Sign in with
Your question

What's a normal C2D temp. when it's running hard?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 23, 2006 9:27:23 PM

First, my system specs:

E6400
975XBX mobo
Maxtor 250 GB SATA
2 sticks of Corsair DDR2 1 GB, 675 MHz
3DFuzion 7300GS 256MB PCI-E
Antec Super LANBOY ATX; 2-120mm fans
Zalman CNPS 8000

This is my first system build, and overall, I'm pleased. Core Temp beta 0.9.0.91 shows the system idling anywhere between 39 c and 44 c. When I fire up several apps at once (specifically, Winamp, using the visualization and an MP3 encoder), the temp rises to anywhere between 49 c and 55 c.

Is this normal? I was hoping a HSF that cost $50 would do better. What do you think?

Thanks.
September 23, 2006 10:00:32 PM

Core 2 should run 39c-44c in idle and no more then 59c on full load. More likely around 51c-53c. I'm guessing that the temp drops very quickly (within seconds) back to 39c - 43c when the load is reduced. This is normal and expected performance.

Here is the Intel site that defines the thermal properties of the Core 2's:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/3132...

See chapter 5. It clearly shows that you should never get above 60.1c

Bottom line: If your getting above 53c, reseat the HSF or get a better one. I like the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, but any of the high end HSF's should work. Check out the "sticky" in the Overclocking CPU forum here on TG. The writer put together a great list of HSF for use with the Core 2. Make sure you apply thermal paste correctly. There are many posts with this info in the CPU forum.

Interstingly, this has probably been one of the most popular questions in the forumz since the Core 2 came out.

My Rig:
Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for Now)
Intel D975XBXLRK
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
74GB 10k Raptor
ATI X1900XTX
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD OEM Burners (x2)
Ultra X-Finity 600w SLi Certified PS
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case
September 23, 2006 10:02:34 PM

If you want better, lap (sand and polish) the CPU and heatsink to a mirror finish on a truly flat and smooth surface using high end grit sand paper.

Like 4000 grit as finish. There are plenty of how-tos on this out there, google for them.

Basically, if you polish both to a mirror shine, you'll get better contact. Also, if you applied thermal grease, apply the least amount to get coverage. Basically imagine if you could apply it like a spray thin layer, that would be the best.

Try to use good thermal grease, like Artic Silver.

Make sure you have good airflow in your case. Leaving the side off often makes airflow worse, if you have good fans, and good airflow design.

If it really bothers you, you could always get that one case that has about a 25cm side fan.

If you reused a case, remove as much dust as possible, without air-dusting it all over your room, or into the fan blades. Avoid using air dusters near those tiny fans, they'll just plug up and stop spinning.

Under 60 full load is acceptable though.

Enjoy.

John
Related resources
September 23, 2006 10:17:22 PM

Yes, the temperature drops back down pretty quickly.

So, if I hear you right, I shouldn't be concerned that my temp is as high as 55 c when the CPU is being run hard? Again, please keep in mind, I'm not using the stock HSF but one I was told is pretty good.
September 23, 2006 10:38:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, the temperature drops back down pretty quickly.

So, if I hear you right, I shouldn't be concerned that my temp is as high as 55 c when the CPU is being run hard? Again, please keep in mind, I'm not using the stock HSF but one I was told is pretty good.

Advice is always offered but results are never guaranteed...

Having said that, the Zalman CNPS8000 is not on Wusy's Core2 OC guide for HSF's, but unless you are overclocking, it's a darn good HSF and should be just fine. 55c is well within specs for highly loaded Core2's and as long as it drops back quickly to 39c - 43c when load is removed I wouldn't worry. You could go back and reseat the HSF and make sure you didn't apply too much thermal paste. It would probably make you feel better, but I'm not sure it would make any difference. I went down the exact same path you are on right now when I saw 53c temps on my new X6800. Freaked me out. I did lots of research. Two months later, it's just the temps Intel designed.

Just watch it for a few weeks, and like me, you will learn not to worry about it. Hey, you could be answering these questions next...
September 23, 2006 11:01:54 PM

I've got an E6600 with no OC, with a stock cooler. I've had it running Seti@Home for over 24 hours on both cores and I haven't seen my temps go over 44C (both ASUS Probe and Core Temp). I idle at around 35C. Ambient is somewhere around 20C. From what I've read on these forums, my temps seem on the low side.
September 23, 2006 11:05:56 PM

Wow my E6600 w/ Zalman CNPS9500 AT idles at 25C and maxed out hits around 39C When overclocked to 3.Ghz it idle arond low 30's and maxes out in the mid 40's. Temp is the room is 25C. Now I pretty certain the numbers from the MB may be a little low but your CPU's seems to be running hotter than normal.
September 23, 2006 11:15:13 PM

It could be MB dependent as the MB has the temp probe built in. The utilities may read differently from the different MB's. The X6800 I have runs exactly where Intel said it should and I'm sure they did their tests on the Intel MB's. As I said before, I wouldn't worry about 55c.

What MB's are you guys running?

Check out this thread - it's still active talking about this same subject.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/built-Conroe-Sy...
September 24, 2006 2:10:28 AM

Out of curiosity, how are you all measuring the temps? Are you using Core Temp beta, or something else? I've noticed different programs offering different readings.

For example, when I run the stress test that's included with Intel Desktop Utilities (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/idu/index...), IDU says the "processor zone temperature" is 48c, the "system zone 1 temperature" is 40c and the system zone 2 temperature" is 35c.

Core Temp beta, by contrast, shows "Core #1" at 53c and "Core #2" at 52c. (It also shows the "TCaseMax" is 85c -- what the hell is that?).

RightMark CPU Clock/Power Utility ver. 2.15 puts the temperature at whopping 66 c, which is 5 degrees over the thermal limit.

Which one is right?
September 24, 2006 6:31:55 AM

Quote:
I've got an E6600 with no OC, with a stock cooler. I've had it running Seti@Home for over 24 hours on both cores and I haven't seen my temps go over 44C (both ASUS Probe and Core Temp). I idle at around 35C. Ambient is somewhere around 20C. From what I've read on these forums, my temps seem on the low side.

I wouldnt say your temps are low.

For my E6600, on a stock Intel cooler, with no mods temps are:

Open air idle............23.5'C

Open case idle........ 26'-27'C
Open case loaded....29'C

Closed case idle......29'C (New filter)
Closed case idle......32''C (Dirty Filter)

Closed case loaded..32'C (New fliter)
Closed case loaded..36'C (dirty filter)

The highest I have seen the CPU at is 36'C. The mobo, on the other hand (asus P5WDH) has hit over 50'C
September 24, 2006 6:51:08 AM

Again, in the interest of comparing apples to apples, what mechanism are you using to measure the temps you just gave?
September 24, 2006 2:49:41 PM

Quote:
It could be MB dependent as the MB has the temp probe built in. The utilities may read differently from the different MB's. The X6800 I have runs exactly where Intel said it should and I'm sure they did their tests on the Intel MB's. As I said before, I wouldn't worry about 55c.

What MB's are you guys running?

Check out this thread - it's still active talking about this same subject.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/built-Conroe-Sy...

P5W DU using Asus Probe
The funny thing is that air inside the case is around 30C so there is no way the cpu with my cooling setup could be any lower than that. The case air temp taken with a digital thermometer.
a c 99 à CPUs
September 24, 2006 3:46:32 PM

I have been reading these threads with disbelief that these CPUs run as hot as they do. They are supposed to have a 65W TDP, which means an absolute maximum dissipation of about 90 W. That's very similar to the Athlon 64 X2 line and most of those CPUs idle in the 20s to low 30s and don't hit above 50 C full load (mine is 25-26 idle/42-44 C full-load) on the stock heatsink.

Is Intel's stock heatsink that crappy or are these chips just running that hot despite the decent TDP? I have not had an Intel desktop chip that needed a heatsink (286, 486DX2, P4-M notebook, built a dual Xeon worstation with huge copper 'sinks.) Ive had AMD desktop chips with heatsinks, but AMD's heatsinks are decent but nothing special if you don't have an FX. So I have a hard time believing that AMD has a much superior heatsink or that Intel's sucks that badly. I know that it was not sufficient to cool some of the fastest Prescotts and Smithfields, but it should be fine with the Core 2 Duos as they are cooler than the P4 Northwoods that weren't know to run excessively hot. Would somebody care to explain?
September 24, 2006 4:04:46 PM

Hi dang0001,
My E6400 is running 40C right now, basically at idle - this thread has reminded me I left my power setting 'Always On' from within Power Options! I was running some 3dMarks (but that was last week).
So 40C, with stock cooler (which is very good) and no SpeedStep...
With the SpeedStep enabled ('Minimal Power Management' setting) idle temps will plunge to ~32C using a CPU multiplier of 6 and 1.050V. CPU fan slows down to ~900RPM, too.
It will then hit 50C if I flog it (ie. Far Cry w/ the A64 texture pack). This system is very 'cold'! But I do have 50CFM exhaust fan (120mm) which totally exchanges the in-case air every ~6 seconds or so...
Anyway, no temp problems here!
I am using my ABit uGuru v/3034, but (although I love ABit) the Asus tools are clearly superior.
I have Everest Home Edition but it does not recognize Intel P965, LoL
I will check those Intel tools mentioned - or are they for only Intel mobos?
Any other temperature tool suggestions?
Regards
September 24, 2006 5:41:42 PM

All this talk and we still have no idea where we really stand. I use CoreTemp Beta and Speedfan for the measurements. The included utility with my Intel D975XBXLRK (Bad Axe) motherboard does not work with the Conroe's yet. Go figure.

I'm not worried about temps though, the Core2's have built in safeguards to shut them down before any damage could occur. I have the ThermalTake Big Typhoon HSF which is very good. I have been running the system for two months (I bought my X6800 and D975XBX on the day Conroe came out) with no issues at all. The system fly's and I frag everything I need to on BF2...

Core2's rule and all else drools!

Sorry, got carried away...
September 24, 2006 5:55:40 PM

Quote:
Again, in the interest of comparing apples to apples, what mechanism are you using to measure the temps you just gave?

Idle temps taken from:
BIOS
Asus PC Probe II
MBM5
Hmonitor 2.4

Loaded temps taken from:
Asus PC Probe II
MBM5
Hmonitor 2.4

All moniters indicate within +/- 1'C of each other. They are also +/- 1'C of the BIOS for idle temps.
I tried the "Core Temp" utility, however I have disregarded its readings as they did not match the others by a gross margin.
I suspect the "Core Temp" utility has a formula error as the difference between its temps and the other monitors is suspiciously close to 32
September 24, 2006 6:45:42 PM

Quote:

I tried the "Core Temp" utility, however I have disregarded its readings as they did not match the others by a gross margin.
I suspect the "Core Temp" utility has a formula error as the difference between its temps and the other monitors is suspiciously close to 32

Turpit, you lend credence to a theory I'm starting to develop that the Core Temp product is not accurate. If I rely on the Intel Desktop Utility to measure temperatures, I have NO problem WHATSOEVER.

Separately, The OGS, you mentioned tweaking settings within Power Options. Can you explain this in language a relative Noob would understand? You're not talking about the Power Options within the control panel of Windows XP, are you?
September 25, 2006 12:37:05 AM

Start > Control Panel > Power Options, yup.
These settings control your SpeedStep (or Cool & Quiet, whatever).
'Always On' will disable any throttling and run you full speed, full voltage.
'Minimal Power Management' will enable the SpeedStep or C & Q.
I always took that literally, as minimal power-management (as in turning power-mangement off) but it seems that what they mean is minimal-power management. A vast difference in meaning, heheh.
L8R
September 25, 2006 1:11:06 AM

My e6600 runs about 39c on idle, and 52-54c running Prime 95 for a few hours.

In a Thermaltake Tsunami case with front and rear 120 fans and a side 80 for the cpu.

I am on my fourth HS, stock intel was 4 higher idle, 58 on load, scythe katana was 2 higher idle, and about the same load. Third was an asus unit, same as the katana.

Current is a Silverstone NT05, and I have an Alpine Cooling freezer 7 pro arriving tomorrow.

My temps are measured with asus probe II( on my p5b-deluxe wifi) and I have a x1900xtx in the case.

I also have coretemp running, they jive +/- 2 degree. Seems the core temp updates all the time, asus every 5 seconds.

After reading about 40+ of these posts, I am convinced some of these are "cooler" chips and some run hotter.

Ambient may help, I have noticed our canadian brothers run quite cooler than the lower usa chips.
September 25, 2006 1:36:20 AM

Quote:

Idle temps taken from:
BIOS
Asus PC Probe II
MBM5
Hmonitor 2.4

Loaded temps taken from:
Asus PC Probe II
MBM5
Hmonitor 2.4

All moniters indicate within +/- 1'C of each other. They are also +/- 1'C of the BIOS for idle temps.

Or maybe the others read from the motherboard sensor and not the one built inside the core.

Using the Asus probe which reading is crazy low and not possible based on ambient temperature of the inside of the case and room suggest to me that Core Temp Beta seems more accurate.

Just put thermometer inside your case near the cpu. Close the case and check it in ten minutes.

Active coolers will not cool your CPU lower than that temp. I bet it at least 26C with the max theoretical cooling ability of air cooling being about 85% of ambient difference. In this case that around put at 28C. So I think they are just getting the reading of from a different place. Which would explain why they're different.

Here is the formula with my current temps cpu core idle 42C (Core Temp Beta) Asus probe 29C Temp inside the computer is 26.66C

42-26.66=13.34
13.34x.85=11.34
42.26-11.34=30.92

Pretty cool how the number add up and explain both readings. Assuming they were correct you could measure the effectiveness of your CPU cooler.
!