Canon iP4000 Waste ink resetter.

I know it's early, but I have read that the waste ink sponge is estimated
full by a printout estimator, and know from experience that it takes a lot
of printing before this becomes saturated.

I have read that there is a way of resetting this counter yourself instead
of having to send it back to an engineer who will charge megabucks for doing
it.

Does anyone have a link to how this counter/indicator can be reset?

Thanks

Terry
33 answers Last reply
More about canon ip4000 waste resetter

    Here we go, You can download the FULL service manuals here.

    It has all you need, and tons more

    http://www.eserviceinfo.com/browse.php

    Mikey

    > you people are so very very very dumb
    > a new printer on sale after rebates is cheaper than the ink

    Really? The rebate on the ip4000 is about to expire... and it was only
    a $20 rebate. I have seen the ip4000 for as low as $80 from time to
    time but this is more than the ink costs. Even my ip3000 which cost
    less than the ip4000 cost more than the ink it came with even if I
    bothered to get the rebate.

    The point is rather moot as the ip4000 has been replaced by the new
    model, the ip4200. I've NOT seen this printer for under $120 which is
    about double the cost of the ink.

    This is a more accurate link.

    I was a page out.

    Sorry.

    http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_type/Printers_22.html

    Mikey

    ngreplies wrote:

    >I know it's early, but I have read that the waste ink sponge is estimated
    >full by a printout estimator, and know from experience that it takes a lot
    >of printing before this becomes saturated.
    >
    >I have read that there is a way of resetting this counter yourself

    AND THEN HAVE ALL THAT AFTERMARKET INK MAKING A MESS ALL OVER.

    "ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >Just one problem... I cannot open RAR compressed files in Windows XP

    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

    Tony

    Thanks for that... downloaded some from simtel and softseek but would not
    work.
    <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.e$cBOHiMQviAvQ@ue.ph...
    > "ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    > >Just one problem... I cannot open RAR compressed files in Windows XP
    >
    > http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    >
    > Tony

    When I opened my Epson printer which only used originals... it had loads of
    ink on it.
    OEM inks can and do cause exactly the same problems as compats.

    So smoke that in your pipe measly.

    ngreplies wrote:
    > Thanks for that... downloaded some from simtel and softseek but would not
    > work.
    > <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.e$cBOHiMQviAvQ@ue.ph...
    >
    >>"ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just one problem... I cannot open RAR compressed files in Windows XP
    >>
    >>http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    >>
    >>Tony

    I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
    iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
    It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
    part 2 to download, only part 1.
    The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
    details.rar downloaded fine.

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>you people are so very very very dumb
    >>a new printer on sale after rebates is cheaper than the ink
    >

    > Really? The rebate on the ip4000 is about to expire... and it was only
    > a $20 rebate. I have seen the ip4000 for as low as $80 from time to
    > time but this is more than the ink costs. Even my ip3000 which cost
    > less than the ip4000 cost more than the ink it came with even if I
    > bothered to get the rebate.
    >
    > The point is rather moot as the ip4000 has been replaced by the new
    > model, the ip4200. I've NOT seen this printer for under $120 which is
    > about double the cost of the ink.

    Staples advertised this week that the 4000 had $20
    plus a $50 mail in rebate for a cost of $80.

    ngreplies wrote:

    >When I opened my Epson printer which only used originals... it had loads of
    >ink on it.
    >OEM inks can and do cause exactly the same problems as compats.
    >
    >So smoke that in your pipe measly.

    DA LYIN MF IDIOT. SO YOU KILLFILED ME. THEN HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO
    ANSWER. JEST LIKE I THOUGHT. HA HA HA GOTCHA

    "ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >I know it's early, but I have read that the waste ink sponge is estimated
    >full by a printout estimator, and know from experience that it takes a lot
    >of printing before this becomes saturated.
    >
    >I have read that there is a way of resetting this counter yourself instead
    >of having to send it back to an engineer who will charge megabucks for doing
    >it.
    >
    >Does anyone have a link to how this counter/indicator can be reset?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Terry

    Terry

    Be warned not to reset the counter too often, there will be ink build up in the
    sponge and at some stage this will have to be replaced or cleaned, if you reset

    more than once and do not replace or clean the pad there is a severe chance of
    ink spillage onto the base of the printer, your desk and the

    carpet. You have been warned:)

    Service mode

    1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button,
    press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons.

    The LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.) .

    2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT
    release the Power button.) .

    3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and
    then release both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons.

    (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in
    orange and green, starting with orange.) .

    4) When the LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button 4 times. (Each
    time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights

    alternately in orange and green, starting with orange.) .

    5) Press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the reset is performed.
    (When the operation completes, the printer returns to the

    menu selection mode automatically.) .

    6) Press the power button to exit service mode.

    Note:- if you accidentally press the Resume/Cancel button more than 4 times in
    step 4 then just press the Resume/Cancel button at least 10

    times and the printer will be returned to step 4 automatically.

    BTW the other functions that are available at step 4 are -
    press 0 times = power off
    press 1 time = Service Test Print
    press 2 times = EEPROM information print
    press 3 times = EEPROM initialisation
    press 5 times = Destination settings (country information, do not play with
    this)
    press 6 times = Printhead Deep Cleaning
    press 7,8 or 9 times = not used in servicing so do not play with these.
    press 10 times or more = return to menu (step 4)

    Tony

    "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >ngreplies wrote:
    >> Thanks for that... downloaded some from simtel and softseek but would not
    >> work.
    >> <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.e$cBOHiMQviAvQ@ue.ph...

    >>>http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    >>>
    >>>Tony
    >>

    >I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
    >iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
    >It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
    >part 2 to download, only part 1.
    >The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
    >details.rar downloaded fine.

    Interesting, that is where I got my manual and part 2 used to be there. Not
    sure where else it is available except from Canon ($$$).
    BTW the manual that I got is in fact incomplete, missing 2-4 pdf's, probably a
    related issue.
    Tony

    > Could anyone tell me please if the info for the ip4000 also applies to
    > the ip5000?

    The service mode fuctions in the service manual apply to the
    ip3000/4000/5000/6000/8500. There "may" be some differences in the
    ip4200/5200/6000 series except the 6000, but it also "may" be possible
    if you press resume too many times it will print out what options there
    are. I.e. if you are setting your printer's destination (country of
    sale) and there are 9 options and you hit resume10 times on the newer
    models it provides hard copy of each of the 9 options... I think.

    >>I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
    >>iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
    >>It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
    >>part 2 to download, only part 1.
    >>The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
    >>details.rar downloaded fine.
    >
    >Interesting, that is where I got my manual and part 2 used to be there. Not
    >sure where else it is available except from Canon ($$$).
    >BTW the manual that I got is in fact incomplete, missing 2-4 pdf's, probably a
    >related issue.
    >Tony

    Just a note, when the page opens up for the manual part one, look at the
    'multipart' line, the little '1' is a link to part 2 of the manual, not
    very clear I know!

    Could anyone tell me please if the info for the ip4000 also applies to
    the ip5000?

    Many thanks

    Mary
    --
    Mary Haggie

    Mary Haggie <mary.haggie@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>>I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
    >>>iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
    >>>It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
    >>>part 2 to download, only part 1.
    >>>The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
    >>>details.rar downloaded fine.
    >>
    >>Interesting, that is where I got my manual and part 2 used to be there. Not
    >>sure where else it is available except from Canon ($$$).
    >>BTW the manual that I got is in fact incomplete, missing 2-4 pdf's, probably
    >>related issue.
    >>Tony
    >

    >Just a note, when the page opens up for the manual part one, look at the
    >'multipart' line, the little '1' is a link to part 2 of the manual, not
    >very clear I know!
    >
    >Could anyone tell me please if the info for the ip4000 also applies to
    >the ip5000?
    >
    >Many thanks
    >
    >Mary
    >--
    >Mary Haggie

    Ah - got it

    Tony

    Mary Haggie wrote:
    >>>I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
    >>>iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
    >>>It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
    >>>part 2 to download, only part 1.
    >>>The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
    >>>details.rar downloaded fine.
    >>
    >>Interesting, that is where I got my manual and part 2 used to be there. Not
    >>sure where else it is available except from Canon ($$$).
    >>BTW the manual that I got is in fact incomplete, missing 2-4 pdf's, probably a
    >>related issue.
    >>Tony
    >

    > Just a note, when the page opens up for the manual part one, look at the
    > 'multipart' line, the little '1' is a link to part 2 of the manual, not
    > very clear I know!
    >
    > Could anyone tell me please if the info for the ip4000 also applies to
    > the ip5000?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Mary

    Thanks Mary,

    Don't know how one person can be so stupid.
    I tried to look at it again (on my desktop) and
    couldn't find a "1" still just said "corrupt
    file." So I deleted everything, even the trash
    can and went to the download site. Looked for a
    "1," finally found it, and you can't believe how
    stupid I felt. I hadn't even noticed the
    "multipart" on the description of the file.

    Anyway, thanks again, all is well because of your
    help and I will be able to fix the problem when it
    occurs (will be sometime as my printer is only 1
    month old).

    Is there any way of getting a page count through the menu system of the ip4000?
    I could not find one in the .rar manual. My old Canon BJC600 used to when doing
    one of the test prints.

    Thanks,

    John B

    --
    Remove <nospam> from email address to reply

    <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.76rXej7S7q1U2w@ue.ph...
    > "ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    > >I know it's early, but I have read that the waste ink sponge is estimated
    > >full by a printout estimator, and know from experience that it takes a lot
    > >of printing before this becomes saturated.
    > >
    > >I have read that there is a way of resetting this counter yourself instead
    > >of having to send it back to an engineer who will charge megabucks for doing
    > >it.
    > >
    > >Does anyone have a link to how this counter/indicator can be reset?
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Terry
    >

    > Terry
    >
    > Be warned not to reset the counter too often, there will be ink build up in
    the
    > sponge and at some stage this will have to be replaced or cleaned, if you
    reset
    > more than once and do not replace or clean the pad there is a severe chance of
    > ink spillage onto the base of the printer, your desk and the
    > carpet. You have been warned:)
    >
    > Service mode
    >
    > 1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button,
    > press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons.
    > The LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.) .
    >
    > 2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT
    > release the Power button.) .
    >
    > 3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times,
    and
    > then release both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons.
    > (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in
    > orange and green, starting with orange.) .
    >
    > 4) When the LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button 4 times.
    (Each
    > time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights
    > alternately in orange and green, starting with orange.) .
    >
    > 5) Press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the reset is
    performed.
    > (When the operation completes, the printer returns to the
    > menu selection mode automatically.) .
    >
    > 6) Press the power button to exit service mode.
    >
    > Note:- if you accidentally press the Resume/Cancel button more than 4 times in
    > step 4 then just press the Resume/Cancel button at least 10
    > times and the printer will be returned to step 4 automatically.
    >
    > BTW the other functions that are available at step 4 are -
    > press 0 times = power off
    > press 1 time = Service Test Print
    > press 2 times = EEPROM information print
    > press 3 times = EEPROM initialisation
    > press 5 times = Destination settings (country information, do not play with
    > this)
    > press 6 times = Printhead Deep Cleaning
    > press 7,8 or 9 times = not used in servicing so do not play with these.
    > press 10 times or more = return to menu (step 4)
    >
    > Tony

    Look at the 09/17/05 reply by Tony to the thread "Canon iP4000 service
    manual" . The message contains the exact information needed not only on how
    to reset the waste ink counter, but also how to print a status information
    page. Page counts (total and broken down by paper type) are included. This
    information is also in the .rar manual on pages 1-15 and 1-16 a description
    of all the fields is available on pages 1-17 to 1-19.
    --
    Ron

    "John B" <john@hawkhurst.nospamf2s.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> menu selection mode automatically.) .
    >>
    >> 6) Press the power button to exit service mode.
    >>
    >> Note:- if you accidentally press the Resume/Cancel button more than 4
    >> times in
    >> step 4 then just press the Resume/Cancel button at least 10
    >> times and the printer will be returned to step 4 automatically.
    >>
    >> BTW the other functions that are available at step 4 are -
    >> press 0 times = power off
    >> press 1 time = Service Test Print
    >> press 2 times = EEPROM information print
    >> press 3 times = EEPROM initialisation
    >> press 5 times = Destination settings (country information, do not play
    >> with
    >> this)
    >> press 6 times = Printhead Deep Cleaning
    >> press 7,8 or 9 times = not used in servicing so do not play with these.
    >> press 10 times or more = return to menu (step 4)

    I've managed to get an EEPROM info print, but cannot now get the machine out of
    service mode. Every time I send something to print, it reports it is offline!
    How do I reset it to normal please? I need to do some more printing! HELP! I
    have tried lots of options but without success.

    John B.

    --

    John B wrote:
    > I've managed to get an EEPROM info print, but cannot now get the machine out of
    > service mode. Every time I send something to print, it reports it is offline!
    > How do I reset it to normal please? I need to do some more printing! HELP! I
    > have tried lots of options but without success.
    >
    > John B.

    Press power to exit out of service mode and resume normal operation.

    You can set almost anything electronic back to
    zero (or start up) by turning it off and pulling
    the plug or removing the batteries. In other
    words, kill the brain for a rebirth. But you have
    to pull the plug because most stuff, including
    your printer, are not really off when you use the
    switch to turn it off.

    "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > You can set almost anything electronic back to zero (or start up) by turning
    > it off and pulling the plug or removing the batteries.

    Except for information stored in Non Volatile Memory (NVM). Information such
    as the waste ink level would be stored in NVM and not subject to "forgetting"
    in case of a power failure.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick

    The waste reset is on PAGE 20, Part 4 of the service manul you downloaded.

    Mike
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > not if it write to an eprom. what do you know anyway

    I think perhaps it might be better if you use the term NVM (non
    volitile memory). When you get specific and say "e-prom" you apear
    foolish. You see you can really write to an e-prom, not without
    shoving it under a UV light erasing it's contents and re-writing to it.
    This isn't practical, not in a printer. What you mean is an ee-prom
    (double e prom) or flash-rom, and even that might not be correct as
    there is also NV-ram which is basicly ram with a battery piggybacked on
    it. These are handy as you can easily pop out the chip and place it
    elsewhere and the values remain the same and isn't limited to a certain
    number of writes. And you also have ordinary battery backed up ram
    which in IBM PC clone terms is called the CMOS battery (Complex
    Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) which is such an odd term to use for basicly
    ram. But it was a new idea to have these values in ram. It's an
    understandable mistake for those not experenced with electronics. NVM
    (non volitile memory) is a good term to use when you don't happen to
    know specificly what the device is using, which there is no shame in
    that as I never took the time to disassemble my printer and look at the
    sprnt board and evaluate what form of NVM it uses.

    I hope in the future when you harass someone it's helpful to actually
    know the terminology so you don't appear foolish when making someone
    else loook foolish. I know I can change the parameters on the fly and
    it doesn't take a hour to set into NVM so there is no chance in hell
    it's an E-prom.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > You can set almost anything electronic back to zero (or start up) by
    > turning it off and pulling the plug or removing the batteries. In
    > other words, kill the brain for a rebirth.

    NOT IF IT WRITE TO AN EPROM. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ANYWAY.

    > But you have to pull the plug because most stuff, including your
    > printer, are not really off when you use the switch to turn it off.
    >
    > John B wrote:
    >
    >> I've managed to get an EEPROM info print, but cannot now get the
    >> machine out of
    >> service mode. Every time I send something to print, it reports it is
    >> offline!
    >> How do I reset it to normal please? I need to do some more printing!
    >> HELP! I
    >> have tried lots of options but without success.
    >>
    >> John B.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Remove <nospam> from email address to reply
    >> "drc023" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Look at the 09/17/05 reply by Tony to the thread "Canon iP4000 service
    >>> manual" . The message contains the exact information needed not only
    >>> on how
    >>> to reset the waste ink counter, but also how to print a status
    >>> information
    >>> page. Page counts (total and broken down by paper type) are
    >>> included. This
    >>> information is also in the .rar manual on pages 1-15 and 1-16 a
    >>> description
    >>> of all the fields is available on pages 1-17 to 1-19.
    >>> --
    >>> Ron
    >>>
    >>> "John B" <john@hawkhurst.nospamf2s.com> wrote in message

  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Bob Headrick wrote:
    > "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>You can set almost anything electronic back to zero (or start up) by turning
    >>it off and pulling the plug or removing the batteries.
    >

    > Except for information stored in Non Volatile Memory (NVM). Information such
    > as the waste ink level would be stored in NVM and not subject to "forgetting"
    > in case of a power failure.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob Headrick

    True, I was simplifying a bit (maybe too much).
    His problem was not getting rid of actual stored
    data but getting out of a (or specifically the
    position in a program). It is not likely that the
    steps in a program are going to be recorded in
    NVM. Kill the brain should be a first attempt and
    works in most or many cases where you get into a
    situation by punching buttons that you just can't
    seem to get out of. But even some stuff that may
    appear to be in non volatile memory requires an
    energy source such as a capacitor, so removing a
    battery for a period may get rid of it.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>not if it write to an eprom. what do you know anyway
    >

    > I think perhaps it might be better if you use the term NVM (non
    > volitile memory). When you get specific and say "e-prom" you apear
    > foolish. You see you can really write to an e-prom, not without
    > shoving it under a UV light erasing it's contents and re-writing to it.
    > This isn't practical, not in a printer. What you mean is an ee-prom
    > (double e prom) or flash-rom, and even that might not be correct as
    > there is also NV-ram which is basicly ram with a battery piggybacked on
    > it. These are handy as you can easily pop out the chip and place it
    > elsewhere and the values remain the same and isn't limited to a certain
    > number of writes. And you also have ordinary battery backed up ram
    > which in IBM PC clone terms is called the CMOS battery (Complex
    > Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) which is such an odd term to use for basicly
    > ram. But it was a new idea to have these values in ram. It's an
    > understandable mistake for those not experenced with electronics. NVM
    > (non volitile memory) is a good term to use when you don't happen to
    > know specificly what the device is using, which there is no shame in
    > that as I never took the time to disassemble my printer and look at the
    > sprnt board and evaluate what form of NVM it uses.
    >
    > I hope in the future when you harass someone it's helpful to actually
    > know the terminology so you don't appear foolish when making someone
    > else loook foolish. I know I can change the parameters on the fly and
    > it doesn't take a hour to set into NVM so there is no chance in hell
    > it's an E-prom.

    I hope you didn't mean what you said in the last
    paragraph. :)
    That is, "... so you don't appear foolish when
    making someone else look foolish." I think that
    he seldom makes anyone else look foolish, I
    certainly don't think he made me look foolish.
    But then, I don't normally read anything that he
    says. In fact, I don't understand why anyone does
    or responds to him.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > I hope you didn't mean what you said in the last
    > paragraph. :)

    I ment he was trying to make you apear foolish but failed. Your
    statement about removing the batteries to clear the memory. Valid
    enough except in cases where the battery is hidden or the printer is
    using something that doesn't require a battery.

    > In fact, I don't understand why anyone does
    > or responds to him.

    Perhaps because much of his information is wrong... dead wrong, and it
    might be helpful to other users who don't have experence to see
    someone's misconceptions corrected.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > I for one have never seen a battery in a printer other than for a portable
    > printer

    I have to admit, I've not actually "seen" a battery in a printer. But
    given the fact that the average PC still uses battery backed up bios
    settings, it's clearly not impossible. I know in the old days NVRAM
    was used in some printers which was basicly a ram chip backed up by a
    battery which was picky backed on the chip and encased in plastic and
    glued on with epoxy. Eventually after years, or decades these
    batteries would fail. The reccomended solution was to buy a new NVRAM
    chip which were typicaly in the $20 range the last time I looked.
    Alternativly one could scrap away the epoxy and get at the wires
    between the piggy back, cut them and solder on a new battery pack. In
    a pinch one could if they were careful short out the battery to clear
    the memory. You would only do this on systems that absolutely had to
    be back online as soon as possible and you couldn't wait for a
    replacement.

    I don't know what canon is using. I suspect it's a EEPROM.. probally
    because that's what the service manual says.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I hope you didn't mean what you said in the last
    > > paragraph. :)
    >
    > I ment he was trying to make you apear foolish but failed. Your
    > statement about removing the batteries to clear the memory. Valid
    > enough except in cases where the battery is hidden or the printer is
    > using something that doesn't require a battery.
    >
    > > In fact, I don't understand why anyone does
    > > or responds to him.
    >
    > Perhaps because much of his information is wrong... dead wrong, and it
    > might be helpful to other users who don't have experence to see
    > someone's misconceptions corrected.

  32. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Whoa! I think somebody fell off the back of the
    boat and thought he was on the bow. I've never
    seen a battery in a printer either. So? Nobody
    said anything about a battery in a printer, if you
    were referring to my statement. It was a general
    electronics statement and someone should have
    notice the "or."

    ngreplies wrote:
    > I for one have never seen a battery in a printer other than for a portable
    > printer.
    >

    > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>>I hope you didn't mean what you said in the last
    >>>paragraph. :)
    >>
    >>I ment he was trying to make you apear foolish but failed. Your
    >>statement about removing the batteries to clear the memory. Valid
    >>enough except in cases where the battery is hidden or the printer is
    >>using something that doesn't require a battery.
    >>

    >>>In fact, I don't understand why anyone does
    >>>or responds to him.
    >>
    >>Perhaps because much of his information is wrong... dead wrong, and it
    >>might be helpful to other users who don't have experence to see
    >>someone's misconceptions corrected.

  33. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>I for one have never seen a battery in a printer other than for a portable
    >>printer
    >

    > I have to admit, I've not actually "seen" a battery in a printer. But
    > given the fact that the average PC still uses battery backed up bios
    > settings, it's clearly not impossible. I know in the old days NVRAM
    > was used in some printers which was basicly a ram chip backed up by a
    > battery which was picky backed on the chip and encased in plastic and
    > glued on with epoxy. Eventually after years, or decades these
    > batteries would fail. The reccomended solution was to buy a new NVRAM
    > chip which were typicaly in the $20 range the last time I looked.
    > Alternativly one could scrap away the epoxy and get at the wires
    > between the piggy back, cut them and solder on a new battery pack. In
    > a pinch one could if they were careful short out the battery to clear
    > the memory. You would only do this on systems that absolutely had to
    > be back online as soon as possible and you couldn't wait for a
    > replacement.
    >
    > I don't know what canon is using. I suspect it's a EEPROM.. probally
    > because that's what the service manual says.

    All this about a battery in a printer? It was a
    general statement about electronic gadgets which
    includes computers, cameras, phones, recorders,
    GPS, etc. Need I continue? It is still a valid
    point. When the damn thing misbehaves and you
    can't get out of a loop, turn the thing off and
    pull the plug (if it has one) and pull the battery
    (if it has one).

Printers Canon Peripherals