DIY RADIATOR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

mikekosk

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
ok today i salvaged 40 FEET OF SOFT COPPER!!! from numerous fridges. I was wondering if i could turn it into a radiator? Think this would work?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
ok today i salvaged 40 FEET OF SOFT COPPER!!! from numerous fridges. I was wondering if i could turn it into a radiator? Think this would work?

I think it could work but it might be alot of work ? I have often thought about taking the plunge and building something myself but I was thinking of picking up a nice aluminum radiator at the junk yard (something smallish like out of a motor cycle or something) well if you get a nice hot Prescott you could use the copper tubeing and make yourself a nice moonshine still ! LOL

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
you would have to coil it up a fair bit 40ft is really long.

Should work copper conducts heat quite well

how thick are the tubes?

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
inpractical, costly, and low performance

enough said

high performing radiators are carfully frabricated with thin box shaped tubes, ocndensor style round tubes are obsolete years ago, use it if you want high restriction and low performance

crapback

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
round soft copper will not restrict flow... it just lacks the necessary surface area for heat dissipation... the flat tubes in radiators are actually far more restrictive, but necessary to "fuse" the fins to to provide surface area

that, and you would be better off saving 40ft of soft copper for a still...lol

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
no, trust me it is more restricitve, just do tests on big round tubed, alu car radiators vs. flat box shaped tubes. it partially depends on the fact that there are many many more 180 degree turns in the condensor style radiator