usually fit this style of thinking and do not usually buy motherboards like this.

1) I said "I wouldn't", I was giving *my* opinion.
2) If he's not worried about any top end cards, then DX10 shouldn't be on his radar for quite a while.
Synergy6

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
The general idea behind the Asrock boards are to allow people to get started on an upgrade path to C2D without getting everything all at once. They allow you to keep your existing RAM and graphics card and enable one to buy when they can.

But mostly, a mobo that costs fifty bucks won't cause any tears when you upgrade and throw it away.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
The general idea behind the Asrock boards are to allow people to get started on an upgrade path to C2D without getting everything all at once. They allow you to keep your existing RAM and graphics card and enable one to buy when they can.

But mostly, a mobo that costs fifty bucks won't cause any tears when you upgrade and throw it away.

lol! I bet you could still sell it for 20 bucks!!