Double check my partitioning scheme please

Nedkt

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
How does my partitioning scheme look for this 3 drive system?

74 gig Raptor 1 (OS, apps and data)
Partition 1 – Win 32 OS + apps (30 gig)
Partition 2 – temp files (500 meg, a bit more?)
Partition 3 – primary data files (41 gig)

74 gig Raptor 2 (primarily back-up)
Partition 1 – pagefile (1 gig)
Partition 2 – back-up/mirror of Raptor 1 partition 1: OS + apps
Partition 3 – back-up/mirror of Raptor 1 partition 3: primary data files

74 gig Raptor 3 (gaming)
Partition 1 – pagefile (1 gig)
Partition 2 – games (50 gig, a few very heavily played on-line games may get their own partition)
Partition 3 – reserved (20 gig)

Notes: The back-up drive is raptor because I have it and, to a lesser extent, because I wanted that pagefile on a fast drive. I am not going raid-1 on raptors 1 and 2 because I wanted the performance from disk 1 and the pagefile on disk 2 to stay at the highest possible level.

Also note, my system is running 4 gig of RAM (not that windows recognizes all of it).

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
To be honest, I'd do the following;

74 gig Raptors 1 and 2 in RAID 1;

Partition 1 - Win 32 OS (30Gb)
Partition 2 - Data (rest)

74 gig Raptor 3 as standalone;

Partition 1 - Pagefile and Temporary files (5Gb)
Partition 2 - Games (50Gb)
Partition 3 - Reserved (rest)

If you *really* want to avoid having any performance hit from the RAID (and tbh, RAID 1 shouldn't affect anything unless you've got a *really* crappy controller - even software RAID 1 doesn't exactly load a CPU, especially on SATA), then I'd do the same as above, but not RAID the Raptors - just schedule a job to copy the OS partition and the Data every so often.

Sticking the temp files on the same drive as your OS and primary data files means that it's trying to read and write from at least 2 places at once. Same for the pagefile on the 3rd Raptor (I only tend to go into my pagefile when I'm gaming), but in this case as you've got 4Gb of RAM I suspect that won't be a problem!