BBA X850XTpe AGP $175 @ Newegg

pauldh

Illustrious
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102502

Great card for Ludites and Fanatics; a chance to own ATI's rare top of the line AGP card for just $175. That's reference 7800GS performance for alot less money, and considering the slightly slower SM3.0 7600GT AGP is out of stock most of the time, I bet these will go quickly. I wish I had a buyer for my X800XTpe (1 step down) as I'd rather hang onto the top dog in my collection.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

Great card for Ludites and Fanatics; a chance to own ATI's rare top of the line AGP card for just $175. That's reference 7800GS performance for alot less money, and considering the slightly slower SM3.0 7600GT AGP is out of stock most of the time, I bet these will go quickly. I wish I had a buyer for my X800XTpe (1 step down) as I'd rather hang onto the top dog in my collection.

If i decide to remodel my dell, ill probably get that bargain. :D

pauldh

Illustrious
If it sticks around for a while, it deserves to be on the list. But it would be nice to see another site or even one serving another country to also carry the card at a decent price. I'm just shocked as this thing has been rare and more than twice that price if you could find one.

Honestly I am a funny sort as this is one of those deals I want despite not needing the card at all. I'm a sucker for the former champs like the 9700 pro, 9800XT and X850Tpe. Nice cards to have on hand for comparison sake. It bugs me I'm not buying one nor know anbody who currently is in the market for one. :roll:

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
If it sticks around for a while, it deserves to be on the list. But it would be nice to see another site or even one serving another country to also carry the card at a decent price. I'm just shocked as this thing has been rare and more than twice that price if you could find one.

Honestly I am a funny sort as this is one of those deals I want despite not needing the card at all. I'm a sucker for the former champs like the 9700 pro, 9800XT and X850Tpe. Nice cards to have on hand for comparison sake. It bugs me I'm not buying one nor know anbody who currently is in the market for one. :roll:

Well you could buy it, and keep it in a glass case and admire it on your wall :D

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Scary thing is, if I was loaded I probably would. :oops:

The case would need to be easy to open for when I was bored and in need of doing some comparison benchmarking. :wink:

Lol. Sounds like someone needs a job, but I'm pretty sure you have one.

pauldh

Illustrious
LOL, yes I have a job and even a life, wife, and kids. :wink: But it's just an addicting hobby I enjoy and I have to balance it with other higher priorities like my family and bills/expenses. :D

One things for sure, If I didn't need the job/money. I'd like to tinker around doing benchmarks/reviews on my own hardware site. :roll: Pretty sure I'd never want to do it full time or for a living with pressures/deadlines and all, but I could enjoy and have enjoyed wasting alot of time testing/evaluating/and comparing hardware, especially video cards. It would be fun to dive into comparisons the big sites can't afford to spend time doing, like CPU scaling with a wide range of cards/games. Or just doing a large GPU review, but doing all the tests on 3-4 various levels of systems. It makes sense to do GPU reviews with a top CPU and visa-versa, but it doesn't always give a good picture of how these gpu's would perform in the various systems readers have, or even what is the best upgrade route to go. Anyway, if there are tests/results I would like to see but can't find, that's when I get the itch to dig into it myself.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
The old cards make me smile. The cards that today cost you 600 bucks give you hundreds of times more raw power than the 600 dollar cards 4 years ago. People keep telling me to upgrade and get rid of the x850xt pe, but hey! i'd rather have a card that was a king 2 years ago than a card thats only so-so today.

Heres to the ancient, obsolete machines and components!
-cm

vince1523

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I’m in the market for a new AGP card to replace my 9800pro. What’s the difference between the X850XT and the PE?

Should I just go ahead and get the X850XT since the PE is out of stock?

I was also looking at the X800GTO... not sure which is the best for the money.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
LOL, yes I have a job and even a life, wife, and kids. :wink: But it's just an addicting hobby I enjoy and I have to balance it with other higher priorities like my family and bills/expenses. :D

One things for sure, If I didn't need the job/money. I'd like to tinker around doing benchmarks/reviews on my own hardware site. :roll: Pretty sure I'd never want to do it full time or for a living with pressures/deadlines and all, but I could enjoy and have enjoyed wasting alot of time testing/evaluating/and comparing hardware, especially video cards. It would be fun to dive into comparisons the big sites can't afford to spend time doing, like CPU scaling with a wide range of cards/games. Or just doing a large GPU review, but doing all the tests on 3-4 various levels of systems. It makes sense to do GPU reviews with a top CPU and visa-versa, but it doesn't always give a good picture of how these gpu's would perform in the various systems readers have, or even what is the best upgrade route to go. Anyway, if there are tests/results I would like to see but can't find, that's when I get the itch to dig into it myself.

Are you selling your life anytime soon? Cuz i wouldnt mind buying it :D

vince1523

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I’m in the market for a new AGP card to replace my 9800pro. What’s the difference between the X850XT and the PE?

Should I just go ahead and get the X850XT since the PE is out of stock?

I was also looking at the X800GTO... not sure which is the best for the money.

Anyone?

pauldh

Illustrious
The XTPE (platinum edition) is just clocked a bit higher. 20MHz on the core, and 50MHz (100MHz effective) memory. If you were to overclock a plain XT to XTPE speeds, they would perform the same. I don't expect the platinum edition to be back in stock anytime soon.

Read up here:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2290&p=2

It shows the performance diffence between XT and XTPE to be 1-5%.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2290&p=5

These are old drivers. ATI to ATI should compare well, but not ATI to NV. Example, ATI has made huge gains in Doom 3 and Farcry, while NV made huge gains in HL2.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
celewign wrote:
The cards that today cost you 600 bucks give you hundreds of times more raw power than the 600 dollar cards 4 years ago.

That's not at all accurate.

Well yeah, I made that figure up. But the statement is sortov accurate. Evilr00t has an ati rage II that used to be worth something, but now its a piece of crap, although venerable in its own right.
-cm

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
sounds like a great deal if only they shipped to bulgaria :( ... well i guess when i come backt to the states i will be making a wish list :)

Vinny73

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I have this card, well actually X800 XT PE AGP. Its the same spec, 520mhz core, 1120mhz mem, 16 pipelines.

Its a good card.

HOWEVER.....

I was thinking of ebaying it and going for the Gainward Bliss GS7800+, the 7900 in AGP form.
450mhz core easily clockable to 500+ 1250mhz mem easily clockable to 1400mhz with 24 pipelines.

But wondering whether it will make much difference at all over the Radeon?

P.S if anyone is interested in my X800 XT PE, i'll sell it to UK buyers delivered for £99. Its got 5mths warranty left I only bought 7mths ago, its boxed as new.

pauldh

Illustrious
The 24-pipe Gainward is a beast but only worth it if you have a beast of a system to put it in. (Decent clocked A64) I'm thinking rather than pay the premium for the Gainward, it's probably time to switch to PCI-e. What does the Gainward Bliss cost over there compared to a X1900XT or 7950GT?

Vinny73

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I hear you on the time to go PCI-E, BUUUUUUUT....... my PC is decent spec :

MSI K8N Neo2
A64 X2 4400+
X800 XP PE
2gb Dual Channel
SB Audigy 2
160gb SATAII 8mb 7200rpm

I can buy the 7800GS for £240 delivered. I can get circa £100 for current card on the bay.
The 1900XTX is £260 delivered but will need a new mobo and the time to fit. Mobo circa £80 so £340 in total.

NOW..... when the DX10 cards come out, Im gonna want one, so for the sake of £140 right now (given the sale of my current card) its an easier pill to swallow than £240 and having to go DX10 card in 6 mths.

So Im gonna order up the GS 7800 + if its gonna show me better performance than the current card, thats noticeable. The VGA charts suggest so, and thats at stock speeds.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
EDIT: Ah, never mind. Jist found a review on Firingsquad

Looks like X850 XT PE is better in some games and worse or equal to GF6800U in others. Thanks for the heads up though.

Paul, you're da man. But X850XT PE and X850XT were both gone when I checked. I wonder. Did they have like one of each? Hmmmm.

By the way, I checked AGP VGA Charts but neither of these cards are present. Do you know where I can check how they compare to GF6800 Ultra? I have a feeling that they could be up to 20% faster. If that's so, I guess I would like one while I wait for next gen cards. I am rather happy with my 6800U's performance in all games I own but would not mind a slight improvement in Oblivion. Regardless, a sub $200 card that's 20% faster than the 6800U would do me nicely for 6-7 months.

Many thanks in advance.