Driver required for new PPC?

January 22, 2005 8:21:15 PM

Hello,

I am currently an iPAQ user and plan to buy a DELL PPC for upgrade. In my
PC which is a corporate one, I don't have any administrator privilege. I am
wondering if I can just plug in the DELL cable and do nothing else to get
the PPC working in the PC. Thanks!

Andrew
Hong Kong

More about : driver required ppc

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:21:16 PM

Andrew,

Since your PC already has the necessary software to sync a P/PC already, you
should be able to just plug it in. But the ultimate answer will depend on
if your administrator has Group Policies or other security measures in place
that prevent such things.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Andrew" <akylo@iee.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am currently an iPAQ user and plan to buy a DELL PPC for upgrade. In my
> PC which is a corporate one, I don't have any administrator privilege. I
> am
> wondering if I can just plug in the DELL cable and do nothing else to get
> the PPC working in the PC. Thanks!
>
> Andrew
> Hong Kong

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:21:16 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:21:15 +0800, "Andrew" <akylo@iee.org> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am currently an iPAQ user and plan to buy a DELL PPC for upgrade. In my
>PC which is a corporate one, I don't have any administrator privilege. I am
>wondering if I can just plug in the DELL cable and do nothing else to get
>the PPC working in the PC. Thanks!
>
>Andrew
>Hong Kong

The Dell needs a driver that is on the CD that comes with the device
and can be downloaded too.

Yes you have to have the driver or your device won't be
recognized.

BTW, I never sync with any computer at work, too many other users on
the sytem and they are sloppy about viruses/malware/etc.

January 22, 2005 8:21:17 PM

The likelyhood is high that the usb "identifier" file is not going to
contain the usb id of the new device. This will be necessary for any
usb connect.

The easiest approach to this is to find wceusbsh.inf on the cd that
comes with the new device, right click the file and select "install"

next question... how old is the other device and what version of
activesync are you using? Think there have been two "steps" in ppc os
versions that required newer versions of activesync... but I would not
recommend upgrading activesync unless it is necesary.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:21:17 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:42:36 -0600, "Clinton Fitch \(Clinton Fitch
\(Dot\) Com!\)" <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote:

>Andrew,
>
>Since your PC already has the necessary software to sync a P/PC already, you
>should be able to just plug it in. But the ultimate answer will depend on
>if your administrator has Group Policies or other security measures in place
>that prevent such things.
>
>Regards,
Wrong. I had an Ipaq prior to the Dell, you needed the Dell
driver for the unit to be recognized.

The driver is not part of Activesync.

January 22, 2005 8:21:17 PM

You really don't have to worry much about that on a PPC. That sort of stuff
has not been found in the wild. PC virusus could conceivably be carried by
the PPC, but they would have to be in an e-mail attachment, or a document
you sync'd and then launched. You wouldn't be syncing with just any PC at
work anyway would you? It would be yours, and I would hope you or your IT
department has taken steps to prevent such occurrences. For Andrew, if the
environment is such that he can't install software, I expect the other
security aspects are taken care of as well. If he does need to update AS and
the drivers, I'd recommend he just ask his IT folks to do it. If he already
has an iPAQ on there, I expect they aren't opposed to it being there, they
just don't want users putting on software willy-nilly, which is one way you
get all that viruses/malware/etc

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Amy Gray" <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:21:15 +0800, "Andrew" <akylo@iee.org> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am currently an iPAQ user and plan to buy a DELL PPC for upgrade. In
my
> >PC which is a corporate one, I don't have any administrator privilege. I
am
> >wondering if I can just plug in the DELL cable and do nothing else to get
> >the PPC working in the PC. Thanks!
> >
> >Andrew
> >Hong Kong
> >
> The Dell needs a driver that is on the CD that comes with the device
> and can be downloaded too.
>
> Yes you have to have the driver or your device won't be
> recognized.
>
> BTW, I never sync with any computer at work, too many other users on
> the sytem and they are sloppy about viruses/malware/etc.

News==----
Newsgroups
January 22, 2005 8:21:18 PM

I stand corrected. :-D

Thanks,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:42:36 -0600, "Clinton Fitch \(Clinton Fitch
> \(Dot\) Com!\)" <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote:
>
>>Andrew,
>>
>>Since your PC already has the necessary software to sync a P/PC already,
>>you
>>should be able to just plug it in. But the ultimate answer will depend on
>>if your administrator has Group Policies or other security measures in
>>place
>>that prevent such things.
>>
>>Regards,
> Wrong. I had an Ipaq prior to the Dell, you needed the Dell
> driver for the unit to be recognized.
>
> The driver is not part of Activesync.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
January 22, 2005 8:21:18 PM

That's not necessarily the case. I just built a new PC from scratch,
downloaded ActiveSync 3.8 from Microsoft and it recognized and connected my
Dell X50v with no issues. The Dell CD has been nowhere near that machine.
ActiveSync does come with driver information for a majority of PPCs. It can
happen that the OEM load of AS was built prior to a new PPC being released
and therefore not supporting it. OEMs can also remove other drivers. There
were some AS downloads at MS some time back that had no drivers and that
caused some issues. For the most part though, the version of AS at MS covers
most of the current PPCs, and the OEMs just provide the version of AS that
was current at the time their PPC was built.

Best thing for Andrew to do is just try it. He might be lucky.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Amy Gray" <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:42:36 -0600, "Clinton Fitch \(Clinton Fitch
> \(Dot\) Com!\)" <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote:
>
> >Andrew,
> >
> >Since your PC already has the necessary software to sync a P/PC already,
you
> >should be able to just plug it in. But the ultimate answer will depend
on
> >if your administrator has Group Policies or other security measures in
place
> >that prevent such things.
> >
> >Regards,
> Wrong. I had an Ipaq prior to the Dell, you needed the Dell
> driver for the unit to be recognized.
>
> The driver is not part of Activesync.

News==----
Newsgroups
January 22, 2005 11:57:18 PM

To clarify this "driver" issue a bit...

The "driver" is simply an ascii text file that contains all supported
WinCE devices that have the ability to connect via usb.

When any usb device connects to a PC's usb port, it "signs in" with a
unique usb identifier string... unique to each specific model.

When the pc reads this identifier string on a usb connect, it runs a
lookup and normally finds that the WinCE device is to be associated with
the ActiveSync service and then makes that "connection" by routing the
usb communications on that port to activesync.

By contrast, if you are going to use a serial or ir connection, no
"driver" is needed.

If you have activesync installed and running with an older device and
get a new PPC, the only change that (may) need to happen is to update
this usb lookup table on the pc. The list on your PC normally dates to
the devices that were available when the version and build of activesync
you are using was generated... any devices shipped thereafter are
probably not going to be recognized by the PC.

The wcesusbsh.inf file that shipped with the new device can be used to
update that table by running the "install" option.

If you are curious, open the above file on the CD using notepad and take
a look at the contents.

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:29:28 AM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:50:14 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
<sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>That's not necessarily the case. I just built a new PC from scratch,
>downloaded ActiveSync 3.8 from Microsoft and it recognized and connected my
>Dell X50v with no issues. The Dell CD has been nowhere near that machine.
That may be new in 3.8, when I installed 3.7 on my latest computer
the dell driver was required.

3.7 would not recognize the device.

When I downloaded Activesync it was at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/pocketpc/default...

January 24, 2005 3:27:26 PM

Does anyone know how to map a virtual drive on a PDA so as to access the PDA
from a PC over a wireless network? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Robert Clementz
rclementz@accelitec.com
ACCELiTEC, Inc.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 9:00:10 PM

not possible with the default apps... ppc is designed as a "client only"
device, so you can use it to access a windows PC, but a pc cannot access
it except through an activesync connection.

There are some third party apps such as a ppc ftp server that could
possibly fill your needs, but I have no specific details.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:14:05 PM

Have a look at the web server and rendezvous discovery protocol in
Pocketster : http://www.simeda.com/pocketster.html

You can publish MP3s to be sure, but it's running a full web server,
so you can browse to your 'document root' in the address bar of the
browser and open files.

Cheers - Neil

!