Using a wide screen LCD monitor??

Rairun

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Hi
Do you think using a wide screen LCD monitor will cause problems when playing some games?Because some games don't support a wide screen resolution.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi
Do you think using a wide screen LCD monitor will cause problems when playing some games?Because some games don't support a wide screen resolution.

Hey Rair,
I DO know that many of the newer games support a wide screen resolutions. I read somewhere on another forum when a poster was asking about that and the reply was something to the effect of opening up the game console and entering a script to enable this feature.

Unfortunately I don't know what the answer to that was, but I do know it can be done. Let's say it was for COD2.....I think all you would have to do is go to the game forum for that game and post the question if it's not ALREADY in a "STICKY". Cuz if you think about it, widescreens have been mainstream now for quite some time and there is NO DOUBT that question has come up time and again and has been SOLVED by now.

I'm positive that problem has been solved by the techies by now :wink:

Try "googling" ie "widescreen resolutions Fear" for example and you will probably get tons of hits on that subject. I plan on getting a widescreen myself once I recover from the cost of my rig :p

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 G HDD / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w

henry54

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
I have just purchased a widescreen and almost all the games I have loaded in have supported widescreen. HL2, Dark Messiah demo, NR2003, Company Heroes demo, COD2 all supported widescreen. However, America's Army does not support widescreen.

void

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I have screen of 1680x1050. When I play game which doesn't support this resolution, I use 1280x1024 and NO resize. although part of the screen is wasted, it still works well

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
The only game I own that doesn't allow for a proper widescreen resolution and aspect ratio is Battlefield2. F.E.A.R., Doom3, Half-Life2, Age of Empires III, Far Cry, Hitman: Blood Money, UT2004, and Trackmania Nations all have widescreen support of some sort.

Rairun

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
this question has been asked and answered far too many times on this forum alone to dignify a response. i could give you the website that would answer your questions but instead go to hell you lazy little POS.

Oh,thanks mate,that's very kind of you.
By the way, you are a moron:)

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Come on now, just because someone else is a jerk it doesn't mean we can't all play nice.

To the OP's question, in a word, yes.

The more in depth answer: Sometimes, it depends. Some modern games don't support widescreen (CivCity Rome, I'm looking right at you), and you monitor might adapt by stretching the screen. That isn't really a problem, as you get used to it quick and it doesn't affect gameplay. I expect this will be less common as widescreens will be more common in the future.

Lots of older games don't support it because there was nothing like a widescreen monitor until a couple years ago. How this is resolved is depending on if the game can be windowed (which will be fine) or only runs in full screen. If it's fullscreen only (say like X-COM) then you may have problems, as it won't be black bars down the sides, but (if my experience is anything to go by) instead off one side with some beyond the screen, rendering the game pretty much unplayable. So your retro gaming days might be afflicted by disfunctional full-screen settings.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Go to Widesrceengaming.com and look for the games that you play.

If supported then do not worry. If not then do not worry.

As stated most widescreens will allow for a down res.

My 20.1" 1680x1050 works well with nearly everything I play.

UT2k4 has native support COD too. COD UO != supported (go figure).

Once you go widescreen you will not go back especially with multiple document handling.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Ignore Stranger, he's a prick that takes affront to many things, and you're in the wrong if you don't have the same opinion as him. There's at least one in every crowd.