PDAs on Stargate Atlantis

a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 12:55:10 AM

Cool, they were using PDAs (couldn't tell for sure, but looked like ppc) in
durable housings on Stargate Atlantis tonight as tracking/main computer
link props. I guess the laptop versions got in the way of their
blasters... ;)

More about : pdas stargate atlantis

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 9:50:19 AM

There is a short moment like that when watching irobot. Will Smith pulls out
this blue tooth headset/mike when he gets on his motorcycle.

It was ironic that the future was being portrayed with something I had just
priced a couple of nights before.

"xTenn" <xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote in message
> Cool, they were using PDAs (couldn't tell for sure, but looked like ppc)
> in
> durable housings on Stargate Atlantis tonight as tracking/main computer
> link props. I guess the laptop versions got in the way of their
> blasters... ;)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 4:52:18 PM

Yes, Stargate Atlantis last night was cool with the PDA sensor maps -
Now if someone could only come up with a way to track kids via GPS and
send an audio stream of what they're saying - now THAT would be usefull.

David H

Chance Hopkins wrote:

> There is a short moment like that when watching irobot. Will Smith pulls out
> this blue tooth headset/mike when he gets on his motorcycle.
>
> It was ironic that the future was being portrayed with something I had just
> priced a couple of nights before.
>
> "xTenn" <xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote in message
>
>>Cool, they were using PDAs (couldn't tell for sure, but looked like ppc)
>>in
>>durable housings on Stargate Atlantis tonight as tracking/main computer
>>link props. I guess the laptop versions got in the way of their
>>blasters... ;)

January 22, 2005 9:28:33 PM

Chance Hopkins wrote:
> It was ironic that the future was being portrayed with something I had
> just priced a couple of nights before.

Well, now you know why the communicators of the original StarTrek series
have been replaced with badges in TNG.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 9:28:34 PM

Reply to message from "René" <kar98@the-coalition.us> (Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:
28:33) about ""Re: PDAs on Stargate Atlantis"":

R> Well, now you know why the communicators of the original StarTrek
R> series have been replaced with badges in TNG.

lol. At least I never had to twist a knob while talking on a cell phone,
can't say the same for Kirk and his communicator...

But given all the Trek episodes where they couldn't communicate with the
ship I am pretty sure that today's cellphones are indeed the forerunners of
tomorrow's communicators. ;)
January 23, 2005 1:26:25 AM

xTenn wrote:
> lol. At least I never had to twist a knob while talking on a cell phone,
> can't say the same for Kirk and his communicator...

I dunno, seeing some of the amazing stunts some of the drivers around here
are pulling, it seems like they /are/ "twisting their knobs" while talking
on the cell. ;)
January 23, 2005 1:27:57 AM

David C. Holley wrote:
> Yes, Stargate Atlantis last night was cool with the PDA sensor maps -
> Now if someone could only come up with a way to track kids via GPS and
> send an audio stream of what they're saying - now THAT would be usefull.

That's available. Question is just how much do you want to spend and would
you like to live in a society where those devices are as popular as
digital wristwatches.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 1:27:58 AM

>> Now if someone could only come up with a way to track kids via GPS and
>> send an audio stream of what they're saying - now THAT would be usefull.
After a child was kidnapped and killed down south from outside of
car wash last year during the daylight and the video was broadcast
often on TV alot of parents wanted to get their kids "chipped" similar
to the way pets are chippeed. Also a number of cell phones provide
GPS technology (the new Nextel phones for example.)

I would add prior to 9/11 a number schools banned cell phones. Well
in the wake of 9/11 a number of parents lobbied the schools to reverse
that decision and allow cell phones in school.

So the GPS already exists and is used.

a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 1:27:58 AM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:27:57 GMT, "René" <kar98@the-coalition.us>
wrote:

>David C. Holley wrote:
>> Yes, Stargate Atlantis last night was cool with the PDA sensor maps -
>> Now if someone could only come up with a way to track kids via GPS and
>> send an audio stream of what they're saying - now THAT would be usefull.
>
>That's available. Question is just how much do you want to spend and would
>you like to live in a society where those devices are as popular as
>digital wristwatches.

The phones already have cameras built in their used for taking
pictures of stuff already.