Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Absolute Best Air Heat Sink - Help

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 24, 2006 2:52:01 AM

Hi guys.. I am sure this has been asked before. I have a x6800 (Core 2 Extreme) and I am tired of getting 9998 3dmarks 2006. I can't seem to push forward without Ortho or SuperPi crapping out on me. I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. I don't care how much noise it makes, what is the absolute best heatsink to use? I have artic silver 3.. should I spend the money and get Artic Silver 5? Is there a better thermal conductor? Should I also remove the heatpipes and add my own thermal compound?

So really, the real question I have is: What heatsink will take the most heat away from my CPU (I have about 3 Fans right on top of the CPU right now)

More about : absolute air heat sink

September 24, 2006 3:28:26 AM

Quote:
So really, the real question I have is: What heatsink will take the most heat away from my CPU (I have about 3 Fans right on top of the CPU right now)


First off, are you certain you want to stick with air cooling? Don't get me wrong, air cooling is reliable and all of my rigs are currently on air. But if you are focussed on getting more performance out of your CPU, you might want to check out a water system. If you are certain you want to air cool, there are numerous aftermarket coolers that cool significantly better than stock. I've used the Zalman 9500, the Scythe NinjaPlus, the Scythe Mine and the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro. I've gotten the lowest load temps with the Zalman, followed by the Mine, NPlus and then the AC, but the temp spread was just about 4C. The stock cooler was about 8C warmer than the Zalman. All of these numbers are for an overclocked AMD Opteron 170. I don't know how its heat production compares to your OC'ed 6800.
September 24, 2006 8:40:53 AM

In my previous 3Ghz machine, I actually created my own machined water block and used a motorcycle radiator with clear plastic tubes I got from the hardware store. It was a pain in the neck to get the epoxy/Silicon and make sure the water didn't leak out. I finally got it working and got almost nowhere with the overclocking. The x6800 is a HUGE beast when it comes to the ability to overclock. Although, I am not sure if I want to go through the hassle of spending 200+ for a watercooler and then setting it all up. I am going to replace this with something better and faster within 2-3 years.. so I figure what is the point. If I could get this sucker running well at 3600 with the 400Mhz FSB and memory running at the 800mhz frequency, I would be running everytihng synchrounous and jammin. I actually barely managed to break the 10,000 3dmark 06. I got 10,009 points. But I want the system stable when I do that.. and I mean no lockups, random program failures, computer reboots, or any funkyness like that. Specially since I am running two raptors in raid.. I know how those can fail..... power failure and bang, no more raid (not fun)
.
Shedding
Related resources
September 24, 2006 8:43:11 AM

PS: So is Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro better than artic silver 5? And is it the general consensus that the 9500 zalman is the way to go with the P5W DH Deluxe and Core 2 6800?
September 24, 2006 10:00:06 AM

If I'm reading you right, I think your mistaken. Arctic Silver 5 is the thermal paste used between the heatsink and the CPU. The AC Freezer Pro (which I use) is a hs/f. Honestly, its a damn nice price/performance ratio because it kicks ass and looks cool too :p  but if your looking for a high end extreme air cooled overclock, AC freezer pro is not for you.
September 24, 2006 9:02:41 PM

OMG man.. the The Tuniq Tower 120 is HUGE! I have this aluminum guide that directs airflow in my case, I don't think it will allow me to install the Tuniq.. however, I can always remove it if you think this is worth it. I have the Lian Li 201. The design is a bit screwy as everything is backwards.. The Hard drives and power supply are below to separate their heat from the motherboard and CPU. Do you still think it is worth getting the Tuniq?

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/Server_Full_Towe...
September 24, 2006 9:36:12 PM

What are your current CPU temps.... And what have you pushed the vcore to, a little extra vcore may push you over the 10k,,,,
September 25, 2006 12:19:36 AM

This is what I have my system setup as:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=123927

It is a CPU-Z Validation page. It is not stable.. craps out with ortho at around 1 hour 20 minutes. I think I have my core voltage at 1.375V . A bit leery of going higher, although people have said that it can take up to 1.5V.
September 25, 2006 8:20:03 AM

Another option, if your mobo supports is, it how about drop down to a 10x multiplier then up the FSB to 1375 ish.... This may eek out the extra points...

Also what memory are you running.... (edit) I found the RAM info on the link... As the ram is overspec atm are you sure it's not this that is giving out... Set the Ram 1:1 atm and see how far you can push the CPU, see is the CPU really if the limit not the RAM having issues...
September 25, 2006 8:56:21 AM

Well, I am not sure how I can maintain the 800Mhz native to the ram? I have to set an FSB multiplier to be a common denominator to 800 (can anyone correct me if I am wrong on this?) The next step would be 3600Mhz and 800Mhz ram (400*9 or 300*12) Can anyone tell me what is better to do.. up the FSB and lower the multiplier or lower the FSB and increase the multiplier. Never was too clear on this. Jamesgoddard.. what do you mean with the 1375? 1375*10=13750 not good. Let me know
Any help on this is appreciated.
September 25, 2006 9:11:43 AM

IMO best air* heat sink available is the Asetek Vapochill Micro. My chip idles at 20*c and gets to about 27*c on full load, sometimes it can get to 30*c if the room is very warm.


*It's not strictly air seeing as there is a refridgerant gas inside but for all intents and purposes it is.
September 25, 2006 11:11:26 AM

Quote:
Well, I am not sure how I can maintain the 800Mhz native to the ram? I have to set an FSB multiplier to be a common denominator to 800 (can anyone correct me if I am wrong on this?) The next step would be 3600Mhz and 800Mhz ram (400*9 or 300*12) Can anyone tell me what is better to do.. up the FSB and lower the multiplier or lower the FSB and increase the multiplier. Never was too clear on this. Jamesgoddard.. what do you mean with the 1375? 1375*10=13750 not good. Let me know
Any help on this is appreciated.


I was talking about the FSB after the "quad pumping" aka about 344 FSB with a x10 multiplier. This should be fine as the P5W is OK up to about 400FSB so I hear (I hope so cos I have a P5W on order atm)...

If the BIOS does not support the multiplier change then look into getting the 1405 bios version, link http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&... This BIOS supports the all the multi change features and would allow the x10 multi...

I think if you set the multi to x10, then set the RAM to 1:1, then see how far you can push it....

Note this BIOS version is officially BETA - but sounds good....
September 25, 2006 11:20:00 AM

PS I still think you are conservitive with the Vcore - 1.4 should be very very safe...
September 25, 2006 9:23:56 PM

Hey wusy.. I have the x6800. Where is your forum to check out the info? Let me know.
September 29, 2006 12:19:50 AM

Quote:

Actually talking about Scythe, you could also use Infinity with two 120mm in a push&pull setup.


Given that the Infinity only provides mounting brackets for one fan. How could I set this up??
September 29, 2006 12:49:00 AM

Crazy glue, silicon, multiple rubber bands, multiple home-made wire frames, some tape. << That would be the only self-made attachment I would trust. I wouldnt want a loose fan wringling at 16k RPM inside my case...
September 29, 2006 2:10:26 AM

Quote:
I wouldnt want a loose fan wringling at 16k RPM inside my case...


16K rpm... That could suck your hard drive right off it's mount.
September 29, 2006 3:20:07 AM

I saw a pretty good 120mm hs/f the other day with 10 heatpipes on it (well it's actually 5 but it goes up both sides so for all intended purposes, it's 10). It's the Scythe Infinity 5. If you replaced the current fan on it with, say, a silverstone fm121, then you'd get some good cooling there. HERE'S the URL for the page on NCIX.
September 29, 2006 4:15:25 AM

get a scythe mine, and replace the fan with a turbine 120 mm fan from xoxide. the stock mine gets about as good performance as any top heatsink. but replacing it with the turbine fan... the fan pushes like 3-4 times the air of the stock fan that comes with the mine. so you could only imagine what the performance would be.
September 29, 2006 4:26:54 AM

Quote:
I wouldnt want a loose fan wringling at 16k RPM inside my case...


16K rpm... That could suck your hard drive right off it's mount.
Yeh, I think he meant 16h(hecto) or 1.6k.

1.6k yes lol
16k would better be used to turn cows into steak...
September 29, 2006 4:32:21 AM

Quote:
get a scythe mine, and replace the fan with a turbine 120 mm fan from xoxide. the stock mine gets about as good performance as any top heatsink. but replacing it with the turbine fan... the fan pushes like 3-4 times the air of the stock fan that comes with the mine. so you could only imagine what the performance would be.


I considered the scythe MINE at first. But it has less heatpipes and its smaller than the Scythe Infinity. Definetly a nice choice in the 92mm section, but not the cutting-edge performance.
September 29, 2006 8:18:57 AM

I still haven't gotten a heatsink :)  . i will get one as soon as I get all the facts.. been reading quite a bit. You guys are awesome help btw. Also, you guys think that having Vcore at 1.375 is ok. I hear you can take it up to 1.5V safely (well., some say don't push it beyond 1.475). i will be posting pictures soon, so that you guys can see the clearance in my PC.. there is an aluminum guide (for lack of a better word) that leads outside air right on top of the stock heatsink. I might have to take that guide out in order to install some of the bigger HS/F out there.. I've seen them and they are HUGE...
September 29, 2006 8:45:11 AM

Ok.. these are the heatsinks I am considering.

Vapochill Micro
Tuniq Tower 120
Scythe Infinity

Any other suggestions. Out of those 3, it seems like the Vapochill Micro might give the best result, because of the vaporization technology it uses.
Shedding
September 29, 2006 8:47:19 AM

Damn Wusy.. you sure reply fast.
September 29, 2006 1:00:57 PM

Quote:
The mentioning of Vapochill Micro is forbidden in this forum.


But you just did?
September 29, 2006 1:48:07 PM

Quote:
Ok.. these are the heatsinks I am considering.

Vapochill Micro
Tuniq Tower 120
Scythe Infinity

Any other suggestions. Out of those 3, it seems like the Vapochill Micro might give the best result, because of the vaporization technology it uses.
Shedding

zap Vapochill Micro and replace it with Thermalright Ultra-120.
Then compare priced and go for the cheapest of three. Remember to add the price of extra fan if needed.

The mentioning of Vapochill Micro is forbidden in this forum.

Why is this an unmentionable?
September 29, 2006 2:02:58 PM

Quote:
I considered the scythe MINE at first. But it has less heatpipes and its smaller than the Scythe Infinity. Definetly a nice choice in the 92mm section, but not the cutting-edge performance.

I'm sure I read on the Scythe website that the Mine outperforms the Ninja with high airflow. It just might be the ultimate air cooling solution with a fan like the FM121.
September 29, 2006 2:52:23 PM

If by chance I wanted to get a Scythe infinity, would teh 46.5 CFM fan provided by it be enough? And if I was going to do a push-pull configuration, I should try to get a fan with the same amount of CFM on the other side right?
September 29, 2006 3:05:40 PM

I don't know much about the Infinity. Scythe heatsinks generally are designed to deliver the goods with low (or no) airflow - hence they're very quiet as well as good coolers. You ought to get excellent performance with the standard fan so you could maybe try that first and see how it goes.

I really couldn't say which of the Scythes will benefit most from high cfm fans. I'd guess that tightly spaced fins (Mine) will be better able to take advantage of faster airflow.
September 29, 2006 4:20:15 PM

Quote:
The fin density of Infinity is just as tight as Mine, Tower120 and Ultra-120 under the fan area.

Again, read this entire thread.


Rgr. The infinity arrived after my last buying round so I haven't read much about it. Someone made a comment...

Quote:
The real huge ones are ones with less fin density suitable for lower RPM fan like Scythe Ninja/Infinity.


:) 
September 29, 2006 5:13:11 PM

... In other words, doesn't matter?

Shrug, now I'm trying to puzzle out how I would get a second fan on there. I'll prolly ghetto-rig something out with wires, or double sided tape, although I really don't like the tape idea.
September 29, 2006 5:31:13 PM

Good idea. I'll grab my wirecutters and go to the local high school near my house. I'm sure they have some fence that wouldn't mind some holes in there :D 
September 29, 2006 8:46:30 PM

Quote:
The mentioning of Vapochill Micro is forbidden in this forum.


But you just did?
*BASTAGE*

Feel proud, your first bastage from me! :twisted:

Another scar for the collection.
September 29, 2006 9:24:54 PM

Quote:
... In other words, doesn't matter?

Well, Infinity+2x120mm 1600+RPM=super-duper uber
Making those wire frame isn't that hard, a sharp nose plier to bend wire and really hard fence wire.

Did that for my SLK-900U cuz I lost the wire clip for 92mm fans.

I've used thin-guage springs before. Like thin enough to fit through the fan screw holes and short enough to be stretched tight. To keep it from rattling, you can get self-adhesive foam and put little strips around the perimeter of the fan. Works like a charm.
September 30, 2006 4:55:07 AM

So the general consensus is go with the Scythe Infinity?? There is one thing I missed.. is there any technology (not water cooling..) that is painless to install, and you get better than air cooled temperatures (Condensator, air conditioner, vaporization, phase cooling, special heatpips, putting alcohol on the heatsinks...)
Shed
September 30, 2006 5:53:34 AM

Quote:
So the general consensus is go with the Scythe Infinity?? There is one thing I missed.. is there any technology (not water cooling..) that is painless to install, and you get better than air cooled temperatures (Condensator, air conditioner, vaporization, phase cooling, special heatpips, putting alcohol on the heatsinks...)
Shed


The humidity is low where I live so condensation really isn't a problem on subambient systems. But if I set up a phase or TEC system, I'd still want to gasket it for those times when weather blows in. I set up an industrial system last spring that had to live in a high temperature environment and ended up plumbing an air conditioner into the cabinet. We had an aluminum plenum made up with a little sump so any condensation would likely form at the plenum then drain out rather than form around the electricals. It worked great. I'm thinking about making a cabinet to enclose our HTPC and two game boxes and pump air conditioned air into it. Others have done this with success too.
October 1, 2006 8:01:16 AM

Sounds like the server room in the place I work, the computers are huge, 3feet wide by 8feet high, but the interesting thing is how they are cooled, special filters are place on the air conditioner. there are 4 of these computes, the fan that is used in the room is sort of the same as a barn fan. The temps in the room is 60c but I can say when the cooling system is shut down the room is very hot. When there is a fire drill the air system is shut down and a few times I went to clean the room and it was way to hot to even bother to go in that night. The room and the way it is cooled and the size of these systems are something the mainframes actually slide in and out of the slots very interesting setup and cooling..
October 1, 2006 12:30:47 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the server room in the place I work, the computers are huge, 3feet wide by 8feet high, but the interesting thing is how they are cooled, special filters are place on the air conditioner. there are 4 of these computes, the fan that is used in the room is sort of the same as a barn fan. The temps in the room is 60c but I can say when the cooling system is shut down the room is very hot. When there is a fire drill the air system is shut down and a few times I went to clean the room and it was way to hot to even bother to go in that night. The room and the way it is cooled and the size of these systems are something the mainframes actually slide in and out of the slots very interesting setup and cooling..


Yes, when the A/C goes down, IT guys can get busy replacing HDs and rebuilding arrays cause the heat blast takes out weak HDs. I also was in a server room this summer when the A/C died and it was like a furnace - easily 110F.
October 4, 2006 5:58:19 AM

Jeeze... Put a fan in a window!!! That or get a window unit to keep that from happening! Do you have a window.
October 4, 2006 7:28:09 AM

Quote:
Jeeze... Put a fan in a window!!! That or get a window unit to keep that from happening! Do you have a window.


New building, servers in basement, no windows, no money left for mods. Typical forward-looking IT management...
!