I need help, not going to plan

rob_jeffers

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hi, you will probably hate me for posting another topic about the pentium 805d. I read the guide on overclocking it but im really stuck.

I have a asrock conroe xfire-esata2 mobo, and 2gb gskill 677mhz,

Ok, my bios is obviously diffent from the bios they used in the guide, but i thought i was getting the idea. (before i continue, i need to make clear that this is my first own built pc, and i am a complete noob not knowing all termanology)

I put the latencies to 4-4-4-8 just like it says in the guide, but they could get higher ram freqs. mine will only go up to 533. And increasing the freq of the cpu just makes the system not reboot, still on, fans ect, no responce from power switch or reset and monitor goes idle. I turn the psu off and on, and it tells me that the setting didnt work and it has put them to default.

I dont know what i have to do, and i feel as if i dived into a very deep pool, but i am a learner and i have to learn somewhere. SO if any of you could help me out, i would really appreciate it.

And what confuses me, is that the memory is dual chanel but on the boot up screen it says single channel memory. ? I am really confused

No offence but if you have no more OCing knowledge than your post indicates you'd best not do it, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing when it comes to OCing, research, study, and learn, then do!

If you have to post this question in the first place, you don't know what you're doing, once you learn!, you won't have to ask anyone anything, try Googling your research and OCing articles, and you'll find every bit of information you need to OC just about anything on the planet.

holymacaroni

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
ok just to anwser your question:
The Pentium D 805 works with a front-side-bus clock rate of 133 MHz (533 QDR). Thus, the design of the chipset dictates a maximum memory clock speed of DDR2-533.
Straight from the article from tomshardware.
You will need to increase your FSB to lemme say 167mhz.
I think you have the stock cooler on it heres what you do with it: grab it, slam it with a hammer and than throw it out of your window and buy a good fan. (or watercooling if you have 2 much money)

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
And what confuses me, is that the memory is dual chanel but on the boot up screen it says single channel memory. ? I am really confused

I'm guessing that your RAM is 2x1GB sticks, right? In that case, there should be two certain slots on the mobo which you need to use to have dual-channel. Check your motherboard manual.

I'll second that recommendation to toss the stock cooler; when you get a better one, make sure that you also get Arctic Silver thermal grease.

I agree with 4ryan6; gather every little piece of knowledge BEFORE you overclock. Or just be happy with everything at stock speeds (like I am).

rob_jeffers

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Yer, i did buy the zalman cooler which is used in the article, and i did buy some artic silver aswell, i will just have a ponder on the intenet to see what i need to know, do you have any good sites.