tiger direct canada is expensive

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Have you guys notice Tigerdirect.ca store sell PC stuff at higher price than other Canadian computer stores? I check out the price of Asus motherboard, RAM, LCD monitors and they cost 30% higher.

clarkboyo

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
yeah, they do have a bit more expensive stuff ie. core 2 duo e6300 =232 @ TD while its $192 @ ncix. But I think it's because TD is a public company (hence the .ca ending) while other stores (ncix, directcanada etc..) are either private or american owned. But, I can go use TD to get a 10% cheaper item at bestbuy because TD has a .ca ending.

Phish

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
The Canadian dollar is over 5% stronger, and still most items on the Tiger Canada site are 20% and MORE over the American prices. - In addition, you can't even buy from the american site if you are Canadian, any other country is fine... only Canadians are being shown prejudice. I realize this is because they have to make their .ca company happy, but seriously, if the .ca company is getting greedy -they should be able to be bypassed.

I do like some of their pricing - yeah, most of their computer stuff is outdated for the price - (yes, that would have been a good price a year ago thanx) but for other stuff... cameras etc its pretty decent. Who wants to pay an extra 20-40% over the price you can see on the .com site!?!

Any suggestions for a better company?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
It's because most Canadian retailers didn't adjust thier pricing. And I don't think they will.

In comparison check vehicle pricing.

Like DeusEx said the company US base.

Phish

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, NCIX is ok, I've never been really impressed with their prices. Any local computer shop can put together their systems within 5-10% of their prices. I used to like Tiger, cause they would put together some pretty good bare-bone packages, all with rebates etc. - so it was possible to put together a really nice system for about $600 (minus the graphic card of course)

Phish

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Hey, I just bought a system through Canadadirect.com - cost $580. Same stuff on Tiger was $756, NCIX $640(about). Actually the cheapest I found was Newegg.com - but they only ship to the states, and the price was about 5%less than Canadadirect.com - so... thats my two cents!

jamay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Direct Canada have some pretty good prices on select "hot" items, but they don't offer nearly as many options than NCIX. They do offer free shipping, though :)