how much will a colour generally print ?

Hello,

I am getting a free printer with my new computer, it'll be a Dell 720
colour ink printer. I presume it's budget-end and being phased out but
what the heck, it's free!

I know that different ink printers consume different amounts of ink,
but since I have never owned an ink printer before, is there anyway I
can estimate more or less how much I will get out of one colour patron
(containing all 3 colours)?

All those estimates @ 5% coverage mean nothing to me. How do I relate
to 5%? I plan to print 12x12 centimetre graphics (130 to 250 dpi,
varying) on plain white bleached office paper with colour more or less
in every pixel.

Is it at all possible to estimate how many such images I will be able
to print? 5? 10? 30?

Thanks for any suggestions!

/peter

zakezuke

> I am getting a free printer with my new computer, it'll be a Dell 720
> colour ink printer. I presume it's budget-end and being phased out but
> what the heck, it's free!

Great... so long as you didn't pay shipping on it.

> I know that different ink printers consume different amounts of ink,
> but since I have never owned an ink printer before, is there anyway I
> can estimate more or less how much I will get out of one colour patron
> (containing all 3 colours)?

Well first of all:
[note as I don't own the dell 720 take these numbers with a grain of
salt]

T0529 black 410 Pages Yield @ 5%
20.5p@100% yield
T0530 275 Pages Yield @ 5%
13.75p@100% yield

Assuming you buy the full sized tanks.

a4 is 210×297 MM so the area is 62370mm^2
The area your talking is 120mmx120mm so 14400mm^2

So roughly 23%
20.5p*4.33125 = 88.790625p @ 23% yield
13.75p*4.33125= 59.5546875p @ 23% yield

This is assuming a 120mmx120mm square saturated 100% which might be
accurate for images of gothic churches at night.
176p @ 11.5% yield black
119p @ 11.5% yield color

Reality could be very different, but this should give you some concept
on consumption.

"Guermantes" <askforit@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello,

Printing photos means 95% coverage or higher. 5% is a text document with
some of the text in different colours. Simply convert the 5% to 95% and you
get the actual number of pages.

Well, not quite. Usually in color printers, the yield numbers are
quoted as 5% per color. An average photograph doesn't have anything
like 95% per color, as that would make it almost solid black.

I would say a 40-60% coverage per color might be more typical. Lighter
images could have less, darker ones more.

Art