car speakers on a computer

penguinlord

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
whats the best and cheapest way to get some car subs and other speakers set up with your computer?? can i do it without a amp and stuff

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I didn't think you could do it without ruining your speakers. Aren't the ohms different? Won't it fry your speakers and or amp? Plus it would be pretty hard to hook up the proper cabling to attach said amp to a computer wouldn't it?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If you use a car speaker amplifier (or multiple amplifiers, with a splitter or mixer) then it'll likely require some cable modification, as car amplifiers use pinch-type terminals for input sometimes. It'd be very easy, though, just cutting the RCAs off a 3.5mm/2xRCA cable and stripping the wires back.

As far as ohmages goes, that almost always depends entirely on the speakers, as amps can just cut back on power if a greater impedence speaker is used (and more power if it's lower). I'm no expert on car audio, but it's a pretty simple thing to do.

Why the hell you'd want to when there are perfectly good sounding stupidly bassy systems designed just for computers is beyond me, but hey - if the OP wants to do it...

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
no, and no.

You should be able to use a stereo versajack to RCA adapter which would plug into an amp, which would drive the speakers. I would suggest some for of volume control between the Computer and the Amp, or else you could easily break something.

But honestly Car Audio sucks my nuts, this Idea is overcomplicated, if you want loud sound or something, just get a stereo amp/reciever and some floorstanders.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
well im using car woofers (not subs, woofers) but i put em in regular floor standers...yada yada yada.....

if you hook up your audio out to the car stero it would work (im sure the stereo has inputs)

you would be using the computer as the source, but you would need amplification via the stereo or an amplifier.

im doing the same thing but with a receiver. im guessing the inputs ont he back of the car stereo are rca jacks, so just get a mini - rca cable. they are like 2 bux

excentric_13073

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
OK, I have a car audio setup for mine also. (Hey, it was fun building it and it sounds pretty good to me) I have two speakers, each in rescued speaker cabinets. They're linked together to provide an impediance of 8 ohms, which is what the reciever I have them plugged into outputs at. (or however technicly you want to put that) Basicly, You have to get a reciever and match your ohms. You may be able to find all this stuff at a second-hand store, or garage sales.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
You could also get an impedance matching volume control to put in line before the receiver. Most of them jumper to fake out the receivers into thinking they have the full 6 or 8 ohms they are set at.

Sizlik

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I have a very high-wattage car audio system connected to my shop computer. This is what i did:

I have my complete car audio system minus the deck, compelete with 2 - 12" subs and 2 - 10" subs and mid, tweets in my shop. I used the car amplifiers. This is powered by a car battery hooked up to a charger (which i unplug when not in use). My comp is connected to the amps using a headphone-RCA cord. I use windows volume control to adjust the volume.

I would NOT use this set up inside my house. I see potential dangers of having a battery charging inside a house due to hydrogen gas / fire hazard / battery acid. My setup is in a non-combustable, well ventilated, non-occupied area.

To make this system safer you may want to consider a 12V transformer, but the cost of a 1000 watt transformer will be more than a proper set of computer speakers.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
The idea is very plauseable... But very impractical. Better off just grabbing some $50 bookshelf speakers and a cheap T amp or reciever. Just dont expect super over bloated midbass from boomy 12" car drivers.