New rig (CHANGE #4) opinions pleeeze

cheesey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Okay, here's what Ive got it narrowed down to after many suggestions by very nice people here on THF. This is the 4th time Ive changed it so by now Im used to the constructive criticism. :roll: Everyone has been a huge huge help on this. THANK GAWDDD this is free advice, Id owe my life savings to you guys if it wasnt! 8O

(Gaming and home use, MINOR OC'ing later on)

Update COOLER MASTER Mystique 631 RC-631-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

XFX PVT73GUGD3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Antec NeoHE 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024A-6400 - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KSRTL 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail

And also, the reason I used the WD HD instead of the Seagate was the Retail VS OEM thing. I dont know what OEM comes with now-a-days. And is that graphics card okay :?: I mean if anyone thinks going with the Seagate HD and then transfering that money difference to the Video card Id do it. Just dont know what Ill get with an OEM HD! AAAAARRRRRGHHHH The decisions are endless :evil:

P.S. Already have the CD/rom, DVD burner and floppy drive, keyboard mouse etc.

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
OEM just means that you'll only be receiving the hard-drive itself, nothing more (i.e., retail box, paper work, etc.). You will still have the Seagate manufacturer's warranty, which is 5 years, as opposed to Western Digital's 3 year warranty.
From the reviews I've read, the Seagate 320GB seems to be recommended beyond it's WD counter-part. It's the drive I ended up buying and am very satisfied with it. I can highly recommend it to you.
Link ($94.99)

Don't know how much you'd be spending on that WD drive, but the value of the Seagate in that deal is undisputed.

The graphics card looks good. Also depends on what you're planning to do with it (what games?)... but it'll definitely perform well in today's top games with at least some eye candy. The ATI cards are literally better across the boards as it stands (price/performance), but the 7600GT is a nice cheap alternative and should suit you fine.

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, case, & PSU all look great. Good picks.

ArbY

the Retail VS OEM thing. I dont know what OEM comes with now-a-days.
If the motherboard comes with SATA cables (and it does) you're good to go with OEM hard drives.
13-131-028-05.JPG

Besides the name of the games you play its important to know what resolution you use to play the games. A video card that runs your games fine at 1280x1024 might not run those same games well if you play them at 1600x1200 resolution.

cheesey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Thanks that really helped out on the OEM info. I dropped down to a 7600GS vid card. It was cheaper and the reviews I read were really really good for the type of gaming and use Ill get out of it. Thanks again soooo much! :p