Building the missus a computer.

Reven

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Ok, you guys were an amazing help when I built my first system for myself earlier this year, so I figured I'd come back. I've been tasked to pick out and put together a computer for my girlfriend, who just moved into a dorm.

I need to make something that can do the normal school type stuff (Word and other Office programs), can do the wireless interwebs, and play games. The challenge comes from the fact that the only computer game she's really into is Oblivion, and I only have about a thousand to do it with. I'm looking for tips on cutting costs, I'm also wondering if it might just be smarter to get her a laptop that can do that stuff.

What do you guys think.

Ok, you guys were an amazing help when I built my first system for myself earlier this year, so I figured I'd come back. I've been tasked to pick out and put together a computer for my girlfriend, who just moved into a dorm.

I need to make something that can do the normal school type stuff (Word and other Office programs), can do the wireless interwebs, and play games. The challenge comes from the fact that the only computer game she's really into is Oblivion, and I only have about a thousand to do it with. I'm looking for tips on cutting costs, I'm also wondering if it might just be smarter to get her a laptop that can do that stuff.

What do you guys think.

Just tell her the majaority of the parts were purchased from Zales. Good luck with your lovelife...I mean project.

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
Will peripherals need to be included in the budget? (e.g., monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.)? What about an operating system?

At my school at least, they have sort of a partnership with Dell where students can purchase laptops at a discount price. Maybe that's something worth looking into with your case.

aequalsb

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
The first step is selecting the "perfect" case. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156187

LOL.

Dont let my wife see that...

That's pretty hard to decide. Soooo many benefits for being mobile. Once she get's off oblivion then a bad-a$$ computer will be overkill. I'd go laptop, w/ a video card, large harddrive and memory. 15" screen too.