Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cheap N' Cheerful Almost-Silent Case w/305mm Fan!

Last response: in Overclocking
September 24, 2006 11:49:32 AM

Yes, you read it right. Here's what I did, and you'll have to forgive me for not being able to post pix, but ever since my friend dropped my cell phone in the boiling pasta water, the camera hasn't worked too well! :roll:

The side of my computer desk is a two shelf wooden bookcase. On the top shelf's back panel I mounted my mobo vertically right into the wood (with spacers), at the very top of the bookcase by the rear I cut a 12"x1" slot for cable access and air out, I plunked all my HDs, CDs, PSU, etc. just sitting on the shelf, then cut a piece of fiberboard to fit the power switch, CD opening and the 305mm fan. Now where did I get a monster fan like this and how much did it cost? About ten bucks at the local DIY store. It's a 12" AC metal/plastic desk fan! I took the front screen off, dismantled the base, screwed the fan speed buttons onto the side of the bookcase, bolted it to the wood and presto! Massive air movement, virtually silent operation (I tested about a dozen fans at the store to find the quietest one) and no drain on your PSU since it's plugged right into the wall!

The HDs are right in front of the fan and they are reading in the mid 20s C. I've got a Preskillet 3.6 so the Zalman 7700 is doing its best at keeping it under 50C at idle, (regardless of Zalman fan speed as it's getting its cooling from the AC fan) but it's performed in the same way in the three previous cases I had this system in. The amount of air coming out the rear slot will wave a handkerchief like a flag at the lowest fan speed setting.

Now, the question I have is about the PSU. I have three fans in it and they sound like a 747 on takeoff. If I move the PSU right into the airstream of the fan next to the HDs, could I rip the PSU fans out and just let the big monster take care of the PSU cooling? That way I could have a virtually silent air system and the whole case/cooling costs me less than a large pizza.

Yes, I'm aware that there is a lot of voltage inside a PSU even after unplugging it so I wouldn't fry myself in pulling the fans out! 8)

I am also wondering about ripping the top off one of those Peltier portable refrigerated cooler boxes and mounting it atop and behind the fan at a 30 degree angle to vertical. In a previous incarnation I had my window air conditioner ducted into the case and for the first time ever I saw an idle speed off the Prescooker of under 30C. The cooling unit would be outside the "case" thus even if there was any condensation from it, the water would just drip onto the floor and not anywhere near the electronics.

So, what do you think?
September 24, 2006 8:03:18 PM

Nice
September 24, 2006 8:06:25 PM

Thanks, uber_g! Any thoughts on killing the PSU fans and avoiding a meltdown? :) 
Related resources
September 24, 2006 8:12:10 PM

take out the fans and maybe leaving the top side of the PSU oped so the fan could hit it
September 24, 2006 8:35:53 PM

I would just take the top of the PSU and even tip it at a 45 degree angle and use it as a duct to push more air from the fan over the insides of the PSU.

Be careful though! Amperage = deaderage :p 
September 25, 2006 6:06:22 PM

Quote:

How long until an unplugged PSU drains all the way down? It can't stay in there forever, can it?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: 
September 25, 2006 6:52:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, you read it right. Here's what I did, and you'll have to forgive me for not being able to post pix, but ever since my friend dropped my cell phone in the boiling pasta water, the camera hasn't worked too well! :roll:

The side of my computer desk is a two shelf wooden bookcase. On the top shelf's back panel I mounted my mobo vertically right into the wood (with spacers), at the very top of the bookcase by the rear I cut a 12"x1" slot for cable access and air out, I plunked all my HDs, CDs, PSU, etc. just sitting on the shelf, then cut a piece of fiberboard to fit the power switch, CD opening and the 305mm fan. Now where did I get a monster fan like this and how much did it cost? About ten bucks at the local DIY store. It's a 12" AC metal/plastic desk fan! I took the front screen off, dismantled the base, screwed the fan speed buttons onto the side of the bookcase, bolted it to the wood and presto! Massive air movement, virtually silent operation (I tested about a dozen fans at the store to find the quietest one) and no drain on your PSU since it's plugged right into the wall!

The HDs are right in front of the fan and they are reading in the mid 20s C. I've got a Preskillet 3.6 so the Zalman 7700 is doing its best at keeping it under 50C at idle, (regardless of Zalman fan speed as it's getting its cooling from the AC fan) but it's performed in the same way in the three previous cases I had this system in. The amount of air coming out the rear slot will wave a handkerchief like a flag at the lowest fan speed setting.

Now, the question I have is about the PSU. I have three fans in it and they sound like a 747 on takeoff. If I move the PSU right into the airstream of the fan next to the HDs, could I rip the PSU fans out and just let the big monster take care of the PSU cooling? That way I could have a virtually silent air system and the whole case/cooling costs me less than a large pizza.

Yes, I'm aware that there is a lot of voltage inside a PSU even after unplugging it so I wouldn't fry myself in pulling the fans out! 8)

I am also wondering about ripping the top off one of those Peltier portable refrigerated cooler boxes and mounting it atop and behind the fan at a 30 degree angle to vertical. In a previous incarnation I had my window air conditioner ducted into the case and for the first time ever I saw an idle speed off the Prescooker of under 30C. The cooling unit would be outside the "case" thus even if there was any condensation from it, the water would just drip onto the floor and not anywhere near the electronics.

So, what do you think?
I wouldn't tempt fate too much. I would just throw a couple silent fans in the PSU, to replace the offending noise-makers. GL :) 
September 25, 2006 9:48:44 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't tempt fate too much. I would just throw a couple silent fans in the PSU, to replace the offending noise-makers. GL :) 

I've looked at the various Silent PSUs on newegg et al. but I figure that I have so much damn airflow going through that case, it's really redundant to have PSU fans. I was thinking of putting the fan-decapitated PSU right smack dab in front of the huge fan and maybe fitting a cowl onto it to duct even more air into it. What can it do other than melt? 8O
September 26, 2006 1:46:05 AM

Quote:

amperage killed my old rig :( 
September 28, 2006 12:48:52 AM

You put all this effort into modding the desk and fan and all, why not the covering for the PSU? I would recomend cutting most of the metal away from the PSU cover (after it's been removed from the PSU of course). Create a sort of framework out of the cover, maybe leaving a centimeter or so of material. Then I would cut some screen to size and use that to fill the gap created. Then, I'd strip out the fans (or do so in the beginning, doesn't matter) and find a place in front of all that airflow. That should be sufficient to ensure quiet cooling. The benefit to doing ths is that you aren't messing with the power circuits too much, and you'll end up with a protective cover after also.
September 28, 2006 6:13:13 AM

Great idea. I like it. Thanks!

But how long does the PSU hold electricity inside it after it's unplugged? Any way to check that I wouldn't inadverdently get fried?
September 28, 2006 6:53:09 AM

Goodbye LAN parties.
September 28, 2006 10:07:30 AM

I dunno. It's all on how well everything is built. If it's really sturdy and well braced, everything should be ok. I'd be far more worried carting around a tower case with a 1kg+ HSF hanging off the mobo. That's a CRACK waiting to happen! :) 
September 28, 2006 11:16:18 AM

Quote:
Goodbye LAN parties.

Unless the Lan Party comes to him.

I did something similiar to your setup last year, except instead of screwing the MoBo into a bookcase, I screwed it into the bones of my skull (used spacers). I wear the various power cords like a G-string. Well, not really.

Seriously tho this sounds like a sweet set-up - would like to see some photos when you can scare up a camera!
September 28, 2006 2:50:16 PM

Well, I gotta get a new cell phone anyway since it's sticky and smells of old pasta. I'll try to get some pix up in a week or two.
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 14, 2012 5:58:11 AM

Erm he probably doesn't have that anymore as this thread is over six years old,
Thread necro award!
:) 
Moto
September 14, 2012 9:35:37 AM

This topic has been closed by Proximon
!