Unwanted copies of selected files

Whenever I select files, such as photos, to move from one folder to another,
the selected files are automatically copied within the original folder. Then
when I select the copied files to delete them, they are copied again and I
end up with copies of copies. If I work fast and only select and move a
couple of files at a time, this doesn't happen. Is this auto copying normal?
How can I stop it?

I'm using XP SP2 Home ed.
Thanks.

You aren't using the mouse correctly. You have moved the mouse why selecting something. That means copy. Movement of more than 4 pixels is a drag if the mouse button is down, then when you release it copies. Have a drink in the morning before using the computer to stop the trembling.

http://www.uscricket.com
"BMcB" <BMcB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98B0141D-65D6-4B5F-ACCD-2200DCBC5AD0@microsoft.com...
> Whenever I select files, such as photos, to move from one folder to another,
> the selected files are automatically copied within the original folder. Then
> when I select the copied files to delete them, they are copied again and I
> end up with copies of copies. If I work fast and only select and move a
> couple of files at a time, this doesn't happen. Is this auto copying normal?
> How can I stop it?
>
> I'm using XP SP2 Home ed.
> Thanks.

Sounds like the voice of experience... I just tested your
evaluation...you're right. I'm trying to go too fast and end up dragging
photos around. I must be more deliberate about moving the mouse and
clicking. Thanks.

"David Candy" wrote:

> You aren't using the mouse correctly. You have moved the mouse why selecting something. That means copy. Movement of more than 4 pixels is a drag if the mouse button is down, then when you release it copies. Have a drink in the morning before using the computer to stop the trembling.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "BMcB" <BMcB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98B0141D-65D6-4B5F-ACCD-2200DCBC5AD0@microsoft.com...
> > Whenever I select files, such as photos, to move from one folder to another,
> > the selected files are automatically copied within the original folder. Then
> > when I select the copied files to delete them, they are copied again and I
> > end up with copies of copies. If I work fast and only select and move a
> > couple of files at a time, this doesn't happen. Is this auto copying normal?
> > How can I stop it?
> >
> > I'm using XP SP2 Home ed.
> > Thanks.

Ctrl + Z (or Edit menu - Undo) if you must send mail and the bottle shop's not open yet.
Holding Control down will let you move the selection with the arrow keys. Space toggles selection state if you can't buy a drink on Sundays and need to use the computer..
http://www.uscricket.com
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:u1zggo6yEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
You aren't using the mouse correctly. You have moved the mouse why selecting something. That means copy. Movement of more than 4 pixels is a drag if the mouse button is down, then when you release it copies. Have a drink in the morning before using the computer to stop the trembling.

http://www.uscricket.com
"BMcB" <BMcB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98B0141D-65D6-4B5F-ACCD-2200DCBC5AD0@microsoft.com...
> Whenever I select files, such as photos, to move from one folder to another,
> the selected files are automatically copied within the original folder. Then
> when I select the copied files to delete them, they are copied again and I
> end up with copies of copies. If I work fast and only select and move a
> couple of files at a time, this doesn't happen. Is this auto copying normal?
> How can I stop it?
>
> I'm using XP SP2 Home ed.
> Thanks.

I'm not a shaker, I'm blind as a bat till the third coffee. I tried to read your reply at 5am, it's now 6:52am before I can see it AND the keyboard.

http://www.uscricket.com