OCZ GameXStream 700W... silent enough?

ghalk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Is the OCZ GameXStream 700W silent enough?

Or should I go with the PC power and cooling silencer 750W instead, which is about 60$ more expensive?

Ty.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
Is the OCZ GameXStream 700W silent enough?

Or should I go with the PC power and cooling silencer 750W instead, which is about 60$ more expensive?

Ty.

I have the 700W OCZ GXT PSU and it's virtually silent to me. Most silent PC i've ever owned.

ghalk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
video editing?

BTW getting back to my question... any mor eopinions on how much of a noise this PSU produces?

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
:oops:

Heh... Wouldn't you be better off with like a Quadro/FireGL/Matrox card if that's all you do?

Never said it's *all* i do either. It's also my gaming rig. I don't dig the whole multiple computers for multiple tasks thing, so i built "one for all". Anyways, about the Quadro/FireGL/Matrox, i've answered this one alot, so i'll be breif. Most consumer graphics applications derive absolutely no benefit whatsoever from OGL workstation cards. All image editing program, like photoshop or after effects, don't have anything to do with your graphics card whatsoever, it's all CPU.

Now 3D modeling applications (which i use all the time) like Lightwave 3D, 3DS MAX, Maya, etc... obviously require a decent 3D accelerator, but still don't benefit from an OGL workstation card. Rendering is all CPU power, has nothing to do with the graphics card. The only aspect that does have to do with graphics card is the actual real-time rendering of models when your editing them and laying them out, and that is as simple as any modern game does, in fact simpler in most cases.

Now people that really benefit from Quadro/FireGL/Matrox cards are people who do CAD work, with programs that use very complex vector algorithms, computers with extremely large displays (5120+ pixels) and people who need things like dual link DVI. I used to own a FireGL in my previous home workstation, there was no more benefit from it for me than any high end gaming card could provide. So when it came time to build this workstation, i choose a much cheaper high end gaming card, that would perform orders of magnitude better in games and still perform the same in other applications.

Well so there you go... turned out not to be so short an explaination after all, and i'm sure u stopped reading a long time ago, but what the hell. :)

And now that we've hijacked ghalk's thread sufficiantly, i return his thread to him, with my apologies. 8)