AMD dual core or intel dual core?

Hey guys!

I'm on a very limited budget for a new CPU. Should I go for an Intel 930 Dual Core 2.8Ghz 65nm 800Mhz FSB or an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ AM2? They both cost the same here in the Philippines (Php 7350 or about US$140)

Thanks!
42 answers Last reply
More about dual core intel dual core
  1. From what I've seen, the smaller cache on the X2 3600+ doesn't hurt performance; I'd go for the X2 3600+.
  2. Limited budget? Don't touch the Pentiums (try to save up for the Core 2 instead), go for the A64 X2.
  3. Quote:
    Hey guys!

    I'm on a very limited budget for a new CPU. Should I go for an Intel 930 Dual Core 2.8Ghz 65nm 800Mhz FSB or an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ AM2? They both cost the same here in the Philippines (Php 7350 or about US$140)

    Thanks!


    Are you upgrading or building new?

    If new, then the 3600+ AM2, would be a better deal than the 930 PD CPU, except for memory, which the AM2 supposedly needs tighter CAS settings to run at it's full potential.

    Another route is to go to a 939 socket setup, which is affordable as well, and should be at the same price range. The AM2 will offer a better upgrade path, though.

    If you could add a little more to your budget, then an E6300 C2D would be a good new build. Using the ASRock 775-VSTA, allows you to use both DDR and AGP from an older CPU. ASRock also makes a 939 board, I believe that is also dual memory/video configuration, but I cannot remember the model name.

    Either way, if the CPU budget is only $140, then I would get the 3600+ over a PD, only because they are more efficient CPUs at that price range.
  4. Hello

    go with c2d 6300.

    bye.


    Quote:
    Hey guys!

    I'm on a very limited budget for a new CPU. Should I go for an Intel 930 Dual Core 2.8Ghz 65nm 800Mhz FSB or an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ AM2? They both cost the same here in the Philippines (Php 7350 or about US$140)

    Thanks!
  5. Ugh why do people recommend the C2D 6300 which is about $30 or $40 USD more than the person's price range? Especially without taking into account mobo choices, etc? The X2 3600+ or 3800+ is a great (easily arguably the best) choice for the price range.
  6. Quote:
    Ugh why do people recommend the C2D 6300 which is about $30 or $40 USD more than the person's price range? Especially without taking into account mobo choices, etc? The X2 3600+ or 3800+ is a great (easily arguably the best) choice for the price range.

    Because it's worth.
  7. Quote:
    Ugh why do people recommend the C2D 6300 which is about $30 or $40 USD more than the person's price range? Especially without taking into account mobo choices, etc? The X2 3600+ or 3800+ is a great (easily arguably the best) choice for the price range.


    Well, if you take into consideration, the price of motherboard, memory, and video for a new build, the $30-40 extra for the performance gains over the X2 3600+ or 3800+ is worth the E6300, imo.

    Now, if a person's budget is strictly limited to a set price, then a more precise setup could be created. Unfortunately, all we know is the price for a CPU, and nothing else. So, $30-40 more is not at all unrealistic for the gains s/he could get from upgrading to the E6300, over either 3600+ or PD 930. It's not like anyone is going to suggest the X6800 or FX-60/2 for this person.
  8. Quote:
    Hey guys!

    I'm on a very limited budget for a new CPU. Should I go for an Intel 930 Dual Core 2.8Ghz 65nm 800Mhz FSB or an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ AM2? They both cost the same here in the Philippines (Php 7350 or about US$140)

    Thanks!


    get the Pentium D 805 2.66 GHZ its $30 cheaper and can be overclocked to 3.2 GHZ with no temp change so go save some money for equal performance.
  9. Quote:
    Ugh why do people recommend the C2D 6300 which is about $30 or $40 USD more than the person's price range? Especially without taking into account mobo choices, etc? The X2 3600+ or 3800+ is a great (easily arguably the best) choice for the price range.


    Well, if you take into consideration, the price of motherboard, memory, and video for a new build, the $30-40 extra for the performance gains over the X2 3600+ or 3800+ is worth the E6300, imo.

    Now, if a person's budget is strictly limited to a set price, then a more precise setup could be created. Unfortunately, all we know is the price for a CPU, and nothing else. So, $30-40 more is not at all unrealistic for the gains s/he could get from upgrading to the E6300, over either 3600+ or PD 930. It's not like anyone is going to suggest the X6800 or FX-60/2 for this person.

    Notice the first sentence of the thread starter.

    Yes, the 805 is a good choice as well, and that leaves still more money for other hardware, or just saved money.
  10. Actually i'm building a new system, my budget is around $600-$700 max (excluding casing, psu, and monitor)

    We have very limited choices of components here, we don't even have the Asrock 775 VSTA motherboard.

    Intel 805 2.66Ghz $100
    Intel 915 2.8Ghz $140
    Intel 945 3.4Ghz $177
    Intel E6300 $200
    ECS P965T-A $85
    ECS P945P-AL $90
    INTEL D945PLRN $85
    INTEL D945GNTL $110
    INTEL DP965LTCK $125
    ASUS P5LD2-VMSE $93
    ASUS P5PL2 $96

    ATHLON 64X2 3600+ AM2 (we dont have 939, this is the only X2 available) $140
    only 2 mobos available
    ECS Nforce4M-A $66
    MSI K9N Neo-F nForce 550 $88

    Kingston 1GB 533 and 667 around $100
    300 Gig seagate SATA $111

    LG 16x GSA H20A dvd writer $45

    I have around $120 for a video card:
    7300GT 256MB ddr2 $87
    7600GS 256 mb ddr2 $103
    6600GT 128mb $118
    6800XT 128Mb $115
    FX6600 512mb $99
    7600GST 128mb $114
    ATI X1600Pro 256ddr2 $120

    How do our prices in the Philippines compare to the prices where you guys are at?

    I am giving my current system to lil bro

    ECS nForce4-A939
    1Gb 400
    6600 256mb
    Athlon 64 3200+ (939)

    Thanks guys


    Quote:
    Hey guys!

    I'm on a very limited budget for a new CPU. Should I go for an Intel 930 Dual Core 2.8Ghz 65nm 800Mhz FSB or an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ AM2? They both cost the same here in the Philippines (Php 7350 or about US$140)

    Thanks!
  11. Quote:
    Ugh why do people recommend the C2D 6300 which is about $30 or $40 USD more than the person's price range? Especially without taking into account mobo choices, etc? The X2 3600+ or 3800+ is a great (easily arguably the best) choice for the price range.


    Well, if you take into consideration, the price of motherboard, memory, and video for a new build, the $30-40 extra for the performance gains over the X2 3600+ or 3800+ is worth the E6300, imo.

    Now, if a person's budget is strictly limited to a set price, then a more precise setup could be created. Unfortunately, all we know is the price for a CPU, and nothing else. So, $30-40 more is not at all unrealistic for the gains s/he could get from upgrading to the E6300, over either 3600+ or PD 930. It's not like anyone is going to suggest the X6800 or FX-60/2 for this person.

    Notice the first sentence of the thread starter.

    Yes, the 805 is a good choice as well, and that leaves still more money for other hardware, or just saved money.

    I saw the first sentence. But you asked why would people recommend the E6300, and I gave my opinion.

    The 805 is a decent choice, but it is not something I would recommend to anyone right now. Now, that's just me. If someone wants to overclock and has a decent enough heatsink fan setup or H2O cooling, then sure, have at the 805, but with the E6300, you don't need to overclock to get the same results in performance of 9xx series.

    As for the OP's latest charts of prices:
    965 board - $125
    E6300 - $200
    RAM either is fine - $100
    HD - $111
    DVD - $45
    Your choice of video - $120
    total = $701

    About $1 more than your budget. If you look at the performance charts, the E6300 is a better CPU than any other ones listed. I mean, the E6300 is on par or better than the 4600+ at Anandtech's charts (Link). That in itself should be enough reason to pay the $100 more than the 805 or the $60 for the 3600+.

    To the OP:

    The prices are cheaper, since the E6300 is $180 @ Newegg, and the 3600+ is $99, and the 945 is $145. But motherboards are similar, and memory is constantly going up, so that's hard to say. Video cards are close as well.

    Oh, and I'm in the US, btw.
  12. Anyone in their right mind knows that the e6300 is the choice for the price range. The key word is price range.
  13. oh dear god stay the hell away from ECS, MSI, and any other crappy mobo company

    the mobo is the one thing you NEVER skimp out on :wink:

    Quote:
    Actually i'm building a new system, my budget is around $600-$700 max (excluding casing, psu, and monitor)

    We have very limited choices of components here, we don't even have the Asrock 775 VSTA motherboard.

    Intel 805 2.66Ghz $100
    Intel 915 2.8Ghz $140
    Intel 945 3.4Ghz $177
    Intel E6300 $200
    ECS P965T-A $85
    ECS P945P-AL $90
    INTEL D945PLRN $85
    INTEL D945GNTL $110
    INTEL DP965LTCK $125
    ASUS P5LD2-VMSE $93
    ASUS P5PL2 $96

    ATHLON 64X2 3600+ AM2 (we dont have 939, this is the only X2 available) $140
    only 2 mobos available
    ECS Nforce4M-A $66
    MSI K9N Neo-F nForce 550 $88

    Kingston 1GB 533 and 667 around $100
    300 Gig seagate SATA $111

    LG 16x GSA H20A dvd writer $45

    I have around $120 for a video card:
    7300GT 256MB ddr2 $87
    7600GS 256 mb ddr2 $103
    6600GT 128mb $118
    6800XT 128Mb $115
    FX6600 512mb $99
    7600GST 128mb $114
    ATI X1600Pro 256ddr2 $120

    How do our prices in the Philippines compare to the prices where you guys are at?

    I am giving my current system to lil bro

    ECS nForce4-A939
    1Gb 400
    6600 256mb
    Athlon 64 3200+ (939)

    Thanks guys


    Hey guys!

    I'm on a very limited budget for a new CPU. Should I go for an Intel 930 Dual Core 2.8Ghz 65nm 800Mhz FSB or an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ AM2? They both cost the same here in the Philippines (Php 7350 or about US$140)

    Thanks!
  14. Quote:
    Anyone in their right mind knows that the e6300 is the choice for the price range. The key word is price range.


    I agree. But the OP didn't really state a price range for the CPU, just an estimated range for the 2 choices he listed.

    Quote:
    They both cost the same here in the Philippines (Php 7350 or about US$140)


    So, off that, I assumed he meant his CPU budget was $140, which I suggested to go with the 3600+, but I added that if his price range could be increased, the E6300 is in his range, then. When the OP listed the parts and prices, the E6300 is $60 more than the 3600+, which would be a better deal, IMO.
  15. Quote:
    oh dear god stay the hell away from ECS, MSI, and any other crappy mobo company

    the mobo is the one thing you NEVER skimp out on :wink:

    Actually i'm building a new system, my budget is around $600-$700 max (excluding casing, psu, and monitor)

    We have very limited choices of components here, we don't even have the Asrock 775 VSTA motherboard.

    Intel 805 2.66Ghz $100
    Intel 915 2.8Ghz $140
    Intel 945 3.4Ghz $177
    Intel E6300 $200
    ECS P965T-A $85
    ECS P945P-AL $90
    INTEL D945PLRN $85
    INTEL D945GNTL $110
    INTEL DP965LTCK $125
    ASUS P5LD2-VMSE $93
    ASUS P5PL2 $96

    ATHLON 64X2 3600+ AM2 (we dont have 939, this is the only X2 available) $140
    only 2 mobos available
    ECS Nforce4M-A $66
    MSI K9N Neo-F nForce 550 $88

    Kingston 1GB 533 and 667 around $100
    300 Gig seagate SATA $111

    LG 16x GSA H20A dvd writer $45

    I have around $120 for a video card:
    7300GT 256MB ddr2 $87
    7600GS 256 mb ddr2 $103
    6600GT 128mb $118
    6800XT 128Mb $115
    FX6600 512mb $99
    7600GST 128mb $114
    ATI X1600Pro 256ddr2 $120

    How do our prices in the Philippines compare to the prices where you guys are at?

    I am giving my current system to lil bro

    ECS nForce4-A939
    1Gb 400
    6600 256mb
    Athlon 64 3200+ (939)

    Thanks guys


    Hey guys!

    I'm on a very limited budget for a new CPU. Should I go for an Intel 930 Dual Core 2.8Ghz 65nm 800Mhz FSB or an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ AM2? They both cost the same here in the Philippines (Php 7350 or about US$140)

    Thanks!


    i have an ECS it works awesome extremly easy to overclock and easy to understand. But why do you not like it?
  16. roflmao

    Quote:
    oh dear god stay the hell away from ECS, MSI, and any other crappy mobo company

    the mobo is the one thing you NEVER skimp out on :wink:

    Actually i'm building a new system, my budget is around $600-$700 max (excluding casing, psu, and monitor)

    We have very limited choices of components here, we don't even have the Asrock 775 VSTA motherboard.

    Intel 805 2.66Ghz $100
    Intel 915 2.8Ghz $140
    Intel 945 3.4Ghz $177
    Intel E6300 $200
    ECS P965T-A $85
    ECS P945P-AL $90
    INTEL D945PLRN $85
    INTEL D945GNTL $110
    INTEL DP965LTCK $125
    ASUS P5LD2-VMSE $93
    ASUS P5PL2 $96

    ATHLON 64X2 3600+ AM2 (we dont have 939, this is the only X2 available) $140
    only 2 mobos available
    ECS Nforce4M-A $66
    MSI K9N Neo-F nForce 550 $88

    Kingston 1GB 533 and 667 around $100
    300 Gig seagate SATA $111

    LG 16x GSA H20A dvd writer $45

    I have around $120 for a video card:
    7300GT 256MB ddr2 $87
    7600GS 256 mb ddr2 $103
    6600GT 128mb $118
    6800XT 128Mb $115
    FX6600 512mb $99
    7600GST 128mb $114
    ATI X1600Pro 256ddr2 $120

    How do our prices in the Philippines compare to the prices where you guys are at?

    I am giving my current system to lil bro

    ECS nForce4-A939
    1Gb 400
    6600 256mb
    Athlon 64 3200+ (939)

    Thanks guys


    Hey guys!

    I'm on a very limited budget for a new CPU. Should I go for an Intel 930 Dual Core 2.8Ghz 65nm 800Mhz FSB or an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ AM2? They both cost the same here in the Philippines (Php 7350 or about US$140)

    Thanks!


    i have an ECS it works awesome extremly easy to overclock and easy to understand. But why do you not like it?
  17. You really can't label a whole company like that. If that was the case, I could say C2D sucks b/c of my prescott experience!

    I have an ECS, and its awesome. For MOBOs, just do your homework, read reviews, and find some facts.

    Remember, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one, and thinks theirs doesn't stink...

    to the OP:

    I may have missed this, but what are you going to be doing with the said PC?
  18. I agree. ECS and MSI aren't necessarily bad companies. They both produce reliable products, it's just that boards from, say, Asus, are going to be better for you in general. It doesn't look like the thread starter needs a really advanced mobo, so ECS is a fine choice.

    We should also keep in mind that due to the thread starter's location, he may not be able to get shipping from larger sites that have the really big brand names. This does not include CPUs, because that's just AMD and Intel, which are available worldwide, but with motherboards which have many manufacturers and availabilty can vary greatly.

    Hell, the thread starter may not even be able to get a Core 2 Duo motherboard in the Phillipines.
  19. Quote:
    Hell, the thread starter may not even be able to get a Core 2 Duo motherboard in the Phillipines.


    Sure he can.

    INTEL DP965LTCK $125
    P965
  20. A few reasons why people dont like ECS motherboards.
    1 Support is not great.
    2 All mobo makers have had problems with caps. ECS has had the most
    3 ECS turns down more RMAs per capita, than any other board maker.
    4 ECS charges a fee for all attempted RMAs, wether they "grant" it or not.
    5 ECS motherboards have the shortest warranty of any maker. Good
    thing, because on average, they fail first.
    6 They tend to have poor bios for OCing, and they seldom upgrade.

    They used to be the largest tier one mobo maker. At one point, they produced most of Epox's boards, and other resellers who just rebadged ECS boards. They also supplied a lot of boards to Gateway, HP, Compac etc. They also make some of Intel's low end boards
    In the last year, they have been trying to work on thier image. They have yet to learn that a little support goes a long way.
    They make cheap boards, mostly. You get what you pay for.
  21. Quote:
    Hell, the thread starter may not even be able to get a Core 2 Duo motherboard in the Phillipines.


    Sure he can.

    INTEL DP965LTCK $125
    P965

    What you've shown me is a link to a sub-par C2D motherboard from Intel. What I want to see is a reseller that will ship to the thread starter's location, the Phillipines. Intel only ships directly from their website to Canada, Japan, the UK, and the USA.

    Am I missing something here?
  22. Quote:
    Hell, the thread starter may not even be able to get a Core 2 Duo motherboard in the Phillipines.


    Sure he can.

    INTEL DP965LTCK $125
    P965

    What you've shown me is a link to a sub-par C2D motherboard from Intel. What I want to see is a reseller that will ship to the thread starter's location, the Phillipines. Intel only ships directly from their website to Canada, Japan, the UK, and the USA.

    Am I missing something here?

    This motherboard was on his list of available motherboards. So, I guess you missed it on the list he made.

    As for sub-par, for who? Overclockers? The OP never said anything about overclocking, just a limited budget, and at $125, this is neither a sub-par motherboard or an overpriced one, either.
  23. The pentiums r a dead end. With AM2 you will have the opportunity to upgrade if u do decide to do that in the future. And not much performance difference. So go for AM2 X2 3600+.
  24. evilroot your a fuck , he didn't ask that, you didn't even help his question out , fucken tool. See how dude some of you cock heads are.
  25. You're no better, stop threadcrapping already. Assh0le.

  26. Quote:
    evilroot your a **** , he didn't ask that, you didn't even help his question out , ****** tool. See how dude some of you **** heads are.


    Most asterisked most of the day award. Grats.
  27. whats threadcrapping? I was just pointing out unhelpful you were.
  28. Alright alright I'll go cry in a corner ...Well i was just tring to be a hero with a keyboard....Can't i fit in with you guys.? One day i hope to be just like you.
  29. Quote:
    Alright alright I'll go cry in a corner ...Well i was just tring to be a hero with a keyboard....Can't i fit in with you guys.? One day i hope to be just like you.


    We're very exclusive.
  30. I can say that your response was that of a 6-year-old girl's. Too strong, and lacked substance. It threadcrapped because it was off topic and was flamebait.

    As for me being unhelpful, when I got back to the topic, it had been satisfactorily answered.
  31. Oh..your such a smart one. The pick of the crowd.....Some ppl just don't get it . This is my 4th time writing in the form thingy so I wanted to add my 2cents. I just wanted to point out how stupid some of you guys were, now I’m getting bullied by a superior, older gentle men…..Such as your self.
  32. Quote:
    Oh..your such a smart one. The pick of the crowd.....Some ppl just don't get it . This is my 4th time writing in the form thingy so I wanted to add my 2cents. I just wanted to point out how stupid some of you guys were, now I’m getting bullied by a superior, older gentle men…..Such as your self.
    Go to HeLL.....i mean back to HeLL. :roll:
  33. Well I would but the bast*ards locked the gate.
  34. Anyhow to be honest I would of expected some of you guys on THG to be a lot smarter then that. If you had some brains then you wouldn’t of said anything to my terrible post. “The bigger man walks away” Well that’s my day always said…well I’m bored of this already so I give up ….plus I used too much tissues when I cried in the corner and I ran out. So you guys have won.

    P.S I’m only 21 from aus and I just wanted to get a laugh out of it and I did.
    Thanks
  35. Quote:
    Anyhow to be honest I would of expected some of you guys on THG to be a lot smarter then that. If you had some brains then you wouldn’t of said anything to my terrible post. “The bigger man walks away” Well that’s my day always said…well I’m bored of this already so I give up ….plus I used too much tissues when I cried in the corner and I ran out. So you guys have won.

    P.S I’m only 21 from aus and I just wanted to get a laugh out of it and I did.
    Thanks


    I also go around to forums and attempt tp make myself look like an idiot. It also make me laugh. I am glad we can share in making ourselves look dumb. Man, I love getting a reputation online for looking like an idiot. People respect that.
  36. Quote:
    Anyhow to be honest I would of expected some of you guys on THG to be a lot smarter then that. If you had some brains then you wouldn’t of said anything to my terrible post. “The bigger man walks away” Well that’s my day always said…well I’m bored of this already so I give up ….plus I used too much tissues when I cried in the corner and I ran out. So you guys have won.

    P.S I’m only 21 from aus and I just wanted to get a laugh out of it and I did.
    Thanks


    I also go around to forums and attempt tp make myself look like an idiot. It also make me laugh. I am glad we can share in making ourselves look dumb. Man, I love getting a reputation online for looking like an idiot. People respect that.

    Odd --- I would not catagorize you as an idiot or even looking like one. There are a few other regulars here that take the top spot -- you are no where near :) ...

    jackI was hoping/figuring that he was being sarcastic. :?
  37. Quote:
    Anyhow to be honest I would of expected some of you guys on THG to be a lot smarter then that. If you had some brains then you wouldn’t of said anything to my terrible post. “The bigger man walks away” Well that’s my day always said…well I’m bored of this already so I give up ….plus I used too much tissues when I cried in the corner and I ran out. So you guys have won.

    P.S I’m only 21 from aus and I just wanted to get a laugh out of it and I did.
    Thanks


    I also go around to forums and attempt tp make myself look like an idiot. It also make me laugh. I am glad we can share in making ourselves look dumb. Man, I love getting a reputation online for looking like an idiot. People respect that.

    Odd --- I would not catagorize you as an idiot or even looking like one. There are a few other regulars here that take the top spot -- you are no where near :) ...

    jackI was hoping/figuring that he was being sarcastic. :?

    Right on, brotha. Anywho, we should get back on topic here. Point is, it would be money better spent to get another few dollars and get an E6300. Seriously, save your money.
  38. Well I'll use the PC for photoshop and some video editing and some occasional gaming. What kind of video card should I get? I just want to play BF2, FEAR, etc. at 1024x768 smoothly.
  39. Thanks guys! I'm considering the C2D now.
  40. Hardly, unless you do lots of video encoding. the 6300 peforms around the same as a 4200+ which is considbly more than a 3600+
  41. Quote:
    Hardly, unless you do lots of video encoding. the 6300 peforms around the same as a 4200+ which is considbly more than a 3600+

    Wrong. Even in games it performs more like the 4600+ or even the 5000+ in some cases... at video editing/encoding etc it destroys the FX-62.

    And yes, the OP will be doing photoshop + video editing:
    Quote:

    Well I'll use the PC for photoshop and some video editing and some occasional gaming. What kind of video card should I get? I just want to play BF2, FEAR, etc. at 1024x768 smoothly.
  42. Quote:
    Hardly, unless you do lots of video encoding. the 6300 peforms around the same as a 4200+ which is considbly more than a 3600+

    Wrong. Even in games it performs more like the 4600+ or even the 5000+ in some cases... at video editing/encoding etc it destroys the FX-62.

    And yes, the OP will be doing photoshop + video editing:
    Quote:

    Well I'll use the PC for photoshop and some video editing and some occasional gaming. What kind of video card should I get? I just want to play BF2, FEAR, etc. at 1024x768 smoothly.

    why pay lots more for 120fps vs 110 in fear? The gpu is what matters.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel Dual Core AMD