Computer Gurus Please Help!

Katch13

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I have been having a trouble with my Western Digital drive as of late. When I try and access any data in the drive, my computer restarts randomly by itself. I have a couple of Western Digital drives and Seagate drives that do the same thing as well when I have them connected to my system and try and access them. Right when I go into the drive through Windows Explorer and try to access some files and folders, the computer will restart randomly when I am browsing through them without any error message. The mouse will just lock up and the computer will restart.

Can anyone help me please? The same thing also occurs in safe mode as well. I am running on Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 and also have a 600w Xfinity PSU, note that this issue is occuring with 2 other power supplies I have as well.

I am also able to feely navigate through the files on the master HDD (the one with Windows installed), this only occurs when accessing files on the other drives.

Thanks.

*Oh yeah forgot to mention this. It seems these issues have occured when Windows becomes corrupt. Recently I installed Vista as a dual boot on my main harddrive. I no longer needed Vista, so I deleted all of the data on the partition that contained Vista through Explorer (straight up delete, no format, stupid move I know). I restarted my computer after this and Windows XP would no longer boot up. So I disconnected all of the connected drives except for the master drive and formatted. Now this is happening post format.

I have been having a trouble with my Western Digital drive as of late. When I try and access any data in the drive, my computer restarts randomly by itself. I have a couple of Western Digital drives and Seagate drives that do the same thing as well when I have them connected to my system and try and access them. Right when I go into the drive through Windows Explorer and try to access some files and folders, the computer will restart randomly when I am browsing through them without any error message. The mouse will just lock up and the computer will restart.

Can anyone help me please? The same thing also occurs in safe mode as well. I am running on Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 and also have a 600w Xfinity PSU, note that this issue is occuring with 2 other power supplies I have as well.

I am also able to feely navigate through the files on the master HDD (the one with Windows installed), this only occurs when accessing files on the other drives.

Thanks.

*Oh yeah forgot to mention this. It seems these issues have occured when Windows becomes corrupt. Recently I installed Vista as a dual boot on my main harddrive. I no longer needed Vista, so I deleted all of the data on the partition that contained Vista through Explorer (straight up delete, no format, stupid move I know). I restarted my computer after this and Windows XP would no longer boot up. So I disconnected all of the connected drives except for the master drive and formatted. Now this is happening post format.

Try downloading Western Digital's data lifeguard Tool and Diagnostics and running it. HTH

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The description of your problem is good except your specs are missing from your post.
Are the drive Sata or parallel ata?
List your components.
Have you installed your motherboard drivers after fresh install?
Are you overclocked or missing driver updates for your graphics card?
If you had any of these drives connected when you loaded Vista you may have an access violation (bummer)

Katch13

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

Thanks.

Try downloading Western Digital's data lifeguard Tool and Diagnostics and running it. HTH

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Katch13

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
The description of your problem is good except your specs are missing from your post.
Are the drive Sata or parallel ata?
List your components.
Have you installed your motherboard drivers after fresh install?
Are you overclocked or missing driver updates for your graphics card?
If you had any of these drives connected when you loaded Vista you may have an access violation (bummer)

Sorry bout that, knew I was missing something.

-AMD 3500+ 64

-Xfinity 600w PSU

-DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

-CORSAIR XMS 2x512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model CMX512-3200XL

-eVGA 256-P2-N584-AR Geforce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card w/ ZALMAN VF900

-Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (Primary HDD w/ XP installed)

-Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive (this is one of the HDD's where the problem is occuring)

-Seagate Barracuda 80gb HDD 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive )this is the other HDD where the problem is occuring)

The same problem is occuring on the Seagate just like the WD Caviar. The Seagate was not connected to the computer at any point in time like the WD Caviar was when Vista was installed.

I have not installed any flashes or upgrades to the BIOS. Nothing OC'ed except for the VC.

I can go through Explorer and I can see all of the files there and intact, but when I do this the computer does the restart thing.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Drop everything down to stock speeds and or voltages and retry.
run prime 95 to look for hardware errors before you attempt to do another clean install.
make sure you have all the motherboards drivers and bios updates installed.

Katch13

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Drop everything down to stock speeds and or voltages and retry.
run prime 95 to look for hardware errors before you attempt to do another clean install.
make sure you have all the motherboards drivers and bios updates installed.

Alright I'll try some of this and post it here. I ran Western Digital Diagnostics, it passed the quick test but once I did the extended test the computer restarted again right when it started testing.