Canon iP4000 Waste ink resetter.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 16, 2005 10:34:10 PM

I know it's early, but I have read that the waste ink sponge is estimated
full by a printout estimator, and know from experience that it takes a lot
of printing before this becomes saturated.

I have read that there is a way of resetting this counter yourself instead
of having to send it back to an engineer who will charge megabucks for doing
it.

Does anyone have a link to how this counter/indicator can be reset?

Thanks

Terry
September 16, 2005 10:34:11 PM

> you people are so very very very dumb
> a new printer on sale after rebates is cheaper than the ink

Really? The rebate on the ip4000 is about to expire... and it was only
a $20 rebate. I have seen the ip4000 for as low as $80 from time to
time but this is more than the ink costs. Even my ip3000 which cost
less than the ip4000 cost more than the ink it came with even if I
bothered to get the rebate.

The point is rather moot as the ip4000 has been replaced by the new
model, the ip4200. I've NOT seen this printer for under $120 which is
about double the cost of the ink.
September 17, 2005 1:19:25 AM

ngreplies wrote:

>I know it's early, but I have read that the waste ink sponge is estimated
>full by a printout estimator, and know from experience that it takes a lot
>of printing before this becomes saturated.
>
>I have read that there is a way of resetting this counter yourself

AND THEN HAVE ALL THAT AFTERMARKET INK MAKING A MESS ALL OVER.

>instead
>of having to send it back to an engineer who will charge megabucks for doing
>it.
>
>Does anyone have a link to how this counter/indicator can be reset?
>
>Thanks
>
>Terry

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:20:21 AM

ngreplies wrote:

>I know it's early, but I have read that the waste ink sponge is estimated
>full by a printout estimator, and know from experience that it takes a lot
>of printing before this becomes saturated.
>
>I have read that there is a way of resetting this counter yourself instead
>of having to send it back to an engineer who will charge megabucks for doing
>it.
>
>Does anyone have a link to how this counter/indicator can be reset?
>
>Thanks
>
>Terry

September 17, 2005 1:23:57 AM

"ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>Just one problem... I cannot open RAR compressed files in Windows XP

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Tony
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 2:29:06 AM

Thanks for that... downloaded some from simtel and softseek but would not
work.
<Tony> wrote in message news:p art1of1.1.e$cBOHiMQviAvQ@ue.ph...
> "ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >Just one problem... I cannot open RAR compressed files in Windows XP
>
> http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
>
> Tony
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 2:30:53 AM

When I opened my Epson printer which only used originals... it had loads of
ink on it.
OEM inks can and do cause exactly the same problems as compats.

So smoke that in your pipe measly.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:42:07 AM

ngreplies wrote:
> Thanks for that... downloaded some from simtel and softseek but would not
> work.
> <Tony> wrote in message news:p art1of1.1.e$cBOHiMQviAvQ@ue.ph...
>
>>"ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Just one problem... I cannot open RAR compressed files in Windows XP
>>
>>http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
>>
>>Tony

I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
part 2 to download, only part 1.
The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
details.rar downloaded fine.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:47:58 AM

zakezuke wrote:
>>you people are so very very very dumb
>>a new printer on sale after rebates is cheaper than the ink
>

> Really? The rebate on the ip4000 is about to expire... and it was only
> a $20 rebate. I have seen the ip4000 for as low as $80 from time to
> time but this is more than the ink costs. Even my ip3000 which cost
> less than the ip4000 cost more than the ink it came with even if I
> bothered to get the rebate.
>
> The point is rather moot as the ip4000 has been replaced by the new
> model, the ip4200. I've NOT seen this printer for under $120 which is
> about double the cost of the ink.

Staples advertised this week that the 4000 had $20
plus a $50 mail in rebate for a cost of $80.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:19:46 AM

ngreplies wrote:

>When I opened my Epson printer which only used originals... it had loads of
>ink on it.
>OEM inks can and do cause exactly the same problems as compats.
>
>So smoke that in your pipe measly.

DA LYIN MF IDIOT. SO YOU KILLFILED ME. THEN HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO
ANSWER. JEST LIKE I THOUGHT. HA HA HA GOTCHA

September 17, 2005 6:08:36 AM

"ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>I know it's early, but I have read that the waste ink sponge is estimated
>full by a printout estimator, and know from experience that it takes a lot
>of printing before this becomes saturated.
>
>I have read that there is a way of resetting this counter yourself instead
>of having to send it back to an engineer who will charge megabucks for doing
>it.
>
>Does anyone have a link to how this counter/indicator can be reset?
>
>Thanks
>
>Terry

Terry

Be warned not to reset the counter too often, there will be ink build up in the
sponge and at some stage this will have to be replaced or cleaned, if you reset

more than once and do not replace or clean the pad there is a severe chance of
ink spillage onto the base of the printer, your desk and the

carpet. You have been warned:)

Service mode

1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button,
press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons.

The LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.) .

2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT
release the Power button.) .

3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and
then release both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons.

(Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in
orange and green, starting with orange.) .

4) When the LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button 4 times. (Each
time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights

alternately in orange and green, starting with orange.) .

5) Press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the reset is performed.
(When the operation completes, the printer returns to the

menu selection mode automatically.) .

6) Press the power button to exit service mode.

Note:- if you accidentally press the Resume/Cancel button more than 4 times in
step 4 then just press the Resume/Cancel button at least 10

times and the printer will be returned to step 4 automatically.

BTW the other functions that are available at step 4 are -
press 0 times = power off
press 1 time = Service Test Print
press 2 times = EEPROM information print
press 3 times = EEPROM initialisation
press 5 times = Destination settings (country information, do not play with
this)
press 6 times = Printhead Deep Cleaning
press 7,8 or 9 times = not used in servicing so do not play with these.
press 10 times or more = return to menu (step 4)

Tony
September 17, 2005 6:32:06 AM

"George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>ngreplies wrote:
>> Thanks for that... downloaded some from simtel and softseek but would not
>> work.
>> <Tony> wrote in message news:p art1of1.1.e$cBOHiMQviAvQ@ue.ph...

>>>http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
>>>
>>>Tony
>>

>I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
>iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
>It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
>part 2 to download, only part 1.
>The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
>details.rar downloaded fine.

Interesting, that is where I got my manual and part 2 used to be there. Not
sure where else it is available except from Canon ($$$).
BTW the manual that I got is in fact incomplete, missing 2-4 pdf's, probably a
related issue.
Tony
September 17, 2005 5:08:29 PM

> Could anyone tell me please if the info for the ip4000 also applies to
> the ip5000?

The service mode fuctions in the service manual apply to the
ip3000/4000/5000/6000/8500. There "may" be some differences in the
ip4200/5200/6000 series except the 6000, but it also "may" be possible
if you press resume too many times it will print out what options there
are. I.e. if you are setting your printer's destination (country of
sale) and there are 9 options and you hit resume10 times on the newer
models it provides hard copy of each of the 9 options... I think.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:34:34 PM

>>I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
>>iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
>>It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
>>part 2 to download, only part 1.
>>The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
>>details.rar downloaded fine.
>
>Interesting, that is where I got my manual and part 2 used to be there. Not
>sure where else it is available except from Canon ($$$).
>BTW the manual that I got is in fact incomplete, missing 2-4 pdf's, probably a
>related issue.
>Tony

Just a note, when the page opens up for the manual part one, look at the
'multipart' line, the little '1' is a link to part 2 of the manual, not
very clear I know!

Could anyone tell me please if the info for the ip4000 also applies to
the ip5000?

Many thanks

Mary
--
Mary Haggie
September 18, 2005 12:41:29 AM

Mary Haggie <mary.haggie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
>>>iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
>>>It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
>>>part 2 to download, only part 1.
>>>The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
>>>details.rar downloaded fine.
>>
>>Interesting, that is where I got my manual and part 2 used to be there. Not
>>sure where else it is available except from Canon ($$$).
>>BTW the manual that I got is in fact incomplete, missing 2-4 pdf's, probably
>>related issue.
>>Tony
>

>Just a note, when the page opens up for the manual part one, look at the
>'multipart' line, the little '1' is a link to part 2 of the manual, not
>very clear I know!
>
>Could anyone tell me please if the info for the ip4000 also applies to
>the ip5000?
>
>Many thanks
>
>Mary
>--
>Mary Haggie

Ah - got it

Tony
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 6:39:39 AM

Mary Haggie wrote:
>>>I don't have trouble with .rar stuff but the
>>>iP4000 service manual.part1.rar would not open.
>>>It says it needed part2 to open, but there is no
>>>part 2 to download, only part 1.
>>>The iP4000 part.rar and iP4000R product service
>>>details.rar downloaded fine.
>>
>>Interesting, that is where I got my manual and part 2 used to be there. Not
>>sure where else it is available except from Canon ($$$).
>>BTW the manual that I got is in fact incomplete, missing 2-4 pdf's, probably a
>>related issue.
>>Tony
>

> Just a note, when the page opens up for the manual part one, look at the
> 'multipart' line, the little '1' is a link to part 2 of the manual, not
> very clear I know!
>
> Could anyone tell me please if the info for the ip4000 also applies to
> the ip5000?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mary

Thanks Mary,

Don't know how one person can be so stupid.
I tried to look at it again (on my desktop) and
couldn't find a "1" still just said "corrupt
file." So I deleted everything, even the trash
can and went to the download site. Looked for a
"1," finally found it, and you can't believe how
stupid I felt. I hadn't even noticed the
"multipart" on the description of the file.

Anyway, thanks again, all is well because of your
help and I will be able to fix the problem when it
occurs (will be sometime as my printer is only 1
month old).
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:51:16 PM

Is there any way of getting a page count through the menu system of the ip4000?
I could not find one in the .rar manual. My old Canon BJC600 used to when doing
one of the test prints.

Thanks,

John B

--
Remove <nospam> from email address to reply

<Tony> wrote in message news:p art1of1.1.76rXej7S7q1U2w@ue.ph...
> "ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >I know it's early, but I have read that the waste ink sponge is estimated
> >full by a printout estimator, and know from experience that it takes a lot
> >of printing before this becomes saturated.
> >
> >I have read that there is a way of resetting this counter yourself instead
> >of having to send it back to an engineer who will charge megabucks for doing
> >it.
> >
> >Does anyone have a link to how this counter/indicator can be reset?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Terry
>

> Terry
>
> Be warned not to reset the counter too often, there will be ink build up in
the
> sponge and at some stage this will have to be replaced or cleaned, if you
reset
> more than once and do not replace or clean the pad there is a severe chance of
> ink spillage onto the base of the printer, your desk and the
> carpet. You have been warned:)
>
> Service mode
>
> 1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button,
> press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons.
> The LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.) .
>
> 2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT
> release the Power button.) .
>
> 3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times,
and
> then release both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons.
> (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in
> orange and green, starting with orange.) .
>
> 4) When the LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button 4 times.
(Each
> time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights
> alternately in orange and green, starting with orange.) .
>
> 5) Press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the reset is
performed.
> (When the operation completes, the printer returns to the
> menu selection mode automatically.) .
>
> 6) Press the power button to exit service mode.
>
> Note:- if you accidentally press the Resume/Cancel button more than 4 times in
> step 4 then just press the Resume/Cancel button at least 10
> times and the printer will be returned to step 4 automatically.
>
> BTW the other functions that are available at step 4 are -
> press 0 times = power off
> press 1 time = Service Test Print
> press 2 times = EEPROM information print
> press 3 times = EEPROM initialisation
> press 5 times = Destination settings (country information, do not play with
> this)
> press 6 times = Printhead Deep Cleaning
> press 7,8 or 9 times = not used in servicing so do not play with these.
> press 10 times or more = return to menu (step 4)
>
> Tony
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:25:55 PM

Look at the 09/17/05 reply by Tony to the thread "Canon iP4000 service
manual" . The message contains the exact information needed not only on how
to reset the waste ink counter, but also how to print a status information
page. Page counts (total and broken down by paper type) are included. This
information is also in the .rar manual on pages 1-15 and 1-16 a description
of all the fields is available on pages 1-17 to 1-19.
--
Ron

"John B" <john@hawkhurst.nospamf2s.com> wrote in message
news:D gjusr$jrb$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> [...]
>> menu selection mode automatically.) .
>>
>> 6) Press the power button to exit service mode.
>>
>> Note:- if you accidentally press the Resume/Cancel button more than 4
>> times in
>> step 4 then just press the Resume/Cancel button at least 10
>> times and the printer will be returned to step 4 automatically.
>>
>> BTW the other functions that are available at step 4 are -
>> press 0 times = power off
>> press 1 time = Service Test Print
>> press 2 times = EEPROM information print
>> press 3 times = EEPROM initialisation
>> press 5 times = Destination settings (country information, do not play
>> with
>> this)
>> press 6 times = Printhead Deep Cleaning
>> press 7,8 or 9 times = not used in servicing so do not play with these.
>> press 10 times or more = return to menu (step 4)

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 4:25:59 AM

I've managed to get an EEPROM info print, but cannot now get the machine out of
service mode. Every time I send something to print, it reports it is offline!
How do I reset it to normal please? I need to do some more printing! HELP! I
have tried lots of options but without success.

John B.

--
"drc023" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
> [...]
> >> menu selection mode automatically.) .
> >>
> >> 6) Press the power button to exit service mode.
> >>
> >> Note:- if you accidentally press the Resume/Cancel button more than 4
> >> times in
> >> step 4 then just press the Resume/Cancel button at least 10
> >> times and the printer will be returned to step 4 automatically.
> >>
> >> BTW the other functions that are available at step 4 are -
> >> press 0 times = power off
> >> press 1 time = Service Test Print
> >> press 2 times = EEPROM information print
> >> press 3 times = EEPROM initialisation
> >> press 5 times = Destination settings (country information, do not play
> >> with
> >> this)
> >> press 6 times = Printhead Deep Cleaning
> >> press 7,8 or 9 times = not used in servicing so do not play with these.
> >> press 10 times or more = return to menu (step 4)

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 4:26:00 AM

John B wrote:
> I've managed to get an EEPROM info print, but cannot now get the machine out of
> service mode. Every time I send something to print, it reports it is offline!
> How do I reset it to normal please? I need to do some more printing! HELP! I
> have tried lots of options but without success.
>
> John B.

Press power to exit out of service mode and resume normal operation.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:19:47 AM

You can set almost anything electronic back to
zero (or start up) by turning it off and pulling
the plug or removing the batteries. In other
words, kill the brain for a rebirth. But you have
to pull the plug because most stuff, including
your printer, are not really off when you use the
switch to turn it off.

John B wrote:
> I've managed to get an EEPROM info print, but cannot now get the machine out of
> service mode. Every time I send something to print, it reports it is offline!
> How do I reset it to normal please? I need to do some more printing! HELP! I
> have tried lots of options but without success.
>
> John B.
>
> --
> Remove <nospam> from email address to reply
> "drc023" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>
>>Look at the 09/17/05 reply by Tony to the thread "Canon iP4000 service
>>manual" . The message contains the exact information needed not only on how
>>to reset the waste ink counter, but also how to print a status information
>>page. Page counts (total and broken down by paper type) are included. This
>>information is also in the .rar manual on pages 1-15 and 1-16 a description
>>of all the fields is available on pages 1-17 to 1-19.
>>--
>>Ron
>>
>>"John B" <john@hawkhurst.nospamf2s.com> wrote in message
>>news:D gjusr$jrb$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
>>
>>>Is there any way of getting a page count through the menu system of the
>>>ip4000?
>>>I could not find one in the .rar manual. My old Canon BJC600 used to when
>>>doing
>>>one of the test prints.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>John B
>>>
>>>--
>>>Remove <nospam> from email address to reply

>>>the

>>>reset

>>>and

>>>(Each

>>>performed.

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:19:48 AM

"George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> You can set almost anything electronic back to zero (or start up) by turning
> it off and pulling the plug or removing the batteries.

Except for information stored in Non Volatile Memory (NVM). Information such
as the waste ink level would be stored in NVM and not subject to "forgetting"
in case of a power failure.

Regards,
Bob Headrick
September 20, 2005 1:49:37 PM

The waste reset is on PAGE 20, Part 4 of the service manul you downloaded.

Mike
September 20, 2005 8:55:17 PM

> not if it write to an eprom. what do you know anyway

I think perhaps it might be better if you use the term NVM (non
volitile memory). When you get specific and say "e-prom" you apear
foolish. You see you can really write to an e-prom, not without
shoving it under a UV light erasing it's contents and re-writing to it.
This isn't practical, not in a printer. What you mean is an ee-prom
(double e prom) or flash-rom, and even that might not be correct as
there is also NV-ram which is basicly ram with a battery piggybacked on
it. These are handy as you can easily pop out the chip and place it
elsewhere and the values remain the same and isn't limited to a certain
number of writes. And you also have ordinary battery backed up ram
which in IBM PC clone terms is called the CMOS battery (Complex
Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) which is such an odd term to use for basicly
ram. But it was a new idea to have these values in ram. It's an
understandable mistake for those not experenced with electronics. NVM
(non volitile memory) is a good term to use when you don't happen to
know specificly what the device is using, which there is no shame in
that as I never took the time to disassemble my printer and look at the
sprnt board and evaluate what form of NVM it uses.

I hope in the future when you harass someone it's helpful to actually
know the terminology so you don't appear foolish when making someone
else loook foolish. I know I can change the parameters on the fly and
it doesn't take a hour to set into NVM so there is no chance in hell
it's an E-prom.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 9:39:17 PM

George E. Cawthon wrote:

> You can set almost anything electronic back to zero (or start up) by
> turning it off and pulling the plug or removing the batteries. In
> other words, kill the brain for a rebirth.

NOT IF IT WRITE TO AN EPROM. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ANYWAY.

> But you have to pull the plug because most stuff, including your
> printer, are not really off when you use the switch to turn it off.
>
> John B wrote:
>
>> I've managed to get an EEPROM info print, but cannot now get the
>> machine out of
>> service mode. Every time I send something to print, it reports it is
>> offline!
>> How do I reset it to normal please? I need to do some more printing!
>> HELP! I
>> have tried lots of options but without success.
>>
>> John B.
>>
>> --
>> Remove <nospam> from email address to reply
>> "drc023" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>>
>>> Look at the 09/17/05 reply by Tony to the thread "Canon iP4000 service
>>> manual" . The message contains the exact information needed not only
>>> on how
>>> to reset the waste ink counter, but also how to print a status
>>> information
>>> page. Page counts (total and broken down by paper type) are
>>> included. This
>>> information is also in the .rar manual on pages 1-15 and 1-16 a
>>> description
>>> of all the fields is available on pages 1-17 to 1-19.
>>> --
>>> Ron
>>>
>>> "John B" <john@hawkhurst.nospamf2s.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D gjusr$jrb$1@news.freedom2surf.net...

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:40:06 AM

Bob Headrick wrote:
> "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>You can set almost anything electronic back to zero (or start up) by turning
>>it off and pulling the plug or removing the batteries.
>

> Except for information stored in Non Volatile Memory (NVM). Information such
> as the waste ink level would be stored in NVM and not subject to "forgetting"
> in case of a power failure.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Headrick

True, I was simplifying a bit (maybe too much).
His problem was not getting rid of actual stored
data but getting out of a (or specifically the
position in a program). It is not likely that the
steps in a program are going to be recorded in
NVM. Kill the brain should be a first attempt and
works in most or many cases where you get into a
situation by punching buttons that you just can't
seem to get out of. But even some stuff that may
appear to be in non volatile memory requires an
energy source such as a capacitor, so removing a
battery for a period may get rid of it.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:50:33 AM

zakezuke wrote:
>>not if it write to an eprom. what do you know anyway
>

> I think perhaps it might be better if you use the term NVM (non
> volitile memory). When you get specific and say "e-prom" you apear
> foolish. You see you can really write to an e-prom, not without
> shoving it under a UV light erasing it's contents and re-writing to it.
> This isn't practical, not in a printer. What you mean is an ee-prom
> (double e prom) or flash-rom, and even that might not be correct as
> there is also NV-ram which is basicly ram with a battery piggybacked on
> it. These are handy as you can easily pop out the chip and place it
> elsewhere and the values remain the same and isn't limited to a certain
> number of writes. And you also have ordinary battery backed up ram
> which in IBM PC clone terms is called the CMOS battery (Complex
> Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) which is such an odd term to use for basicly
> ram. But it was a new idea to have these values in ram. It's an
> understandable mistake for those not experenced with electronics. NVM
> (non volitile memory) is a good term to use when you don't happen to
> know specificly what the device is using, which there is no shame in
> that as I never took the time to disassemble my printer and look at the
> sprnt board and evaluate what form of NVM it uses.
>
> I hope in the future when you harass someone it's helpful to actually
> know the terminology so you don't appear foolish when making someone
> else loook foolish. I know I can change the parameters on the fly and
> it doesn't take a hour to set into NVM so there is no chance in hell
> it's an E-prom.

I hope you didn't mean what you said in the last
paragraph. :)
That is, "... so you don't appear foolish when
making someone else look foolish." I think that
he seldom makes anyone else look foolish, I
certainly don't think he made me look foolish.
But then, I don't normally read anything that he
says. In fact, I don't understand why anyone does
or responds to him.
September 21, 2005 6:46:04 PM

> I hope you didn't mean what you said in the last
> paragraph. :)

I ment he was trying to make you apear foolish but failed. Your
statement about removing the batteries to clear the memory. Valid
enough except in cases where the battery is hidden or the printer is
using something that doesn't require a battery.

> In fact, I don't understand why anyone does
> or responds to him.

Perhaps because much of his information is wrong... dead wrong, and it
might be helpful to other users who don't have experence to see
someone's misconceptions corrected.
September 23, 2005 6:28:04 PM

> I for one have never seen a battery in a printer other than for a portable
> printer

I have to admit, I've not actually "seen" a battery in a printer. But
given the fact that the average PC still uses battery backed up bios
settings, it's clearly not impossible. I know in the old days NVRAM
was used in some printers which was basicly a ram chip backed up by a
battery which was picky backed on the chip and encased in plastic and
glued on with epoxy. Eventually after years, or decades these
batteries would fail. The reccomended solution was to buy a new NVRAM
chip which were typicaly in the $20 range the last time I looked.
Alternativly one could scrap away the epoxy and get at the wires
between the piggy back, cut them and solder on a new battery pack. In
a pinch one could if they were careful short out the battery to clear
the memory. You would only do this on systems that absolutely had to
be back online as soon as possible and you couldn't wait for a
replacement.

I don't know what canon is using. I suspect it's a EEPROM.. probally
because that's what the service manual says.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:39:04 AM

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I hope you didn't mean what you said in the last
> > paragraph. :)
>
> I ment he was trying to make you apear foolish but failed. Your
> statement about removing the batteries to clear the memory. Valid
> enough except in cases where the battery is hidden or the printer is
> using something that doesn't require a battery.
>
> > In fact, I don't understand why anyone does
> > or responds to him.
>
> Perhaps because much of his information is wrong... dead wrong, and it
> might be helpful to other users who don't have experence to see
> someone's misconceptions corrected.

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 4:58:05 AM

Whoa! I think somebody fell off the back of the
boat and thought he was on the bow. I've never
seen a battery in a printer either. So? Nobody
said anything about a battery in a printer, if you
were referring to my statement. It was a general
electronics statement and someone should have
notice the "or."

ngreplies wrote:
> I for one have never seen a battery in a printer other than for a portable
> printer.
>

> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>>I hope you didn't mean what you said in the last
>>>paragraph. :)
>>
>>I ment he was trying to make you apear foolish but failed. Your
>>statement about removing the batteries to clear the memory. Valid
>>enough except in cases where the battery is hidden or the printer is
>>using something that doesn't require a battery.
>>

>>>In fact, I don't understand why anyone does
>>>or responds to him.
>>
>>Perhaps because much of his information is wrong... dead wrong, and it
>>might be helpful to other users who don't have experence to see
>>someone's misconceptions corrected.

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 5:04:41 AM

zakezuke wrote:
>>I for one have never seen a battery in a printer other than for a portable
>>printer
>

> I have to admit, I've not actually "seen" a battery in a printer. But
> given the fact that the average PC still uses battery backed up bios
> settings, it's clearly not impossible. I know in the old days NVRAM
> was used in some printers which was basicly a ram chip backed up by a
> battery which was picky backed on the chip and encased in plastic and
> glued on with epoxy. Eventually after years, or decades these
> batteries would fail. The reccomended solution was to buy a new NVRAM
> chip which were typicaly in the $20 range the last time I looked.
> Alternativly one could scrap away the epoxy and get at the wires
> between the piggy back, cut them and solder on a new battery pack. In
> a pinch one could if they were careful short out the battery to clear
> the memory. You would only do this on systems that absolutely had to
> be back online as soon as possible and you couldn't wait for a
> replacement.
>
> I don't know what canon is using. I suspect it's a EEPROM.. probally
> because that's what the service manual says.

All this about a battery in a printer? It was a
general statement about electronic gadgets which
includes computers, cameras, phones, recorders,
GPS, etc. Need I continue? It is still a valid
point. When the damn thing misbehaves and you
can't get out of a loop, turn the thing off and
pull the plug (if it has one) and pull the battery
(if it has one).
!