ASROCK Motherboard for Conroe

yonir

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hi,
I want to buy a computer at a relatively low budget.
I was thinking about the following motherboard for Conroe E6300: ASROCK ConRoe945G-DVI s775, 945G, DDRII 667, PCI-E
I've heard that a normal motherboard for Conroe costs about 180$ (converted to USD from local currency)
This motherboard only costs 100$ but I've had recommandations for it.
I plan on using the on board graphics card which I understood is quite weak, but the computer is not intended for gaming. (possibly I will upgrade to a seperate card at the future if there is need)
What do you think about it?

The rest of the PC I plan on buying for reference:
Conroe E6300 processor
1GB TWINMOS DDR2 667 memory
250GB 7200RPM Western digital 16MB hard drive
LG DVDRW GSA-H10AB

yonir

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Any other comments about the motherboard except about the graphics card?
(Actually I don't really know what makes a good mother board except the technical details of the number/ type of connections on it and the graphics card for an OB one)

glockman

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
(Actually I don't really know what makes a good mother board except the technical details of the number/ type of connections on it and the graphics card for an OB one)

What makes a good MB to one person might be meaningless to another. It doesn't sound like you plan to do any gaming but if you were then ability to overclock the processor and RAM might be important. If you were building a server then sockets for multiple processors would be important as well as RAID options and possibly multiple NICs. If you are just looking to build an 'everyday' system then price might be your biggest issue as long as the interfaces you need are there and it provides a stable platform for your system and a decent warranty.

Some other considerations might be Intel's Viiv if you are building a media computer or vPro if you are building corporate desktops.

Make yourself a list of the things that are important to you and match up a model of mobo that has as many of the features important to you as possible and is in your price range!

yonir

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I see, so as an average user - I don't plan overclocking, and it has all the ports i need - do you think this motherboard is good for me? (Does it provide a stable platform for my system? :>)

glockman

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I think it is a good brand, maybe not as popular as ASUS or Abit but it is quality stuff - yes it should provide a stable platform!

You mentioned Conroe boards being ~ $180 and this one at $100, FYI: Intel actually makes several boards that come in just over $100 if you aren't sure about ASRock.