combat_deity

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
ok, im getting a mobo with an lga755 proccesor socket, im a bit confused as to which heatsink and fans will attatch to my mobo. im guessing that theyre not universal, so, how do i tell which will fit to my board :S.

please be patient, im a bit of noob.

ok, im getting a mobo with an lga755 proccesor socket, im a bit confused as to which heatsink and fans will attatch to my mobo. im guessing that theyre not universal, so, how do i tell which will fit to my board :S.

please be patient, im a bit of noob.

Good question. Here is Zalman's list for one of their most popular sellers. Find your MB to see if this fan will work with it. Zalman's list is not up to date, but it may work for you.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view.asp?idx=165&code=005

714-530-0700 call Zalman in Garden Grove, CA. I was over there the other day and got a lot of free stuff (entire installation kit for that fan) :D

I forgot the dude's name, but if you call that number monday and give them the exact model number of that ASUS board they will tell you if their HSF will work. HTH.

Mondoman

Splendid
Just note that not every hsf sold for LGA775 will work properly with your MB. Surprisingly, many "LGA775" hsfs, including some big names like the Zalman 9500, do NOT meet the Intel thermal spec for LGA775. This is because the hsf has 2 functions:
1) Cool the CPU. This is the main function and all hsfs cover this.
2) Cool the surrounding components on the MB. If you examine the OEM Intel hsf fan and other "flower"-style hsfs such as the Zalman 7700, Thermaltake Golden/Blue Orb II, you'll notice that they blow air *down onto the MB* in ALL directions, air-cooling nearby components such as the PWM area and northbridge. Many (most?) aftermarket "LGA775" hsfs don't blow air down onto the MB (but rather parallel to it), and blow in only one direction. If the Northbridge and PWM area have their own active cooling (fans), if there is high airflow over those areas from other fans, or if the CPU/MB is not run hard (that is, no gaming or other extended high-CPU use), this may not be a problem.

Bottom line: if you plan on CPU-intensive work like gaming, get a "flower"-style hsf, or be prepared to add on additional cooling for the Northbridge/PWM area that was designed to be cooled by the OEM hsf.

t53186

Distinguished
Just note that not every hsf sold for LGA775 will work properly with your MB. Surprisingly, many "LGA775" hsfs, including some big names like the Zalman 9500, do NOT meet the Intel thermal spec for LGA775. This is because the hsf has 2 functions:
1) Cool the CPU. This is the main function and all hsfs cover this.
2) Cool the surrounding components on the MB. If you examine the OEM Intel hsf fan and other "flower"-style hsfs such as the Zalman 7700, Thermaltake Golden/Blue Orb II, you'll notice that they blow air *down onto the MB* in ALL directions, air-cooling nearby components such as the PWM area and northbridge. Many (most?) aftermarket "LGA775" hsfs don't blow air down onto the MB (but rather parallel to it), and blow in only one direction. If the Northbridge and PWM area have their own active cooling (fans), if there is high airflow over those areas from other fans, or if the CPU/MB is not run hard (that is, no gaming or other extended high-CPU use), this may not be a problem.

Bottom line: if you plan on CPU-intensive work like gaming, get a "flower"-style hsf, or be prepared to add on additional cooling for the Northbridge/PWM area that was designed to be cooled by the OEM hsf.

Very good point about cooling surrounding areas. I use the Zalman CNPS9500 which does blow parallel to the MB, but I have it in an Antec P180B case with a rear fan exhasting the Zalman and a top fan exhasting the MB area which maintains good temp readings (40C on CPU, 34, and 31 on zones A and B) on the 975xbx with a P940D during moderate use. This is with the fans running at a very slow rpm, almost no notable noise.